HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Neon Genesis
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 864
Join date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 2:59 pm

Small Lady wrote:



Like I wish i could find something else like Avatar. I have yet to really find anything. If someone knows of something, please let me know. xD
Have you seen the new Thundercats cartoon? It's actually been better than the original THundercats so far and the animation is really good. The animation is done by Studio 4C.
Back to top Go down
innocentvenus
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Resident Time Lady
Posts : 463
Join date : 2011-09-27
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 3:44 pm

I've been thinking about this too lately. Most of the anime I have in my collection I've been watching for years, or it was released sometime before 2003-2004. The only exception is Lucky Star, which for some reason I can watch over and over again despite the animation. I don't even really participate in the anime fandom anymore, with the exception of Sailor Moon.

The problem with the anime nowadays is how generic it all is, both in story and in character design. All I can really see is Moe-specific generic body with different hair, etc. This is not to say this wasn't a problem in say the 80's, but the stories made up for it. The 90's saw a bit more variation with character designs, though it was still easy to tell which studio was responsible for what series based on character design. Today it's hard to tell unless you really care and look for it.

Also, the anime that we saw being released here during Anime's heyday (and let's face it; that bubble's been long popped) was a bit more tailored to Western interests. There was a lot of scifi shows and a lot of fighting shows, mostly in the Shonen genre. Many anime companies saw how much we were buying and decided to let us support them as well. Unfortunately there's been a more recent tailoring of shows to just those who buy the shows: the hardcore Otaku group. They are the ones spending $80 for a two episode DVD and absurd amounts on Blurays. We are selling their shows for $40 a whole series and many companies (I'm looking at you Bandai), decided that we weren't worth it because we weren't willing to pay for their outrageous prices. Their belief was that we should pay what the Japanese do simply because they do. Production costs are a lot more for them and they do need the money to survive on TV because they pay to have their shows run, but our model doesn't work that way. So they pulled up shop here. Of course companies are going to choose what makes them the most money and that's the Otaku. Nearly all the shows are the same; Harem Moe, High School dramas, or reboots.

Otaku tastes have changed over the past 20 years, there is no denying that. They were mostly computer/scifi fans who loved huge robots and technology. A lot more people used to partake. Slowly but surely, these fans transitioned to the lolicon moe loving creepers we see today with their huge backpacks and very introverted personalities. 2-D love is what's in to them and they are the ones who are now buying most of the stuff from these companies and to make money, this is what they make so these people buy their stuff. We're no longer in the picture, or the people that the rest of Japan scorn.

Also I think part of the problem is that the American fandom has changed as well. It used to be people meeting and discussing their favorite shows, trying to pick out the little things and maybe use history to explain things or the cultural significance of the shows. Cosplaying was seen as something that crafty people took pride in and were happy to show off. There was this sense of Geek Pride. Today, however, fandom has devolved in a way. It's all about liking the most obscure stuff because it's obscure, making fun "terrible" cosplayers who aren't Asian or their body type isn't right, who has the most DVDs/figures/manga etc. Fandom has become all about outdoing each other, either in the sheer volume of merchandise or because somehow knowing the most makes you the biggest/only fan that ever existed. There is also the problem with all the remaking. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's the best because it's new. Older shows don't suck because there old. The biggest offenders of this are Gundam and FMA. Each time a new Gundam comes out, it's automatically the best and all others suck until the next one comes out, then repeat at ad nauseum. This isn't just isolated to anime either. It's everywhere, and I think it's also because it's cool to be a geek/nerd right now in the mainstream, where it wasn't say ten years ago.

Another problem is how many fans are trying to act Japanese, not at all realizing they are trying to live out a sterotype that doesn't exist. Otaku Cool does not exist and it never did. Japan does not act this way or think it's acceptable. The Otaku that do live there are actually considered creepy nowadays, no longer just nerds. There's a great article on Colony Drop about this.

Conventions used to be a fun thing to attend in order to partake in the fandom, but they've become nothing but chores and internet memes. Having worked security at them for three years, it's become worse and worse. People thing because they paid a price, they're entitled to everything and that is not the case. The other problem is the age group that draws anime fans in now. It's nearly all teenagers who are only looking for a party weekend away from their parents. College aged fans are also to blame for this as well, especially since they cause half the drinking problems.

