Advanced Character ProfileCharacter Name: Shiratori
Miyu (白鳥 みゆ)
Her surname contains the kanji for "white" and "bird." When these kanji are used together but pronounced as "hakuchou," this is the Japanese word for "swan."
In her past life, she was known as Fionnuala, commonly called "Nuala."Gender:
FemaleAge and Date of Birth:
13; June 29Used Canons:
Sailor Lir is not a canon character, but she is designed to fit into the Sailor Moon manga, 90s anime, live action, or Crystal anime universes as needed. Sailor Lir is inspired by the "Children of Lir" legend, fairy tales like "The Wild Swans" and "The Six Swans," and the "Swan Lake" ballet. Fionnuala was the eldest and wisest of the Children of Lir, and the only daughter.Appearance:
Miyu has a graceful and ethereal look. Her light skin is very smooth and evenly toned. Standing at 158cm/5'2", she has a long and slender neck, delicate features, a nearly flat chest, small waist, and slim and lanky legs. Her dark brown eyes are framed with long lashes. Her dark strawberry blonde hair has loose bangs that she can easily pin back for ballet. It is rather long, but almost never seen not primly tucked into a bun.
Miyu has two common states of dress: her school uniform or her ballet attire. She attends the elite private school T*A Academy for Girls. She wears dark tights with her uniform, unlike the white knee socks of most students. When heading to ballet classes, Miyu can be seen in a variety of dance and warm-up attire. However, her school has a strict dress code and she must wear black leotards with no embellishment unless she is taking private lessons with a more lenient teacher.Personality:
Miyu is a level-headed and responsible girl, despite her age. She has learned patience and fortitude from her devotion to ballet. Taking dance classes seriously, with an intent to be a professional dancer in the future, requires discipline. This is a trait that Miyu has developed and honed over several years. When she was a small child, ballet was just a fun hobby. When she was old enough to pursue higher training, she convinced her parents to allow her to progress with her determination. Others describe her as a "mature" or "thinking older than her age". When there is something she wants, she does not balk from the hard work needed to reach it. This benefits her at school--it is strictness with herself that makes it possible for Miyu to balance her schoolwork and her dance training without either suffering.
This focus has isolated her from schoolmates, and the natural rivalries with some of the others in her ballet class has prevented her from making many friends. Miyu is unfamiliar with the actions needed to develop and nurture a friendship. She is too busy to understand how lonely she sometimes feels, but she recognizes that something is missing in her life. There is really no one she can turn to for a sympathetic ear or a fun afternoon out. Overwhelmingly positive relationships with her immediate family have been what keeps her from being a sad and lonely junior high school girl. She tends to keep herself distracted with work, even if she has to create that work, when in a scenario where other girls' friendships remind her that she lacks them. That's not to say that she is unfriendly or cold with others, but she keeps to herself and often feels tongue-tied with inexperience. This is frequently misinterpreted as polite disinterest. She knows that other students view her as a "nice girl" who "doesn't say much" and "is just so busy all the time".
Beneath Miyu's calm and hardworking exterior is a sensitive girl who has a hard time accepting praise and takes all criticism too deeply. She is too proud to burst into tears in front of others when receiving disapproval or harsh critique, but she might cry about it when she is next alone. She sees her own weaknesses much more than she can notice her strengths. This leads her to demand a lot of herself--sometimes too much--and be very upset if she fails to live up to the goals she has set. A perfectionist, she wants everything to be just so--particularly if she is the one in control. She does not accept that there will always be things beyond her control and sometimes even her best efforts will not be enough, even though she has and will continue to experience this. She broods over negativity and takes it too much to heart.
