Share | 

Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   31st July 2011, 5:10 pm

Hallo all!

Alright, so as some of you who follow my tumblr may be aware of, I am quite obsessed with a variety of other manga besides Sailor Moon. There are some mangaka out there who are just incredibly brilliant and have really touched and insoired and just plain delighted me. I wrote up a list at my tumblr and the lovely Lady Galaxia asked me to share it here as well. Of course I had to be stupid and go overboard for here.

I would be thrilled to pieces if any of you know of these mangaka as well! If you need any assistance finding and downloading these, just ask. Smile

Oh and as a forewarning, the majority of these are yaoi. As I do not believe that yaoi warrants as above a PG-13 rating so much as sexual situations in general, so I think this is fine. Smile I will put a warning by the ones that constitute as PG-13 and why.

]
Nakamura Asumiko. Images featured: Doukyuusei, Double Mints, Anata no Tame nara doko Made mo, J no Subete.

Nakamura Asumiko is the kind of mangaka that will always be in a class of her own to me. An artist with a unique, enthralling quality, she is also a storyteller who can magnificently weave together characters and dialog of every genre possible: shoujo, yaoi, humour, innocence, psychological disturbance, abuse, yuri, goth. It is incredible to me that each story she creates can be so poignant, as if she is a master of that genre. I am particularly drawn to her artistic style, which is unlike any I have ever seen -- boneless individuals with startling eyes and eyelashes; as well as limbs that twist with such emotion or even humour. Truly, I cannot say enough about her. She has created so many works, but I will just mention a few of my favorites.

Doukyuusei -- the descriptive tagline of this manga is beautiful enough for me: A boy met a boy. They were in the flush of youth. They were in love that felt like a dream, like a sparkling soda pop.
This is a manga that really can never be compared to any other. There is such a purity about the characters and the relationship between these two boys. Every time I read it, I find myself overwhelmed all over again, as if it is the first time I have ever read it. There is a dialog in this manga that is so simple and earnest, and the actions and drawing is beautiful enough reason alone to read this. The physical relationship between these two is such a pure one as well, I rate it PG-13 for the simple notion that it is a yaoi.

On the complete opposite of the spectrum is Double Mints (R) -- which is very dark and psychologically twisting -- with a strange masochistic relationship and a cruel past that lingers into the present adult-hoods of Mitsuo and Mitsuo. This is an incredible manga though and will not disappoint. J no Subete (R) is also a very disturbing manga but the artwork is so imploring and the characters so beautifully pained and real that I cannot help but be in love with it as well. Be forewarned though that this is not for the faint of heart. The boy named J goes through many traumatic experiences throughout this 3-volume manga. But what I think is possibly best about Nakamura Asumiko is her ability to end a manga. Many mangaka are excellent storytellers but cannot live up to the quality of their work with a proper ending. Nakamura can end a series unlike any I have seen.

And for some light-hearted and wonderfully humourous manga, I urge you to read Non-non (PG) and Anata no Tame nara doko Made mo (PG-13). Some of her more splendid one-shots include BnW, Perfect World, I Am A Piano and Til Dawn.
Random snippets:

Sakuraga Mei is as much a guilty pleasure for me as she is my top three favorite mangaka. (As you may have noticed) art plays a serious role in choosing which mangaka I will be attracted to, and Sakuraga Mei is just incredible. I especially love the way she draws clothing and the way it hangs and pulls on different parts of a male's body (hips, shoulders, the bend in the elbow). She portrays her figures as thin and lanky and I personally have such a love of how loose and crinkled her clothes appear. I think it makes her figures look more alluring and tangible. She also has a special tick in her art -- an infatuation with tongues and saliva in her kisses. It's pretty amazing, in an odd way. She's also really precise with the cartilage in the ears too. But enough of that. Her storylines are usually about highschool boys. She has a range of amusing humour and smexiness, a bit of drama, but for the most part her manga is really just enjoyable to read.

One of the things I love best about her characters are that both the uke and the seme are often on even grounds. The uke is not a trembling weak individual and the seme is not this sadistic brute. Another fantastic thing about her is that she has this tendency to do series, in which she will link the same four characters in different spin-offs and such. I love when you read about a couple, and you love them, and then you see them again!