Wow I wrote a lot, but it explains my problems with anime and the fandom for a while now. There's a lot of contributing factors as to why anime seems to be not so interesting. This is basically why I stopped caring. That and I've got other shows I'm into now (which are unfortunately running into the same problems). I still love older anime, but the new stuff is just eh.

___________________________


Keep Calm ♔ And Save the Universe
Back to top Go down
http://flash-and-fade.tumblr.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/midnightshinigami
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9845
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 26
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 4:29 pm

Wow innocentvenus you hit the nail the big time! Shocked I had no idea about a lot of stuff you said. I thought the decline in anime DVDs here in the US was because of people watching it on the internet.

I completely agree about the anime fandom. Everything in the fandom has change. On one side you have the annoying weebs and on the other side you have the rude, don't you dare have a different opinion than me fans. It's not fun to meet people (besides here on GC) who like anime anymore.

About what you mention about Gundam and FMA thing. I have never really watched Gundam so I can't say anything about the fandom, but I will say something about FMA. I know a lot people think the 2009 series is better than the older one. Now, I like the new series better just because it follows the manga and I wasn't crazy about the old series's villain. However, I still like the old the series. It's a classic and you get to see some filler for character development (Tiny minskirts anyone? Wink ). The 2009 series had only 2 filler episodes, the first one and a recap episode.

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 4:35 pm

You know, I noticed that like I fell out of anime myself as I got older and I don't really know why. I watched anime basically when I was younger and then just...stopped. Nothing really caught my interest. I tried to watch Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle this summer and it didn't do much for me. I mean I enjoy what I read in the manga but I wasn't feeling it in the anime really. Not sure why. I think this really hit me when I wanted to work at a comic book store...but I felt like I didn't know enough of the new anime to work there. Because I was watching people play anime charades and obviously one of the duties of working at the comic book store would probably be interacting with your customers like that and I was like "man, I don't know enough anymore. I only know what I grew up with."; Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Cardcaptors, etc. Manga I'm still open to if I happen to come across something that sounds like a worthwhile read (though admittedly I haven't had this happen too much lately).

I did watch and read Aishiteruze Baby though and loved it because I thought it was adorable... XD but this was at least...3-4 years ago. XD

The only anime that has honestly stuck with me is Sailor Moon because I am just absolutely in love with the series. It's been near and dear to my heart growing up. The only thing that runs parallel with Sailor Moon is Pokemon. But I don't watch the Pokemon anime anymore (except on occasion), I only play the Pokemon versions.

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9845
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 26
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 4:41 pm

Same here Lady Tuxedo. I don't watch the Pokemon anime anymore. I just play the games. However I did tried watching Black and White because it was the "reboot" of the series. They made Ash too stupid. He forgot how to catch a pokemon. O.o I think if they actually did a reboot of the Pokemon TV series with characters like I don't know from the actual games it would be good again. I know they use the characters from the games in a manga series.

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 4:46 pm

I want to add that I totally agree with innocentvenus. It's rather sad to see where fandoms have went and people trying to "be Japanese". It's one thing to like and appreciate them and their culture, another thing trying to be like them and doing it all wrong.

And yeah Yami I totally understand what you mean on Pokemon. I think one thing that urks me about the anime too is how Ash has never aged. I keep waiting for him to grow up and here we are, in Unova/Isshu, and he's still 10 and stupid with a powerful Pikachu that loses to rookies. How does that happen? I mean really.

I know this is a little off topic but... what I'd really love to see in Pokemon is a series aimed at an older audience too, maybe a little darker. Mature characters (older Ash?, perhaps characters from the actual manga?) and not morons basically just providing comedy. I feel like Pokemon has a lot of potential with a teenage/young adult audience too. Hell, I feel like Pokemon just has a lot of potential in general even if it does repeat basic elements. I thought it was quite the step to have the Black and White Versions have older player characters that are older than 10.

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9845
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 26
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 4:53 pm

YES Lady Tuxedo!! I love to have a pokemon series aimed at older people. I watched the animated trailer for Black and White 2 and it looked it so awesome!! After seeing it I asked myself why can't the anime be like this? I would die seeing N as a character in an anime.

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
innocentvenus
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Resident Time Lady
Posts : 463
Join date : 2011-09-27
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 5:01 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
Wow innocentvenus you hit the nail the big time! Shocked I had no idea about a lot of stuff you said. I thought the decline in anime DVDs here in the US was because of people watching it on the internet.