She is very kind to others, nitpicking only her own faults while glossing over those belonging to others. Miyu regularly compliments other dancers at her studio, shares useful information even when she has not been asked, and likes helping other students at school. She believes that other people are mostly good at heart, and acts based on those convictions. Miyu tries not to make snap judgments about those she doesn't know very well. She gives them the benefit of the doubt even if their actions seem to imply ill will. This makes it hard for her to leap into battle as a sailor soldier if the goal is to kill the enemies; she wants to help them change their ways and repent, not just punish them for their deeds. If given the opportunity to give someone another chance, she will.Any Unique Abilities/Skills:
• As a descendant of a swan maiden, it is possible for her to call swans to her aid and indirectly communicate with them.
• Miyu is a talented dancer with natural acuity for ballet. She has enviable flexibility, turnout, and strength, as well as physical proportions.History:
Prior to the modern day, the Lir was a small and rural planet that we now know as 2003 AZ84. Due to the distant location and lack of development, it was not part of the court of Queen Serenity. The mostly peaceful and sleepy planet was left to its own devices, where the people hardly dreamed of a world beyond their own.
Fionnuala and her three younger brothers were the children of King Lir and Queen Aoibh. They lived in a cottage--for in this world, even the king had very little above what his people possessed--in the depths of the forest. In these years, they were very happy. Unfortunately, when Fionnuala was still quite young, the queen became ill and died.
It was not long that the children were motherless, for their father married their aunt who became Queen Aoife. Despite her nearly-identical appearance to the mourned queen, she very little resembled her sweet and loving sister. Aoife was an ambitious and cunning woman with a heart of spite. She resented the beautiful children of her sister and grew jealous of the relationship the four shared with their father.
Aoife had learning and ideas beyond that of most people of Lir. She believed that there was a greater world above the skies and that greater power could be manifest in people who desired it. The new queen sought teachings and information of magic and other abilities, notably from the outcast "mad wizard," Rothbart. She soon mastered many as a skilled sorceress. Aoife aimed to kill the children and the king, to reign unopposed over the kingdom.
However, when she finally had the opportunity, Aoife could not bring herself to murder the children. Instead, she used her magic to turn them into swans and cursed them to wander the land for 900 years before they could be freed. Unfortunately for the queen, she was unable to gain control of Lir. The fall of the Moon kingdom reached even this remote planet, rendering it still and lifeless.
It is not clear why the holder of the Lir sailor crystal was reborn on Earth. She had no ties with the Silver Millennium.
In the modern day, Shiratori Miyu is the eldest child and only daughter of a salaryman father and (sadly, deceased) composer mother. She has three younger brothers--Miki (11), Jin (9), and Rei (7). Their mother died of an illness when Rei was still a toddler; Miyu was 9. Their father remarried shortly thereafter to a distant cousin from their mother's side. Miyu and her siblings have a generally positive relationship with their stepmother, although she is very different from their mother.
Miyu's passion is ballet. Dancing to her mother's piano pieces are some of her earliest memories. Her mother encouraged Miyu and enrolled her in a dance academy in elementary school. The young girl showed talent and potential, and her family supported increased training. They even relocated to Azabu-Juuban so that Miyu could attend Tokyo Imperial Ballet School, the training academy for the prestigious Tokyo Imperial Ballet.
Miyu's power as Sailor Lir is dormant, only to be awakened in scenarios where the sailor soldiers of the Solar System need additional support or those where her homeworld, Lir, is threatened by Chaos.Other Noteworthy Facts:
• Both queens belonged to a bloodline of swan maidens--women who took the form of swans during the day and removed their feather cloaks at night to become women. If their feather cloaks were hidden by someone else (such as their husbands), they would remain women until they could wear their cloaks once more. This family resonated with the planet, Lir, and a number of ancestors possessed sailor crystals. However, most of the time there was no need for a sailor guardian and they lived civilian lives. There were a few who became Sailor Lir, and this survived in some fairy tales about a "queen of swans" who purified the land.
• This character's first name was inspired by ballerinas Misa Kuranaga and Miko Fogarty--she shares their "mi" and has a two-syllable name.
• Her birthdate is the date of the constellation Cygnus's culmination.
