HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Illustrator of Chibiness

PostSubject: Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)   3rd July 2012, 8:45 pm

Ghost in the Shell
(Also known as GITS)

Ghost in the Shell was written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow, who is also known for works such as Appleseed. The manga first debuted in 1990 and had a sequeue called to as "Man-Machine Interferace" (originally being serailized by Young Magazine and then by, ironically, Kondansha). The story(ies) takes placed in a futuristic Japan and centers around a counter-terriosit organization known as Public Secruity Section 9 (often referred to as Section 9), led by Major Motoko Kusanagi.

For those who are unfamiliar with the manga and Shirow's style, the manga, while has a great story, the artwork, situations, and comedy are completely adult oriented. If you are not 18 years old, legally, you shouldn't be reading this manga. Since this manga is adult oriented, I will not go into further details.

The anime adaption of Ghost in the Shell, began in 1995 with the release of the very first film titled "Ghost in the Shell" which was produced by Production I.G, LONG before the Laughing Man era. While the movie was very intriguing and got to see a deeper side to Motoko Kusanagi, this movie left fans and new people to this series at a half mark due to the very very very confusing ending. Most people waited in anticipation for a sequel but would have to wait until 2004 when Innocence was released. Innocence really follows the years of Batou, who is known as Kusanagi's closest and most trusted friend. What was really iconic about the sequel though, not only was Ghost in the Shell appeared to be having a revival, the sequel had a budget of $2 Billion Yen ($20 Million USD), and while still produced by Production I.G., Toshio Suzuki, the CEO of Studio Ghibli, co-produced Ghost in the Shell: Innocence.

This gave life to the Ghost in the Shell franchise as Production I.G. released the animated television series, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The animated series revolves around the members of Public Security Section 9, investigating a case on the corporate terrorist and elite hacker known as "The Laughing Man".

After Stand Alone Complex, fans were given a second season to GITS known as Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG and the Tachikomatic Days, a series of comedic shorts. To follow in or around the same timeline was an OVA simply titled after the first season which is basically a retelling of first season, and a film sequel to the second season known as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society.This franchise also spawned two games - one for the Playstation, and one for Playstation 2.

---End of Information---

Before I was introduced to Sailor Moon, I was introduced into a world that I am still very loyal to today to - Ghost in the Shell! As this was my first anime, I originally came across the movie one time when I stayed with my sister and thought it was a Disney movie. Boy, was I ever so wrong?! But honestly, that started my love for the Japanese animation style and how unique it was towards American cartoons. I will probably always love this series for being the fact that it was my first anime. I remembered I bugged my sister so much about watching GITS constantly, that she pretty much gave me the VHS (which I had to hide from my mother XD)

Ghost in the Shell to me, is one of those techy/crime stories that deals a lot more with problem solving, morals, and psychology in some strange sorts. It also gave my a sense of mystery in the story that always led up to something bigger in sense of thinking. In a way, Ghost in the Shell, is the "technology" CSI before CSI was around. The manga, the movies, the series, they all really run on their own storyline as they really don't relate to each other with the exception that they stay timeline era...futuristic Japan.

I will instantly say that I fell inlove the character, Major Motoko Kusanagi and in fact has influenced one of the Otaku senshi when I first reworked her ^o^. And then there were the Puchikomas and Tachikomas which are just AWESOME!! If you have not watch any of the Tachikomatic Days, I invite you to watch that and just enjoy a laugh as the characters are in a way children with enlighten logic.

I have had people ask me in the past, what they should watch first since I have been watching GITS for such a long time. Oddly enough, I highly recommend people to watch GITS: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG. Why? Because the movies will confuse you. While the movies are really awesome and completely amazing for that time period with the graphics, if you do not have any idea about Ghost in the Shell or a slight understanding to it, the movies may turn you off from a really great series. Also, the manga is not for everyone - people are amaze that I own and like it because of my taste when it comes to manga. As I often tell people though, I enjoy the stories but the artwork and adult tone is definitely not for everyone. So unless I really really know your tastes, 9 times out of 10 I will recommend the anime series before the movies and definitely before the manga.

So how about it? Any GITS fans here?

Deviantart * Facebook* Siggy made by Neo Queen Serenity

Last edited by Paprika on 3rd July 2012, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://paprika-studios.deviantart.com
Cerechan
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official Sailor Ceres/Cere Cere: Formerly Anjyu

PostSubject: Re: Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)   3rd July 2012, 8:55 pm

Oh I remember this series! I think I may have read the first volume of this back in 7th grade when I was really into Ah My Goddess. The series never really stuck with me though. I'd like to watch the anime since I never have before. I really do prefer old school anime over all this new stuff today. I may search it on YouTube later and watch it. Thanks for sharing this! It's nice to see fans of older animes that aren't that popular anymore.

