HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Neo King Helios
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : ~GC's Official Helios!~
Posts : 236
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 18
Location : Down Under


PostSubject: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   12th June 2016, 5:35 am

So when we first saw the redrawn flashbacks of Neo-Queen Serenity for the first episode, she had silver hair. Then the Super Sailor Moon episode graced us with another Neo-Queen Serenity appearance, except this time she's blonde. At first majority claimed this to be an animation error because they've already established they were going with the silver hair due to episode 1. However, we're at Chibiusa thinking that her Mum was Hotaru in the latest episode, and Neo-Queen Serenity is STILL blonde. 

So, my question is, another animation error? Or do you think the writers are just trying to make a 'homage' to the Classic's Neo Queen Serenity? And if so, do you think it was a right move? Or do you think her hair was changed so that Toei and Bandai can just sell the old Neo-Queen Serenity merchandise?

Personally, I don't mind it because I can still see a difference between Neo-Queen Serenity and Princess Serenity (unlike the 90s where they looked too much alike), but I think the inconsistency is beginning to bother me because the whole of Season 2 portrayed her to have silver hair. I know they're trying to make Season 3 a stand alone, granted that the whole animation was completely changed- but it doesn't change the fact that it's still Crystal. What's bothering me is the inconsistency. Does it bother anyone else, or is it just me?


___________________________

 
      
  GC's Official Priest Helios  
Back to top Go down
http://johnnyquartzuniverse.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/c/johnsacapano
Sailor Crystal Winter
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin


Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™
Posts : 8557
Join date : 2013-07-25
Age : 29
Location : Indonesia


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   12th June 2016, 5:42 am

It bothers me because I never know who she's supposed to be at any given time since now there seems to be no distinction between NQS and Princess Serenity. In the latest ending, she appears with PRINCE Endymion, not King, which begs the question, is she even NQS there or Princess Serenity? Same with when Uranus Neptune and Pluto knelt in front of her formally acknowledging her as Princess, she has NQS' design again despite the manga having it as Princess Serenity.

Neo-King Kronos wrote:
Personally, I don't mind it because I can still see a difference between Neo-Queen Serenity and Princess Serenity (unlike the 90s where they looked too much alike)

I disagree - there's a much clearer distinction in the 90s anime because their dresses are clearly different. In Crystal they've virtually made Princess and Queen into one person now, in this season at least. In the manga their design is very similar as well, and their hair colors are also both silver.

I think this is a very confusing decision tbh. I hope it's just a mistake they would fix really late (like the blonde-haired Queen Serenity in the opening of Crystal's first season).

___________________________

  
       
 ♥
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/whitemoonlady http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com http://aftersix.livejournal.com
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity
Posts : 1705
Join date : 2015-07-09
Age : 14
Location : Land of 1,000 Dances


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   12th June 2016, 5:55 am

Well, I probably shouldn't say much, considering I'm not up to date on Crystal at all, but I'm just chalking it up to them changing the animation and the silver hair is just early installment weirdness. I actually favor blonde haired NQS and sliver haired Princess Serenity because it feels like Usagi is keeping a part of herself I guess? I mean, the hair color difference also makes it easier to tell them apart, other than NQS looking a bit older and having a different dress style.

___________________________

Sig is MIA until I get the time to sit down and mess around with stuff.
Back to top Go down
Neo King Helios
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : ~GC's Official Helios!~
Posts : 236
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 18
Location : Down Under


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   12th June 2016, 6:34 am

Sailor Mercury wrote:
It bothers me because I never know who she's supposed to be at any given time since now there seems to be no distinction between NQS and Princess Serenity. In the latest ending, she appears with PRINCE Endymion, not King, which begs the question, is she even NQS there or Princess Serenity? Same with when Uranus Neptune and Pluto knelt in front of her formally acknowledging her as Princess, she has NQS' design again despite the manga having it as Princess Serenity.