She is best known for her Warui series (OT) but the ones I love the most is Koi ja Nai Kedo & Kirai ja nai Kedo (both OT). The images above are from those two. My particular favorite is Mujihi na Otoko (OT), which is a little darker. It has this heavy undertone to it, especially with the presence of Nanao, a beautiful megane fellow with an AB personality. At home he walks around with a rumpled shirt and mused hair, smoking a cigarette and spouting lewd things to his brother Mikado (from the Warui series). At school he is different -- quiet, reclusive, his clothes are more in order and he dones glasses. There is so much mystery to his character. He is constantly making mention of how he was "back then;" there is a sad smile that tinges in his eyes.

Kaori Monchi. Seito Kaichou ni Chuukoku -- Hey Class President (OT)
This manga is in my top three favorites. I own the english volumes and I pretty much re-read them every night. For some reason I do not think she is known well enough and I am not sure why. When first reading her work, it may seem a bit stuffed with panels and dialog and internal dialog per page, but when you get used to it, her work really makes for a wonderful read. She has a bit of a sketchy quality to her art although not very much. She has a beautiful way of drawing eyes but I think her specialty is the way she portrays lips to be soft and wet and her kisses to be warm and gentle. I think this is the most alluring manga that I have ever read and there is so much I could say about it.

I would advise you to read Hey Class President. I think it is a wonderful series and it is beautiful to see the relationship between the two main characters grow and mature. I think it is one of the few yaoi where a "like" turns into a “love” that appears so real and raw to the reader. And well, it is very steamy too without being vulgar. Monchi likes to take her time. Wink Also, one of the things I love best, is that she has her characters engage in a lot of banter. It’s awesome. Razz

Sakuragi Yaya -- Although all of her work is not my favorite, I think her odd drawing style is what attracts me to it. It’s very unusual, I think. The characters have very lazy eyes and very large hands and long bodies but I like these awkward physical characteristics. I’ve read all of her work and enjoyed it but Nee, Sensei?and Calorie (both possibly OT) are my favorites. I am particurarly fond of Nee, Sensei? because I love the student-teacher setting; Calorie is rather endearing to me as well though. Smile

Touko Kawai. Cut, Bondz, Just Around the Corner
I do not read her work anymore but she was one of my first yaoi mangaka, so her work is special to me. I think her artwork is very beautiful although sometimes the limbs of her figures look stiff. But she has very elegant fingers and very nice eyes. She has a beautiful way of drawing melancholy expressions. I also like her stories a lot too. Her seme and uke are usually on the same level and although there is not great tragedy involved, sometimes the characters have painful pasts. Cut (PG-13) is a beautiful story about two boys who have abused pasts, one who is still involved in self-abuse. I do not think that is a very common theme in yaoi. But I wouldn’t call the manga dark or depressing, which is why I love it very much.

My eyes hurt. I have more but ehhhhh, enough for now?

[Isshou-ni.net]

Last edited by Sailor Jupiter on 23rd November 2012, 10:26 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net https://twitter.com/mydearsourwolf
insertsenshiname
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : Insert Senshi Name [HERE]!

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   10th August 2011, 6:29 pm

Quote :

Nakamura Shungiku. Junjou Romantica, Sekaiichi Hatsukoi (both OT)
For years I have abhored the idea of getting into this series. But then I stumbled upon the anime and fell in love. I’ll admit — the drawing, especially in the beginning of Junjou Romantica, can be pretty shocking. Hand proportions are just frightening. This is more of a fun, guilty pleasure for me. I think Nakamura tries to write about too much (each series contains three couples who she spends attention to in each volume), and I get so invested in my couples that three is too much. But I still like the series. It is rather humourous and has it’s steamy parts and is romantic as well.

Unfortunatley, I only know of Nakamura Shungiku, but I absolutely love Junjou Romantica Smile I would have to say Junjou is my all time favorite, but then again it's also the only yaoi manga/anime I've ever read and watched. Although, I must say "Nee, Sensei?" looks interesting Very Happy

Back to Junjou... the whole 3 story lines based off of 3 couples that some how connect with one another was a little hard for me to adjust to, simply because it was a lot to take in. The first two episodes were all about Misaki and Akihiko, I start watching the third episodes and they were gone. Although it took a little time for me to get used to the *switching back & forth*, the more I watched it, the more I got used to it.