That's also it as well. With the way the fandom's changed, people could be arsed to actually buy the series instead of downloading it online. I remember when it was $30 for four episodes of a show. Hell, I remember when you could only get dubbed VHS' of only five things! I don't know why people complain about pricing when they've got it good. A whole series (26 episodes) for $40-$60. That was like eight episodes years ago.

Now that companies have provided free and legal, nearly simultaneous broadcasts of these shows, people are complaining they aren't 1080p and are still torrenting them. Everytime a new format comes out, they complain and act like spoiled and entitled jerks about it. It's like, be happy you're even getting it at all. For some reason many fans today somehow feel they're entitled to a show for free because they like it, forgetting the fact that this isn't a gift. It's a business and without money from products, there isn't a product to be a fan of.

But yeah, the anime companies themselves aren't helping. Like many other Japanese companies, they're sticking to old business models that don't work anymore because they fear the change.

Yamichan16 wrote:
About what you mention about Gundam and FMA thing. I have never really watched Gundam so I can't say anything about the fandom, but I will say something about FMA. I know a lot people think the 2009 series is better than the older one. Now, I like the new series better just because it follows the manga and I wasn't crazy about the old series's villain. However, I still like the old the series. It's a classic and you get to see some filler for character development (Tiny minskirts anyone? Wink ). The 2009 series had only 2 filler episodes, the first one and a recap episode.

I like the fact you explained why you like the newer series better. Many people just like it because it's new and pure. They can't see the merits of the older show because it came out first and while the manga was still ongoing. I happen to like the 2003 version better because I didn't like the manga very much. I thought some of the plot points were weak and really made no sense. But GOD FORBID I say even say this or else I'll have the wrath of fans down my back. No one can like what they like because everyone is too worried what everyone else likes and wants to fit in. It's all about fitting in now.

Gundam is just one huge mess and you're considered only a true fan if you love the original UC stuff (because it's the most popular still in Japan). When SEED came out here, Wing got slammed and considered garbage despite how much they loved it earlier because SEED was new and Wing was old. When 00 came out, they all hated SEED because it sucked despite the fact they used to like it. Now Wing is back to being the "golden child" because they figured out they can't hate it because 00 was just one big rehash of Wing. No one likes AGE so I can't say anything about that.

This is a rabid cycle that keeps going and going and I don't have the energy to worry about anymore. It's sad what's become of anime and the fandom.

___________________________


Keep Calm ♔ And Save the Universe
Back to top Go down
http://flash-and-fade.tumblr.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/midnightshinigami
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi
Posts : 2247
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 21
Location : Maryland


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 5:05 pm

Lady Tuxedo wrote:
I want to add that I totally agree with innocentvenus. It's rather sad to see where fandoms have went and people trying to "be Japanese". It's one thing to like and appreciate them and their culture, another thing trying to be like them and doing it all wrong.

And yeah Yami I totally understand what you mean on Pokemon. I think one thing that urks me about the anime too is how Ash has never aged. I keep waiting for him to grow up and here we are, in Unova/Isshu, and he's still 10 and stupid with a powerful Pikachu that loses to rookies. How does that happen? I mean really.

I know this is a little off topic but... what I'd really love to see in Pokemon is a series aimed at an older audience too, maybe a little darker. Mature characters (older Ash?, perhaps characters from the actual manga?) and not morons basically just providing comedy. I feel like Pokemon has a lot of potential with a teenage/young adult audience too. Hell, I feel like Pokemon just has a lot of potential in general even if it does repeat basic elements. I thought it was quite the step to have the Black and White Versions have older player characters that are older than 10.

This is my problem with shows in general, characters never age..I mean look at the simpsons XD, thanks why I love Dragon Ball and such...you watch Goku from his Childhood until he becomes a grandpa Smile

___________________________

Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/AlexandraHynson http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9845
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 26
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 5:14 pm

@Innocentvenus

Oh wow the Gundam fandom sounds so messed up! I thought the ATLA/Koraa fandom had it worse.

Innocentvenus, I'm glad you like the first FMA seies better than the newer one. You're entitled to your own opinion and sadly we now live in a world where you can't have your own opinion. If you say something different you get harassed about it. Sorry for that mini rant. People today make me so angry. >.> Anyway! I do agree that manga does have some weak moments. I was actually mad about the ending, but I like the villain, Father better than the old series's villain Dante. Also I like how Winry was better developed. The new series/manga also has LING!!! I love Greedling! <3

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 5:15 pm

You never know what they could potentially be thinking about doing with Pokemon Razz maybe there's some potential for a great, older audience targeted, cool Pokemon anime. All one can do is hope (but I wouldn't get my hopes too high x.x).