Neo-King Kronos wrote:
Personally, I don't mind it because I can still see a difference between Neo-Queen Serenity and Princess Serenity (unlike the 90s where they looked too much alike)

I disagree - there's a much clearer distinction in the 90s anime because their dresses are clearly different. In Crystal they've virtually made Princess and Queen into one person now, in this season at least. In the manga their design is very similar as well, and their hair colors are also both silver.

I think this is a very confusing decision tbh. I hope it's just a mistake they would fix really late (like the blonde-haired Queen Serenity in the opening of Crystal's first season).

I guess the 90s did have some distinction, but you gotta admit that Season 2 Neo-Queen Serenity and Princess Serenity are very different. They made her look very mature- almost similar to her mother. I think this Season made it more confusing... I mean the 90s anime did kinda struck me as not being able to tell who is who, especially in the end of Sailor Moon R when Usagi supposedly turned into Neo-Queen Serenity but she's still the same...but I understand you see it differently ^^ And yeah, I do hope they fix this because the inconsistency is bothering me.

@Sailor Zelda wrote:
Well, I probably shouldn't say much, considering I'm not up to date on Crystal at all, but I'm just chalking it up to them changing the animation and the silver hair is just early installment weirdness. I actually favor blonde haired NQS and sliver haired Princess Serenity because it feels like Usagi is keeping a part of herself I guess? I mean, the hair color difference also makes it easier to tell them apart, other than NQS looking a bit older and having a different dress style.

That's the issue though, both NQS and PS are now blonde so there's no distinction between them. And in Season 3 NQS looks really young in comparison to Season 2 so it just kinda makes it more difficult to tell between the two. The only saving grace is the different in the back ribbon, other than that they're exactly alike.

___________________________

 
      
  GC's Official Priest Helios  
Back to top Go down
http://johnnyquartzuniverse.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/c/johnsacapano
Sailor Crystal Winter
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin


Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™
Posts : 8557
Join date : 2013-07-25
Age : 29
Location : Indonesia


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   12th June 2016, 7:08 pm

In season 2 yeah, definitely, especially with NQS having silver hair while Princess Serenity is blonde. I just meant as compared to Season 3 ^^

___________________________

  
       
 ♥
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/whitemoonlady http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com http://aftersix.livejournal.com
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.
Posts : 8593
Join date : 2013-05-26
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   12th June 2016, 7:50 pm

I have heard the reason why her hair is yellow was for budget reasons, which honestly makes no sense to me. I have to agree with bubbles, it can be very hard to distinguish if she is NQS or PS. If they are going to keep her hair yellow, then change her dress or Queen Selene's, but stop confusing us. 

I also feel like in this arc, it would be more of NQS and not princess serenity.

Idk if I am even making sense anymroe, so I am goign to stop.

___________________________

  Sigs by Mercury, NQS, Venus, mystery, and green pea. Avie by Gemma
   Yumi's forum wife   Batgirl's soul sis
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ https://twitter.com/ericalynn1990 http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
PrincesseNee
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Spread the love, people! ~Lover of Inner Senshi~
Posts : 727
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 16
Location : Where Peace, Love, and Gumdrops are! AKA My Imagination. :3


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   12th June 2016, 8:29 pm

At first I thought they were redesigning Princess Serenity and would show a newer NQS later on. Looking back, this probably didnt make sense but I didnt want to assume the worst. But I guess I shouldve seen this coming considering (what I assume to be Princess Serenity cos idk) Princess Serenity looks like NQS in the OP. Then they show Princess Serenity (as shes supposed to) in a flashback with Queen Serenity?

Im confused....

___________________________

   
~Siggies by Mercury, Mars, Neo-King Helios, and Pluto. Avi by Zoey900~

#TEAMPINKDONKEY
Back to top Go down
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 333
Join date : 2015-03-14
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   13th June 2016, 8:29 am

I also want to say that they want to do a tie in between the 20th anniversary merchandise of NQS of the 90's anime. but we still have the problem of the stark difference in dress design, and the complete redraw of the encounter between Usagi and NQS in episode 27 of Crystal.