• Her brothers are named after: Mikhail Baryshnikov (Miki), Vaslav Nijinsky (Jin), and Rudolf Nureyev (Rei).Star Sign
: CancerBlood Type
: Ballet and photographyFavourite Sport
: BALLETFavourite Colour
: Emerald greenFavourite Subject
: Physical EducationLeast Favourite Subject
: HistoryFavourite Food
: French friesLeast Favourite Food
: TomatoesWeak Point
: To be a performing ballerina with a famous companyStoryline Specific Information:
Senshi InformationSenshi Name:
Sailor LirRealms of Influence:
Dance, swans, grace, and purityTransformation Phrase:
"Lir Power, Make Up!"Senshi Uniform:
Sailor Lir wears a sleeveless white bodice with princess seams. Her sailor collar is white with two thin silver stripes along the edge. Instead of a bow at the front of her uniform, there is a cluster of feathers beneath a central silver trillion-cut diamond. White feathers decorate top edge of the arm scythes of her bodice, somewhat like sleeves but not very substantial in density or length.
Her skirt is not a pleated skirt, but instead a stiff classical tutu in white. It reaches 38cm/15in in length, straight outward from her low waist, and has thirteen layers of tulle. The top layer of the tutu is decorated with white cockerel tail feathers and wing-patterned white lace embellished with small white and silver beads to add sparkle. The decorated placket of the tutu blends seamlessly with the bodice of her uniform. She has a small bustled bow of white tulle with a silver sparkle gathered at the small of her back. A slight train of it hangs down in two sections like the tails of a bow, roughly above the knee length.
She wears ballet pink tights with a decorative seam down the back of each leg. Ballet pink satin pointe shoes serve as her footwear, the ribbons tied neatly around her ankles . These shoes are decorated with white gemstones and feather-like lace along the throat of the shoe, near the drawstring.
Her gloves are a sheer white material reaching several inches above the elbow. The top hem is decorated with circle of short and voluminous white feathers. Her gloves do not cover her fingers; they form a v-shape over the back of her hand, looping around her middle finger. On each hand there is a triangle-shaped diamond where the glove anchors to her finger, similar to the gemstone on the front of her uniform. A white satin ribbon with a trillion-cut white jewel at the center forms her choker. Her eyes are ringed with slightly smudged black eyeliner in a way that gives the impression of the facial markings of a swan.
Her hair ornaments and tiara are one piece, a feathered white headdress that covers her ears with poofs of short white feathers. Longer white feathers cascade down from the top of her head, blending with the sections that cover her ears. At the very top of her head is a small bloom of white plumage. In the center is a shimmering white gemstone and several pearls. A larger teardrop-shaped pearl touches the high center of her forehead. Four chains of small diamonds connect the pearl to her headdress, two on either side of the central feather cluster. Narrow bar-shaped silver earrings of approximately an inch in length dangle from where her earlobes would be, beneath the headdress.Powers:
• "Feather Divertissement!"
- Sailor Lir rises on pointe and gracefully raises her arms to high fifth and rotates and extends them so her palms are facing outward. Soft piano music wafts in on a gentle breeze that floats around her. As she begins to dance, small white feathers drift in, encircling her. They collect around her, increasing in size and density. She swiftly poses in first arabesque, causing the feather cloud to burst outward around her, striking enemies. The feathers are sharp and charged with energy. Some shielding abilities are able to block them. This is a low to moderate power attack affecting multiple opponents with physical and magic damage.
• "Swanlet Shelter!"
- She executes two ronds de jambe à terre, dragging the tip of her toes along the ground in a semi-circle, first on the right side and then the left. The curves that she traces on the ground glow with brilliant white light, and a lattice rises around her, encapsulating her inside of an egg-shaped shield. This barrier absorbs the energy of attacks directed at it, allocating that power to Sailor Lir. It fades after absorbing a moderate amount of energy. This is a defensive maneuver. It only immediately protects Sailor Lir and potentially someone held very close to her, although other allies could stand behind it and be somewhat protected.