You know what else urks me? When people act like newer anime is like so great and awesome and fantastic. Like, Death Note. Okay, yes I understand that that is a great anime and all, but it isn't the best. Jeez. It is not the ultimate anime of all anime.

I also found it interesting that growing up, a large majority of anime that I watched was shounen. There wasn't much shojo. o_o There was what... Sailor Moon and Cardcaptors? Tokyo Mew Mew came around when I was about...I think 12-13. That was about it. Everything else was DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Metabots, Beyblade, One Piece, Shamen King, you get the idea. I've watched all of those (not religiously) and they were great, but there wasn't much anime for females that I remember growing up (correct me if I'm wrong; maybe I missed them).

@innocentvenus wrote:
Everytime a new format comes out, they complain and act like spoiled and entitled jerks about it. It's like, be happy you're even getting it at all. For some reason many fans today somehow feel they're entitled to a show for free because they like it, forgetting the fact that this isn't a gift. It's a business and without money from products, there isn't a product to be a fan of.

That's a lot of today's generation on basically everything. Whether people want to admit it or see it, it is happening. This generation is awful and to be honest, there's no one to point fingers to but at the failure parents that raised them because they're lazy. They're the people that said growing up "when I have a kid, I'm gonna let them do whatever they want and not ground them as harshly like my parents did to me" and stuck to it. OR just decide to give in to the demands of kids so they'll shut up and they don't have to deal with it anymore. Either way, it's failure parents and this is the dumb, ungrateful generation we have to deal with. People (read: parents) need to stop and look at the monster children they've raised and how ungrateful they are because it's ever present everywhere, even in anime fandoms.

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
innocentvenus
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Resident Time Lady
Posts : 463
Join date : 2011-09-27
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 5:25 pm

Haha thanks Yamichan! *huggles*

One thing I loved about the original FMA was Envy. He had the perfect motivation to be his namesake and hate the Elric Brothers. I also loved how Sloth was their mother's homunculus and how the Fuher was Pride, not Wrath.

Now I can't watch either version (at least in English) because of Vic. That, however, is a story that needs it's own page.

Lady Tuxedo wrote:
That's a lot of today's generation on basically everything. Whether people want to admit it or see it, it is happening. This generation is awful and to be honest, there's no one to point fingers to but at the failure parents that raised them because they're lazy. They're the people that said growing up "when I have a kid, I'm gonna let them do whatever they want and not ground them as harshly like my parents did to me" and stuck to it. OR just decide to give in to the demands of kids so they'll shut up and they don't have to deal with it anymore. Either way, it's failure parents and this is the dumb, ungrateful generation we have to deal with. People (read: parents) need to stop and look at the monster children they've raised and how ungrateful they are because it's ever present everywhere, even in anime fandoms.

THIS. THIS. THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for saying it! I am tired of parents not raising their children. As teachers, both myself and mother hear this all the time. Apparently we're the ones who are supposed to be raising their demon children; not them. God forbid they actually have to do something beside blowing their college money on trips and expensive stuff to even care two minutes about doing homework or monitoring their children's behavior. The Baby-Boomers were spoiled because of the effects WWII had on their parents, and now their children are spoiled.

___________________________


Keep Calm ♔ And Save the Universe
Back to top Go down
http://flash-and-fade.tumblr.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/midnightshinigami
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 5:32 pm

I think that's crap that people basically expect teachers to "raise" children. Teachers are around to educate, mold, enrich (if they are good teachers, I might add). Not raise a child. And the sad thing is, teachers are so disrespected all the time, for no reason whatsoever. It is beyond mind blowing and ridiculous. My favorite teacher in high school got fired basically because students didn't like her. And students didn't like her because she actually made her students work (and she wasn't necessarily the happiest because she was going through stuff). She was like the sweetest and best teacher I ever had and monsters gave her the boot out of the school. This generation is very frustrating and enraging because they're so disrespectful and rude and don't know how to value crap.

We're just full of lazy, monster children that think everything will be handed to them on a silver platter and they don't have to work for it or appreciate it or anything. I have this going on with my best friend's brother who is 20 and basically acts like he should be privileged just like his sisters, who worked hard to get where they are and going to college and have an apartment. He screwed around in school, got off easy all the time with his parents (yet his sisters never did), etc. and expects a silver platter of life handed to him.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves if you haven't noticed XDD horrible children.