Sig made by Batgirl 
Back to top Go down
Http://www.ponilicious.forumotion.com http://sera-jupiter.tumblr.com/
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)   3rd July 2012, 9:06 pm

Anjyu wrote:
Oh I remember this series! I think I may have read the first volume of this back in 7th grade when I was really into Ah My Goddess. The series never really stuck with me though. I'd like to watch the anime since I never have before. I really do prefer old school anime over all this new stuff today. I may search it on YouTube later and watch it. Thanks for sharing this! It's nice to see fans of older animes that aren't that popular anymore.

Welcomes ^^ Definitely give the Stand Alone Complex a shot. Production I.G. did a really good job with the series, which is another reason why I highly recommend it ^^

Hehe, I have my love for older anime series/movies as well so you're definitely not alone ^^

Back to top Go down
JoJiaMystie
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Galaxia Sama

PostSubject: Re: Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)   3rd July 2012, 9:13 pm

OMG Ghost in the Shell! I remember that. It's been so long since the last time I even thought of it but I loved it so much! I was also crazy about Akira and every once in a while I still watch Ninja Scroll which remains my ultimate favorite!

Between Paprika, I totally love your new siggy!

Enigma's Twin  
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/Sun_Baby17/sailorsolarion http://jojiamystie.deviantart.com
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)   17th July 2012, 9:15 pm

@JoJiaMystie wrote:
OMG Ghost in the Shell! I remember that. It's been so long since the last time I even thought of it but I loved it so much! I was also crazy about Akira and every once in a while I still watch Ninja Scroll which remains my ultimate favorite!

Between Paprika, I totally love your new siggy!

Hehe, thanks hun and SOOOOO sorry for the late reply! Yeah, Ghost in the Shell will always have a special place in my heart since it was truly my first anime. ^^ I'm actually going to end up watching SAC because I really loved what they did with the series.

Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)   19th July 2012, 8:49 pm

I love GITS! I think it's tied with Eva as my favorite sci-fi anime. I agree with you that the TV series is definitely a better introduction to the GITS universe than the movies. The movies are good but they feel more like extended filler ins with higher production values than stand alone movies. I love the deep philosophical and moral issues that the series deals with. I also love how the TV series explores more of the GITS universe and is a bit more light hearted than the movies while still having plenty of drama. My favorite character is Batou. I love how he's always getting his butt kicked by Motoko for putting his foot into his mouth and his friendship with Togusa and his arrogant but playful personality is cute. Plus, I think he's hot in the TV series and second movie. I don't care much for his military buzz in the first movie though. ^^;; The Tachikomas are so cute and funny. GITS is also one of those anime series where I actually like the dub more than the sub. I have both movies and all the TV shows in DVD boxsets but I still haven't gotten the Solid State Society movie and I don't have much interest in the clips specials.
Back to top Go down
Solipsi Rai
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : (GC's Official) Makoto/Jupiter - primadonna's husband

PostSubject: Re: Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)   23rd March 2015, 7:34 pm

I was wondering if the GC had a "Ghost in the Shell" thread...and dived deep enough to uncover it. :pirat:  GITS is one of the best anime ever made...and I can relate to the main character, Motoko Kusanagi, who displays a similar mood to what autism is (I have autism myself). In a future where humans can be part-machines. Kusanagi deals with conflicts of her personality on what it is to be human. I used to watch GITS SAC and 2nd gig on Adult Swim, but I wanna read the manga wherever I can find it.

SAILOR JUPITER is my fave Senshi!     

If there is will, there is a way, there is want to make the world a better place.

The triumph of intelligence over ignorance - The Phil Hendrie radio comedy show
Back to top Go down
Solipsi Rai
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)   17th May 2015, 6:43 am

GITS' intros are performed by Origa, the Russian-born vocalist lived in Japan where she died recently of lung cancer. 

Inner Universe -

Rise -

If there is will, there is a way, there is want to make the world a better place.

Last edited by Solipsi Rai on 21st April 2016, 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Solipsi Rai
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)   21st April 2016, 8:42 am

This just in: Ghost in the Shell movie starring Scarlet Johanson in the role of Motoko Kusanagi.

Back to top Go down

Ghost in the Shell (**Possible Spoliers Alert**)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Other Anime and Manga-