Now, they could theoretically fix the flashback scene when Usagi first henshins into Super Sailor Moon, by removing ChibiUsa's compact. After all, ChibiUsa is 902 years old, who is to say that her mother never told her about Super Sailor Moon when she was still blonde? I don't recall it ever being made canon that NQS receives pearlescent white hair upon becoming crowned NQS. However, if it is the case, we haven't been informed of that in Crystal, so it is theoretically possible for that flashback to be corrected by means of ChibiUsa's brooch being removed and the memory being some vague moment from the future-past. ChibiUsa only received a brooch before she returned to the past to begin her training as a senshi.

On the other hand, ChibiUsa could have altered the timeline. ;-)

Princess Nee:

I couldn't help but notice the blonde NQS in the title card of your signature. 

Perhaps the White Haired NQS was the error?
Back to top Go down
GrayeDiana
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 5
Join date : 2015-09-30
Location : Nagoya, Japan


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   14th June 2016, 2:11 am

Just sayin', the scene with NQS telling Chibi about Super Sailor Moon is definitely not before the events of Black Moon, brooch or not. The whole reason NQS is telling Chibiusa about SSM is because Chibi is saying "You guys are right! SM is strong! She saved Mama and Papa!" (Referring to what happened with Black Moon). 
Then NQS says "One day you'll meet an even stronger SM, Super Sailor Moon".
So either the yellow hair is a mistake, or they've officially changed it for season III. Which would be pretty dumb, as it would cause a continuity issue for people who collect all the blurays and watch the seasons all together.
Back to top Go down
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 333
Join date : 2015-03-14
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   14th June 2016, 6:40 am

That's so strange.

Why would ChibiUsa refer to her mother as someone distinct from NQS?

I mean sure there's the time issue, but I assume that ChibiUsa knows that her mother used to be Sailor Moon in the past... o.O

It's also quite strange that NQS would tell her daughter that one day she would encounter a stronger Sailor Moon than the one she met when she first ventured into the past. Why would her mom inform her that she'd be going into the past again and who she would encounter? 

So very strange.


Last edited by Addelyn on 14th June 2016, 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removing weird coding that stretches board - Addy)
Back to top Go down
starshine
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 38
Join date : 2015-05-19
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   27th June 2016, 6:23 pm

It's probably something they calculated to use as a selling point for the DVDs.
Back to top Go down
TS Sailor Poseidon
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 14
Join date : 2016-06-26
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   29th June 2016, 11:48 am

I do admit it is a bit odd that they show her with blonde hair and the flipping back and forth between Princess Serenity and NQS. It's not like that in the manga were they just show her as Princess Serenity nor the 90's anime where there is a distinction between them seeing as NQS's gown is different than her princess one. Only thing I can think of is either product selling or animation error. It is easy to fix in the DVD release hopefully thought. As for product selling, it's a bit odd since if they are doing a 90's throw back, how are they trying to sell newer products then?
Back to top Go down
http://ptduckie.deviantart.com/
Neo King Helios
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : ~GC's Official Helios!~
Posts : 236
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 18
Location : Down Under


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   29th June 2016, 12:40 pm

@TS Sailor Poseidon wrote:
I do admit it is a bit odd that they show her with blonde hair and the flipping back and forth between Princess Serenity and NQS. It's not like that in the manga were they just show her as Princess Serenity nor the 90's anime where there is a distinction between them seeing as NQS's gown is different than her princess one. Only thing I can think of is either product selling or animation error. It is easy to fix in the DVD release hopefully thought. As for product selling, it's a bit odd since if they are doing a 90's throw back, how are they trying to sell newer products then?

I think majority of the chosen design variations for the manga are for the sake of selling older products. I mean they basically used the 90s Super Sailor Moon, because Manga's SSM had rainbow collar and skirt. But I think NQS being blonde is also for the sake of selling old NQS items...which I think is pretty stupid but I guess selling old products is better than making new ones.