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9845
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 26
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 5:39 pm

Lady Tuxedo wrote:
You never know what they could potentially be thinking about doing with Pokemon Razz maybe there's some potential for a great, older audience targeted, cool Pokemon anime. All one can do is hope (but I wouldn't get my hopes too high x.x).

You know what else urks me? When people act like newer anime is like so great and awesome and fantastic. Like, Death Note. Okay, yes I understand that that is a great anime and all, but it isn't the best. Jeez. It is not the ultimate anime of all anime.

I also found it interesting that growing up, a large majority of anime that I watched was shounen. There wasn't much shojo. o_o There was what... Sailor Moon and Cardcaptors? Tokyo Mew Mew came around when I was about...I think 12-13. That was about it. Everything else was DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Metabots, Beyblade, One Piece, Shamen King, you get the idea. I've watched all of those (not religiously) and they were great, but there wasn't much anime for females that I remember growing up (correct me if I'm wrong; maybe I missed them).

@innocentvenus wrote:
Everytime a new format comes out, they complain and act like spoiled and entitled jerks about it. It's like, be happy you're even getting it at all. For some reason many fans today somehow feel they're entitled to a show for free because they like it, forgetting the fact that this isn't a gift. It's a business and without money from products, there isn't a product to be a fan of.

That's a lot of today's generation on basically everything. Whether people want to admit it or see it, it is happening. This generation is awful and to be honest, there's no one to point fingers to but at the failure parents that raised them because they're lazy. They're the people that said growing up "when I have a kid, I'm gonna let them do whatever they want and not ground them as harshly like my parents did to me" and stuck to it. OR just decide to give in to the demands of kids so they'll shut up and they don't have to deal with it anymore. Either way, it's failure parents and this is the dumb, ungrateful generation we have to deal with. People (read: parents) need to stop and look at the monster children they've raised and how ungrateful they are because it's ever present everywhere, even in anime fandoms.

Yeah Lady Tuxedo, most of the shows I watched growing were aimed at boys. Cardcaptors was a fail attempt at dubbing because they turn a girl show and tried to aim at boys. XD

Thank you for quoting innocentvenus! I forget to mention about how everyone today complains about not be able to watch something or if it's not in HD, ect. It is so annoying! Like innocentvenus said it's not a gift! Just be happy it's free! Does HD make a show better? No! It just improves the quality of the picture! Also not everything looks great in HD anyway. If it was made before blue ray era nothing really improves when they "remaster" it for HD (unless it was shot in the highest quality for the time it was made in). It's just another way a company can take our money.

As for you said Lady Tuxedo. Yes today's generation are so annoying. Kids don't play outside anymore and parents don't discipline anymore. I hate going out in public and a kid is acting up and the parents do nothing about it!


Oh gosh now I need to response to Innocentvenus because your post became before mine. O.o


I didn't like how Sloth was their mother in the original FMA. I didn't like the original series Wrath either. He was annoying kid. I did enjoy Envy in both series.

You mentioned that the baby boomer kids were spoiled? Well my mom is a baby boomer and she didn't spoil me and my brother. Razz I think you're referring to the parents who where from the late 60s through the 80s. Possibly from the 90s as well (the teens who are now adults). The baby boom was after WWII to the end of the 50s.

ugh!! so many posts happening at once!! It's hard to keep up!!! I modify my post like twice. XD At Lady Tux yeah the education system is so messed up. Teachers don't teach anymore because they're afraid parents will get mad at them for giving their kid a F.

Well, I think we're going off topic now. ^^ But yet I don't really care. >.>

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Neon Genesis
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 864
Join date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 8:49 pm

I always hear people complaining about anime fans who act Japanese but for some reason I never actually see these people anywhere. Maybe they're more prevalent at cons or something, but it seems like at almost every anime forum I've been at, anime fans who try to act Japanese were always mocked and ridiculed so I don't see it as being that prevalent. At any case, I don't think it's any worse than diehard Trekkie fans who speak in Klingon or the way the Japanese will speak randomly in badly mispronounced Engrish or sing random Engrish in J-pop. Even in Sailor Moon, there's lots of badly mispronounced English attack names in it (Star Gentle Uterus anyone?). I find elitist anime fans to be annoying but they've always been apart of anime fandom. In the 90s, they were the dubbie versus sub wars and I remember back in the 90s Sailor Moon fans and DBZ fans hated each others guts and flamed each other all the time. If you liked DBZ, you were mocked for liking what was supposedly the "worst anime everz!" and if you liked Sailor Moon, you were mocked for liking a girly cartoon. So elitism has always been apart of anime fandom just like it's always been apart of any fandom.

