HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Debate: Is Sailor Moon mostly about female empowerment?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sophiesmystery
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon mostly about female empowerment?   12th April 2013, 5:45 pm

This is a really good question.

I think for every person, though, you take from Sailor Moon what speaks to you the most.

For me, the 'powerful/strong female' aspect isn't as hard and rough as many other stories can make it out to be. Usagi and the other scouts love, they are sensitive and feminine, and yet they are strong and believe in themselves and their futures. I found Usagi's faith in her future to be really inspiring, especially during a time in my life when I had so many doubts and questions and I was afraid of the tomorrow because I was unsure of what was going to happen.

Rereading the manga (both the 2003/2013 prints), I found a lot of themes of not just love and friendship, but enduring hardships and facing those terrible moments in life without blaming someone else or getting angry and giving up. I mean, honestly, Usagi has a hard life, much more so in the manga than the anime. It's really difficult to remain positive during tough trials and most people end up being angry and confused than the other way around, and yet Usagi, with every trial, grew even more beautiful, stronger, and faithful in her dreams.

I like to think SM enhances a woman's qualities to their best advantage without being soupy. I love how Usagi turned from an innocent, slightly ditzy, greedy little girl into this angelic queen of the future who was still as silly and fun as she was when we first meet her, and yet she was a woman, through-and-through. It's fun to see the senshi's transformation from young girls to women, and with the appearance of the outer senshi - who were already these confident, elegant women - you really see a lot of maturity and growth. You almost have the sense of 'growing up' with Usagi and the other senshi throughout the whole manga.

I'm on the edge with the anime, though, I have to rewatch it again...
Back to top Go down
http://whiskersnpurrs.tumblr.com
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : The Hybrid Enigma
Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon mostly about female empowerment?   12th April 2013, 5:50 pm

Quote :
I think for every person, though, you take from Sailor Moon what speaks to you the most.

I agree! With everything you said too!
Back to top Go down

Debate: Is Sailor Moon mostly about female empowerment?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Theories, Debates and Headcanons-