___________________________

 
      
  GC's Official Priest Helios  
Back to top Go down
http://johnnyquartzuniverse.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/c/johnsacapano
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 333
Join date : 2015-03-14
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   29th June 2016, 4:48 pm

RE: Super Sailor Moon's collar

I think that depends what artwork they were sourcing from the manga:



As to NQS being blonde in Season 3, I agree, it's a marketing ploy for both Princess Serenity and 90s NQS merchandise. The problem with the latter is the difference in gown and the colour scheme of the tiara. However, I suspect that Crystal is basically 20th anniversary SM advertising, and not quite a serious series which is why they didn't invest in it as much as they could, or deviate from the manga.
Back to top Go down
Neo King Helios
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : ~GC's Official Helios!~
Posts : 236
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 18
Location : Down Under


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   29th June 2016, 10:29 pm

Agreed. Plotwise, I think they are sticking to the manga, but in terms of designs, they're trying to stick close to the 90s versions to advertise more. As for the art, I can see what you mean, though I've always thought Super Sailor Moon's outfit was like this:

Dream Arc:
 

but maybe this was the colour scheme for the Dream Arc...

As for NQS, I feel like if its not for product placement, they've gotten the mythos wrong because her hair only does ever turn silver after Chibiusa, before that she was clearly blonde... But I was also thinking, they might have had a difficult time deviating the colours from the flashback because majority of it was really white, so it would partially make sense to make her blonde to stand out more...but still...very inconsistent.

___________________________

 
      
  GC's Official Priest Helios  
Back to top Go down
http://johnnyquartzuniverse.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/c/johnsacapano
Lavender
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Heartbreak Hotel


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   30th June 2016, 10:31 am

I would answer that it's just you and you alone who thinks like this, Neo-King Kronos, cause you asked that in the first post but since many others apparently share this viewpoint, it would be more favourable with you all in the future if I change my mind and agree with everybody, don't you think? ^_^ I'm just joking, but anyways, whilst the inconsistency makes it difficult to tell Princess Serenity and Neo Queen Serenity apart (for example in the Tuxedo Mask ending song among a few others, like one of you said), it doesn't bother me much. It's more likely that it's a homage to the 90's anime and it particularly is an art style-related jomage since the previous animation and the art style who some disliked, was one of the most widely criticized aspects of it. It's a mistake though, cause not only it creates this beloved incosistency but it also is just slightly unfaithful to the manga. I won't think this rudely about the creators though, and hope it's a mere error and this problem is resolved and that NQS will look much more ravishing with her silver hair, of course.

___________________________

Avatar by Neptune, signature by Gemma.
Back to top Go down
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 333
Join date : 2015-03-14
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   30th June 2016, 12:49 pm

Well, some part of me thinks that season 3 is something of a reboot of Crystal. Namely that it's supposed to stand on its own,but that's just me. The art style itself stands on its own compared to season 1 and 2.
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 864
Join date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   5th July 2016, 12:54 am

The real world reason I think is they're trying to make season three more of a homage to the 90s anime, hence you see the return of stock footage and the goofy facial expressions.  To play devil's advocate, maybe NQS has blonde hair later in the arc because Usagi hasn't completely become NQS yet.  Like maybe she's in some weird transition phase and she'll get her silver hair when she officially becomes NQS?
Back to top Go down
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 333
Join date : 2015-03-14
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   5th July 2016, 8:27 am

I'll grant that to be the case for Usagi of the present transforming into NQS, though there is the problem that she becomes significantly mature in the process (note the lips and eyes), which hints at it being more of an animation and continuity era. The same would apply to ChibiUsa's pre-return to the past flashbacks where NQS is depicted with blonde hair.
Back to top Go down
TS Sailor Poseidon
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 14
Join date : 2016-06-26
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   9th July 2016, 5:19 pm

Neo-King Kronos wrote:
@TS Sailor Poseidon wrote:
I do admit it is a bit odd that they show her with blonde hair and the flipping back and forth between Princess Serenity and NQS. It's not like that in the manga were they just show her as Princess Serenity nor the 90's anime where there is a distinction between them seeing as NQS's gown is different than her princess one. Only thing I can think of is either product selling or animation error. It is easy to fix in the DVD release hopefully thought. As for product selling, it's a bit odd since if they are doing a 90's throw back, how are they trying to sell newer products then?