I agree that people who only download all the time and never buy anything can be incredibly annoying but I find the draconian practices of the movie and music industry to regulate the Internet and ban free speech to be even more outrageous and immoral (*coughSOPAcough*) but that might be getting too political here. Of course I don't really interact with anime fandom much myself but I always try to be an optimistic person and I don't think the situation is nearly as bad as what it's being made out to be and I'd rather look at the positives than thinking doom and gloom.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9845
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 26
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 9:07 pm

I always look at the positive side as well. As for weebs there are out there trust me. I guess you have to go to cons and anime clubs to see them. I really don't know if Japanese people who speak englrish are trying to be American or any other citizen from other English speaking countries. I think in animes and music they add English to help people learn English. That's just a guess though.

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 9:09 pm

Sailor Moon vs. DBZ makes no sense to me. They're like entirely different series and styles. o_o people are crazy.

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 864
Join date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 9:41 pm

I guess it was because they were both Toei-made anime series that were popular on the Cartoon Network but I remember anime fandom in general was very hostile to DBZ back in the 90s and DBZ fans likewise were very hostile to anime fans who didn't like DBZ. It seems like it's only been in recent years after the uncut version was finally released in the U.S. that it's become more acceptable to be both an anime fan and a DBZ fan at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Senior Member
Small Lady Emeritus


Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom
Posts : 20322
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 29
Location : Lafayette, LA


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 9:46 pm

OH wow, I missed out on so much.

InnocentVenus, I agree with you like 100%.

@LadyTuxedo, i don't remember the sailor moon vs dbz wars? I was a fan of both growing up... so um... huh. I must've missed out on that.

@NeonGensis, I don't remember that hate either....when i grew up everyone loves DBZ and DBZ was awesome. xD

___________________________


Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9845
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 26
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 9:48 pm

I had no idea about the DBZ vs Sailor Moon either. As a kid I watched both shows and loved them! Sailor Moon came on at 4 on Toonami and then DBZ at 4:30! I can't believe I still remember that.

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 9:52 pm

I had no idea of them either but Genesis mentioned them and I remember coming across like "hints" of it online once. I loved both growing up myself XD

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 864
Join date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 10:20 pm

I just remember a lot of people used to bash DBZ for its long fight scenes and the infamous "five minutes to Namek explodes!" episodes.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Senior Member
Small Lady Emeritus


Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom
Posts : 20322
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 29
Location : Lafayette, LA


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 10:33 pm

People STILL bash DBZ for that stuff...because its so true. xD It was pretty ridiuclous at times when it came to filler, but it was still awesome. People still loved it regardless.

___________________________


Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
innocentvenus
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Resident Time Lady
Posts : 463
Join date : 2011-09-27
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 10:48 pm

Small Lady, you are like my BFF now. You always read my really long rants about everything! ♥♥♥

@Yamichan: Your parents are the exception then, which is awesome btw. The baby boomers were the ones responsible for doing away with being allowed to actually punish your children. But yeah, you're right. it's like a never ending cycle of spoiled jackassery.

I don't want to skew the topic off, but I'll just say this: I'm noticing a trend now with younger kids (like first/second graders). They're becoming a bit less spoiled. They're more attentive at school now, which is awesome. This needs to keep happening.

___________________________


Keep Calm ♔ And Save the Universe
Back to top Go down
http://flash-and-fade.tumblr.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/midnightshinigami
Brit-chan
Senior Member
Small Lady Emeritus


Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom
Posts : 20322
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 29
Location : Lafayette, LA


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 11:00 pm

@innocentvenus wrote:
Small Lady, you are like my BFF now. You always read my really long rants about everything! ♥♥♥

@Yamichan: Your parents are the exception then, which is awesome btw. The baby boomers were the ones responsible for doing away with being allowed to actually punish your children. But yeah, you're right. it's like a never ending cycle of spoiled jackassery.