• "Silver Pirouette!"
- Sailor Lir springs her left leg to relevé and pulls her right leg to retiré with the toe touching her left knee, whipping her arms to to first position in front of her, curved and at a low height, as she spins on the tip of her toe. She executes a series of eight fouetté turns, each time extending the right leg out and bending the left leg to plié to generate momentum for the next turn. Each turn sends out a small shockwave of energy that follows the path of her movement, the size of each wave increases. She ends with a triple pirouette, and when she lands neatly in fifth position the combined energy from those three turns, shimmering bright and silver, slams into her opponent. It can physically shove a target backwards. The speed of her attack is performed much faster than typically seen in a ballet performance. Combined with the shockwaves generated, this makes it extremely difficult to interrupt her attack. This is a moderate to high power attack that damages a single target.
• "Crowning Coda Finale!"
- For this attack, Sailor Lir dances a pas de deux without a partner, as though she is being supported by an invisible second dancer. This dance enraptures those watching it, sometimes compelling enemies to join in. Her body shimmers with energy and power as the short variation reaches its crescendo. As she strikes her final pose, the power that has been gathering shoots upwards and rains down on all those within a five meter radius. Allies are healed and opponents are purified or damaged depending on their alignment with evil and Sailor Lir's concentration. This attack initially distracts opponents from the ongoing battle. This is a high power attack that impacts multiple targets. This maneuver is physically exhausting for Sailor Lir and she typically cannot complete it more than once in a given battle.
• "Swan Song!"
- This is Sailor Lir's forbidden attack. It will overpower or heal an opponent or ally typically too powerful for her attacks to impact, but she will die in the process.
• Winged Feet
- Sailor Lir is capable of flight, even without Sailor Wings. Her shoes can sprout small wings from the back of the ankle that allow her to fly and hover. (This is also a ballet pun--a winged ankle is bent away from the center of the body when the foot is pointed.)Magical Items:
• Enchanted Quill
- A small hair comb in the shape of a gently curved silver feather, decorated white small white gemstones. Miyu typically wears this tucked into the base of her bun. This is Sailor Lir's transformation item. It is supposedly modeled after a feather from her swan maiden mother in her past life.
- When appropriate, Miyu has a communicator in the same style that allows her to connect with other sailor soldiers.
• Swan Cloak
- Her history as Princess Nuala enables her to access the powers of a swan maiden, wearing a cloak of feathers that can transform her into a swan. She is able to master this ability to transform her appearance in other ways for disguise properties, not limited to only a swan.RP Sample:
"Lir Power, Make Up!
What were those words? As she spoke them, they felt so familiar somehow, like a phrase repeated a hundred times over. And yet to her ears they were new and strange, unlike anything she had heard before.
A cloud of white feathers drifted down to the ground and disappeared, and she looked down to see she wore a strange outfit--similar to a stage costume, but not quite right. The tutu and shoes were certainly the type she had worn before (the shoes fit better than her current classroom pair...), but the neckline reminded of her school uniform and there were gloves on her arms.
And beyond it all, that strange black cat was speaking Japanese at her
. She stared down at it, noting the ominous crescent moon mark on its forehead, stunned at the odd turn of events.
Right, the monster. The monster was still here, still terrorizing the street. The cat was trying to tell her that. She whipped around, noting that the ground beneath her feet didn't feel like cement and asphalt but instead like studio flooring, and watched it lumber towards a fearful woman. Murderous intent gleamed in those inhuman eyes.
Sailor Lir leaped forward, arms outstretched, blocking the thing from its prey.
The teardrop-shaped pearl on her forehead blinked, and the knowledge filled her mind.
" she cried, unleashing a torrent of feathers with a well-placed arabesque.Ugh, why can't I get my leg this high in class,
she grumbled to herself, but then her focus was back on the creature and what else it might be endangering. She had to defeat it! These people couldn't protect themselves!