I think majority of the chosen design variations for the manga are for the sake of selling older products. I mean they basically used the 90s Super Sailor Moon, because Manga's SSM had rainbow collar and skirt. But I think NQS being blonde is also for the sake of selling old NQS items...which I think is pretty stupid but I guess selling old products is better than making new ones.
I can understand the 90's Super Sailor Moon. The series has been doing a few good throw backs to older fans. But for product selling, if they are trying to get people of new generations into Sailor Moon Crystal, then it's just silly advertising the older series merchandise. As someone who does like both, I wouldn't mind having a figurine of the newer NQS with the more manga styled gown and I believe others wouldn't either. As for making the figurines or other merchandise I don't think it would be too hard to make but that might be another story.
Back to top Go down
http://ptduckie.deviantart.com/
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 333
Join date : 2015-03-14
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   9th July 2016, 7:22 pm

The issue becomes one of whether they want to invest in the Crystal franchise long term, or if it's just a marketing ploy.

It took quite a long time for them to issue Jupiter and Venus in the Figuarts Zero line inspired by the designs of Crystal. I was convinced at one point that they had just stopped with season 1 and 2 design inspired merchandise when season 3 was released as season 3 allowed them to be able to market the older merchandise without going so far as creating new merchandise, because the designs were remarkably closer to Classic, even if done in pastels.
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 864
Join date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   10th July 2016, 12:19 am

They interestingly did sell that limited edition Petit Chara figure of Princess Serenity with silver hair at that Sailor Moon muesuem event so hopefully we'll get a NQS one too.  But it doesn't seem like we get much NQS merch in general other than the random plushie.
Back to top Go down
TS Sailor Poseidon
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 14
Join date : 2016-06-26
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   10th July 2016, 10:49 am

@east02west wrote:
The issue becomes one of whether they want to invest in the Crystal franchise long term, or if it's just a marketing ploy.

It took quite a long time for them to issue Jupiter and Venus in the Figuarts Zero line inspired by the designs of Crystal. I was convinced at one point that they had just stopped with season 1 and 2 design inspired merchandise when season 3 was released as season 3 allowed them to be able to market the older merchandise without going so far as creating new merchandise, because the designs were remarkably closer to Classic, even if done in pastels.
Ah, that's a good point. Investment is important because you don't want to loose more than what you put in.  I do remember they did take longer for Jupiter and Venus and I can understand that investment wise, it would be easier selling something everybody recognizes than something new.
Back to top Go down
http://ptduckie.deviantart.com/
Sailor Jinglebell
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Relations Director


Inner Senshi Admin  Member Relations Director

Title : *~Jupes | Jupi~*
Posts : 3030
Join date : 2014-01-14
Age : 24
Location : USA


PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   10th July 2016, 9:30 pm

Just a reminder to please stay on topic in this thread.
Merchandise discussions should be moved to General SM Discussion in a new thread
Sailor Jupiter 

___________________________

 
 

Back to top Go down
LaMoonstar
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Posts : 103
Join date : 2016-04-10

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   10th July 2016, 11:06 pm

Honestly? I'm going to be annoyed if they made Neo Queen Serenity's hair blond just to please the nonstalgia watchers. It's an inconsistancy since we've seen her with white hair. And yes I know that NQS had blond hair before she gave birth to Chibiusa, so hopefully they'll fix the frame when she's talking to her daughter in the future.

___________________________



Back to top Go down
http://kindnessiseternal.tumblr.com/ http://lamoonstar.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC37YaBDyUey7tN9vhPHaU1w?
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 333
Join date : 2015-03-14
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity   11th July 2016, 6:33 pm

Anyone want to hit them up on Twitter and inform them? Razz
Back to top Go down
 

The Inconsistency that is Neo-Queen Serenity

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Sailor Moon Crystal (2014)-