I don't want to skew the topic off, but I'll just say this: I'm noticing a trend now with younger kids (like first/second graders). They're becoming a bit less spoiled. They're more attentive at school now, which is awesome. This needs to keep happening.

xD it took me so long to read cause people kept distracting me and i'm like "LET ME READ THIS LONG POST PLS". xD

And, i dunno... i find most kids i have to deal with (while granted, the major demographic of people i deal with are black) at work, around that age...are so godamn bratty. A lot of the times the parents are just pissy or don't give a crap about their kid as they destroy the store while they are on the phone. Their parents give them whatever they want just so they will shut up and leave them alone. They yell and scream and curse at their kids (which if you take any psychology, that kind of parenting doesn't really work). Then granted, I get some pretty awesome parents that know how to put their foot down and won't let them get whatever they want ("you only have $10 so no you can't have that $60 game, i don't have $60, you crazy. You gotta work for your money" <---the winrars right there) but yeah... i feel your pain but in the retail world where i'm that person that works at that game store we hate because all our kids want is these damn expensive games.

o_o; So yeah way off topic, but i think it can go along with the original topic as well. So yeah.


yeah.


i hate retail. u.u

___________________________


Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Brit-chan
Senior Member
Small Lady Emeritus


Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom
Posts : 20322
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 29
Location : Lafayette, LA


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 11:17 pm

Also, don't take what I said as me being racist, a majority of the people that shop at our store are black and I find the majority of them are extremely rude, ungrateful, or are just a plain terrible person with how they act to other people. However, people of all races shop at our store and I've gotten rude people on both ends of the spectrum. I don't know what it is about being on the side of town i'm on (the side with majorly lower-middle class to lower class, but we get poeple from other areas that aren't in the city, like outside the city and its still just...ugh).

People are just so rude at that store. :/

___________________________


Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 11:24 pm

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant in my post about how awful kids are and there's no one to blame but the parents for their behavior. It's either they just give in to kids to make them shut up and leave them alone, or they followed their little "promise" that they'd let their kids do whatever they want (unlike what their parents allowed them to do) and not really punish them because their parents punished them "too harshly". It's sad to see, really.

And THEN they have the nerve to complain about this generation...

(you don't sound racist. If you want the truth, I'm fairly certain that all other races are way more racist to white people than white people are to them -_- which is way wrong (not saying everybody that isn't white is racist, either). I'm not saying there isn't extremely racist white people, but I find more people that aren't white more racist towards white people because they think they can be/deserve that right/etc. They generalize the white population together because of a few bad people they probably encountered.)

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Senior Member
Small Lady Emeritus


Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom
Posts : 20322
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 29
Location : Lafayette, LA


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 11:33 pm

I like how this turned into a thread about anime to a "i hate people" thread. xD LOL

But back on topic.

I think everyone has made some valid points here about becoming disinterested in anime. Like I said, I stumble on a series here and there that I enjoy (I find its easier to get into shorter series) and then occasionally I get into some manga.

Like.... speaking of that... I watched Princess Jellyfish. Read the manga because the anime had an unsastisfacotry ending leaving a lot of things unanswered and it turns out the manga (which goes on past the anime) ISN'T DONE YET. MY CREYS.

>.>.....

<.<.....


Is there much else to add to this thread without going off topic because i can't seem to help myself? XD

___________________________


Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 11:36 pm

Well people DO suck...cough... >.> maybe we can make another thread for going off topic on these topics? XD

Also, that's kinda stupid how people try to finish an anime or rush it when the manga isn't even done yet. That sort of happened with Sailor Moon too, right? And they had to use filler stuff because the manga wasn't complete? And then they didn't even adapt anything from the manga to the anime. The anime is like it's own stand alone story like the manga in that way.

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Senior Member
Small Lady Emeritus


Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom
Posts : 20322
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 29
Location : Lafayette, LA


PostSubject: Re: Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?   2nd August 2012, 11:43 pm

well sailor moon wa skinda different when it came to that. Naoko had intended to end the story after the Black Moon Clan arc (from what i remember reading somewhere) however she had a deal with Toei and they kept pushing her for more so the anime could continue (due to its popularity; sailor moon = cash cow at the time). Which is why the manga feels very rushed, especially towards the end.

But yeah... i agree, but this discussion about manga to anime is like...a whole nother ball park (and one i don't have much knowledge in).

___________________________


Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
 

Growing out of anime or is today's anime has nothing to offer?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Other Anime and Manga-