Am I the only one?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Am I the only one?   12th January 2012, 2:22 pm

There are certain animes out there that I can't switch to the sub. Mostly these are the animes I grew up as a child. There a few that I can like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura, but there's a lot of them where I can't. For example pokemon. I can not watch the Japanese version of any of the seasons of pokemon. It's just to me Ash will always Ash not Satoshi (his Japanese name). Does that make sense? Am I the only one that feels this way?

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Roro
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Michiru Kaioh

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 1:35 pm

I think I can agree with you. At the top of my head there's only one series that I think would only watch in English and that's Digimon. Although, I'm sure I could watch it in Japanese it wouldn't bother me THAT much. But then again I could be wrong. LOL Watching Pokemon would be odd as well LOL but I think I could manage watching it in Japanese if I had to.

Back to top Go down
Sailor Leg Lamp
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Support Director

Inner Senshi Admin Member Support Director

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 1:39 pm

Most of the shows, I don't particularly care. However, it feels so weird to watch the subbed version of shows I grew up watching as a child, such as: Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing, and Digimon. Sailor Moon is on that list, too, but watching the subbed version of Sailor Moon doesn't bother me nearly as much.

Graphics by Athena, Neo Queen Serenity, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Mercury, Gemma, and Lust
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Illustrator of Chibiness

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 2:26 pm

With me, it's not the matter of fact that I can't switch from dub to sub but where I can watch both because I grew up with tit. For me, here's a few on my list:

Ranma 1/2
Fushigi Yuugi
Sailor Moon (minus S and SuperS)
Utena
Ronin Warriors
Princess Monoke
Spirited Away

Deviantart * Facebook* Siggy made by Neo Queen Serenity
Back to top Go down
http://paprika-studios.deviantart.com
Sailor Leg Lamp
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Support Director

Inner Senshi Admin Member Support Director

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 2:29 pm

When I first watched the dubbed version of Inu-Yasha, I freaked out and couldn't watch it. All I could hear was Ranma's voice, but all I could see was Inu-Yasha. Eventually, I'll get over it.

Graphics by Athena, Neo Queen Serenity, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Mercury, Gemma, and Lust
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 2:31 pm

LOL glad I'm not the only one. There's also a few other animes like that, but Pokemon is the main one. To be honest I didn't care that 4kids edited a lot of the series. I will always enjoy their dub of pokemon. As for the new group meh, but I still can't watch Black and White and Diamond and Pearl in Japanese.

@Venus: I can't watch the fourth season of Ranma 1/2 in English because that's when the voice actor of InuYasha took over to the role of Ranma.

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
Roro
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 2:33 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
To be honest I didn't care that 4kids edited a lot of the series..

See the only reason I would watch Digimon or any other series that I prefer dubbed is because I would be curious to see what the English dub did cut out. LOL

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 2:46 pm

Yeah I am curious as well. I have done that before and it has made me mad. For example when I found about the edits in Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon. Pokemon not so much. The same goes for Yugioh as well.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Roro
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 2:52 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
Yeah I am curious as well. I have done that before and it has made me mad. For example when I found about the edits in Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon. Pokemon not so much. The same goes for Yugioh as well.

I thankfully never saw Cardcaptor Sakura dubbed. I tried to see an episode of the series dubbed and my ears started to bleed. Sakura's English voice actress sounded like a man! You can imagine how surprised I was when I first heard Sakura in English since her Japanese voice is so high pitched and girly. I think I only let her say one line before I had to close the window. The opening sequence of the series was a bit cheesy as well. LOL In cases like Cardcaptor Sakura, the subbed version is a must. LOL

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 3:03 pm

The sad thing is my friend and I thought that Cardcaptors was the coolest thing ever. Then when my friend bought the first two DVDs of the uncut version we were both in shock when we watch it.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Roro
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 3:05 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
The sad thing is my friend and I thought that Cardcaptors was the coolest thing ever. Then when my friend bought the first two DVDs of the uncut version we were both in shock when we watch it.

LOL You must have been as surprised as when I heard Sakura first speak English LOL

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   15th January 2012, 3:16 pm

XD and I can never watch it in English again.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
SailorStarWind
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : DEAD ACCOUNT left anime fandom to study

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   17th January 2012, 12:35 pm

Same here! (I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one, too! ;A;)

Sailor Moon and Pokemon are the worst ones- I *CAN NOT* enjoy the Japanese versions beyond as a study into what was cut out- but Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin are also in the ONLY-ENJOY-AS-DUBS category. (In the case of Yuu Yuu Hakusho, it's the only anime I can think of where the dub voice acting and lines are actually BETTER than in the original, so it's no big loss there. Some of the English voices fit the characters better than the Japanese ones, and there were a lot of witty-humor lines added to improve the flow of dialogue...)

It's a bit like that for Magic Knight Rayearth, but I got into it late enough that I'm also familiar with the subbed version.

Honestly, I don't really get the dub hate- if it's what someone grew up with, they'll typically prefer it. I hate that political correctness has kind of ruined the fandom- alternate opinions of the dubs should be okay, but saying "the dub was better" sometimes invokes flocks of screeching harpies.

DEAD ACCOUNT. Left anime fandom to study. It was fun, guys. Smile Hope things go well for you.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   17th January 2012, 1:06 pm

Quote :
but Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin are also in the
ONLY-ENJOY-AS-DUBS category. (In the case of Yuu Yuu Hakusho, it's the
only anime I can think of where the dub voice acting and lines are
actually BETTER than in the original, so it's no big loss there. Some
of the English voices fit the characters better than the Japanese ones,
and there were a lot of witty-humor lines added to improve the flow of
dialogue...)
OMG I love the Yuu Yuu Haskusho dub! It's so well done I don't even bother to watch it in Japanese. However there is one bad thing from the dub and it was a movie. I forget the movie's name, but it was dub by another company. The voices were awful compare to Funi's cast. Yuu Yuu Haskusho isn't the only anime where enjoy English voices over the Japanese. DBZ is one. I can't think of any more right now.

Quote :
Honestly, I don't really get the dub hate- if it's what someone grew up
with, they'll typically prefer it. I hate that political correctness
has kind of ruined the fandom- alternate opinions of the dubs should be
okay, but saying "the dub was better" sometimes invokes flocks of
screeching harpies.
I don't get the dub hate either. I enjoy both sub and dub. Sometimes I prefer the dub over the sub vice versa. I hate when people say they sound better in Japanese. Seriously how do you know that? Maybe that certain character is being voiced by an awful Japanese voice actor. All countries have bad voice actors.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Juu~
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : ~hachi

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   7th February 2012, 6:52 am

I cannot watch InuYasha in english or DBZ in japanese.

by Lust, Shimmer effect by NQS
Back to top Go down
http://juuhachi18.tumblr.com/ http://juuhachi18.deviantart.com/
DizzyLizzy24
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Moon Prism Power!

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   7th February 2012, 9:51 am

Card Captor Sakura dubbed....kill me now . This show effects me so much rofl. I hate the dubbed.

Back to top Go down
http://moonfrisbee.tumblr.com/
innocentvenus
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Resident Time Lady

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   7th February 2012, 10:30 am

@SailorStarWind wrote:
Honestly, I don't really get the dub hate- if it's what someone grew up with, they'll typically prefer it. I hate that political correctness has kind of ruined the fandom- alternate opinions of the dubs should be okay, but saying "the dub was better" sometimes invokes flocks of screeching harpies.

You really want to know why? To justify downloading fansubs of shows and so people could feel pretty damn Japanese. Both reasons are sad and pathetic really. The latter is why simulcast broadcast of new anime in both Japan and the U.S. is so wanted. These people want to be Japanese and this is the way they choose to fulfill that desire. The same comes down to the way people emulate everything they see the Japanese do. Not everyone does it and it's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone who simply enjoys it to someone emulating it.

What's even worse is when people decide that professional subbing is terribly worse to fansubs. They feel that the fansubbers "get it" by translating everything literally, not translating very commonly known words, etc, so that everything reads awkward. But hey, it's literal! Who cares if it makes no sense to native English speakers?! Direct Japanese translation (which is nearly impossible btw)! They now can know their five phrases to shout at cons and act like they know the language! These people don't seem to realize that is NOT the point to translation. We're not going to get everything in a joke, especially when that joke involves word play, so we need to localize it so we get it. I'm not saying all professional translation jobs are great (I'm looking at you new SM manga and some of FUNi's stuff), but it's not all that bad either. This is another way some people get closer to that feeling of being someone their not when they should be happy to be who they are.

*cough* Shocked *cough*

Anyway...I can't watch Ghost in the Shell SAC subbed. The dub is just superb! Gundam Wing could be considered another for me, but it depends on my mood. Some days I just love the dub and hate the sub, and vice versa. No idea why, but I do.

Keep Calm ♔ And Save the Universe
Back to top Go down
http://flash-and-fade.tumblr.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/midnightshinigami
Lolfang
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : Translator

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   7th February 2012, 12:19 pm

@innocentvenus wrote:
Gundam Wing could be considered another for me, but it depends on my mood.

"How many times must I kill that girl and her dog!" haha, Wing was fun. I'm in agreement with you on literal translation by the way. My policy is always to write a translation that takes the script and make it sound like it was written in the target language to begin with.

Shows I can't watch in Japanese have to be DBZ (Goku's girl voice jarrs me to no end), Outlaw Star, and Cowbot Bebop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.missdream.org
Lust
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : ❤ Dead Moon Queen ❤

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one?   6th March 2012, 12:33 am

I can't watch InuYasha or Dragonball Z subbed, something just won't let me. I know I dislike InuYasha's Japanese voice and Android 18's Japanese voice. It takes the spark away from me having a desire to try the subbed version.

Avatar by Lust / Sigs by Lust, Mercury, Uranus, Neptune, Averi, NQS, Brit, Aztnara / Nehelenia Bumper by Mercury
Back to top Go down

Am I the only one?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Other Anime and Manga-