Is their a certain pairing you're more interested in? I know their is "Romantica": MisakixAkihiko, "Egoist": HirokixNowaki, and "Terrorist": MiyagixShinobu. Personally, I tend to lean more towards "Romantica" Smile

Back to top Go down
http://cagedangel.tumblr.com
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   11th August 2011, 11:57 pm

Oh, if you're into yaoi, have you read any est em? Red Blinds the Foolish and Seduce Me After the Show are the ones I've got around. Not PG-13, though. They're really gorgeous, both stories and art - the art style is a bit different from a lot of other stuff, simple but IMO high impact and really appropriate to the stories.
Back to top Go down
http://tofsla.dreamwidth.org
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   16th August 2011, 6:41 pm

@Toft -- I have repeatedly heard about Est Em! I want to try SO BADLY. I was actually going to dl some the other day. The art looks so beautiful. Thank you for reminding me again! I will attempt to find some now. ^^

@Maria -- I do hope that you will give Nee, Sensei? a try. It is really good. I can help you dl it if you need. Smile As for JR, I really feel the same way that you do. All those couples are a bit much for me, I hate that. When I was watching the anime (which I watched first) I remember flailing about in frustration when the story switched from Usagi/Misaki to the other couples -- just when it was getting good! lol.

Romantica is my definite favorite. I can't even begin to see how much I love Usagi. Hee. Misaki can get a bit bothersome at times (how can he keep resisting Usagi???) but in general, they are my favorite couple. Egoist would be my first if not for Usagi and the relationship between him and Misaki. I tend to like adults more than kids. I really like Hiroki a lot. I like his looks and his personality cracks me up. Nowaki is so endearing too. ^^ I am not interested in Terroist. For several reasons, really. The first is that they are the last couple to be introduced, so, sadly, I just did not have anymore attention capacity for them. >_< And also, another teenager. :\ If they had their own mini manga then I am sure I would like it more because I do like the sensei/student premise a lot -- one of my favorites. ^^

[Isshou-ni.net]
Back to top Go down
insertsenshiname
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   18th August 2011, 9:14 pm

Quote :
I do hope that you will give Nee, Sensei? a try. It is really good. I can help you dl it if you need.
Yes! I would love that Smile I've been trying to find it myself, but I guess I'm really bad at searching because nothing has been popping up ):

For JR, I definitely agree with you when it comes to Misaki. That boy is crazy! Usagi is all his and instead of taking advantage of the situation, he just sits back and whines > >;; For Egoist, at first I found Hiroki annoying XD The more he got upset with Nowaki (who is just too adorable) the more I wanted to chuck a book in his face. Now when it comes to Terroist, I feel the same. Although, in episode 8 season 2, you can't tell me you didn't break down laughing when Miyagi practically kidnapped Shinobu in front of the foreigner kid/guy--person... Haha!

Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   18th August 2011, 9:42 pm

I will PM it to you just to err on the side of caution. Smile

Oh my gosh, I DIED during the mini kidnap scene in Terriost. I especially loved hearing them speak in English. lol. The accent is so adorable. Although I am not a fan of another teen character, I adore Shinobu. I love his character so much and I think he is superb. Whenever there were Egoist episodes, I would take special enjoyment whenever he popped up to annoy Hiroki. I really like his carefree attitude. And his mini sideburns make me chuckle as well. XD

Now Hiroki, I can understand why he would annoy you -- Nowaki is pretty much the sweetest guy ever. But I don't know, I don't mind him. I think what saves it for me is that he has this deep voice, so his rants are not so much annoying to hear. Plus, I think he is constantly overreacting and I find it cute. Razz And I loved it when he wore that hat squashed down over his head with his hair peaking out. ^^

[Isshou-ni.net]
Back to top Go down
insertsenshiname
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   19th August 2011, 3:47 am

I loved when they spoke in English, I found it funny but really cute, especially when Shinobu responded to the foreign guy, "Yeah! I was rolling on the floor laughing!" XD Also, Miyagi's so-called "disguise," which was a scarf, a hat, and glasses. Haha! That episode was great.

I can see how Hiroki's deep voice gets to you, just because I happen to like his voice as well, but I think I love Usagi's deep voice a little bit more ^///^ Oh! In an attempt to find a picture of Hiroki with his beanie, this picture popped up on my dashboard (on my personal):

Also! Thank you so much for the links, I just started reading Smile

Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   30th August 2011, 5:16 pm

YOU POSTED A PIC OF SQUASHED-DOWN-HAT HIROKI! Yayness! Yah, I just love him in that shot so much. His "super secret stealth mode" disguise was hilarious as well. And Nowaki was so unfazed by it when he asks 'Is that why you've been stalking me?" lol. I do not remember the exact line, but yah. Razz I cannot remember Miyagi's get-up that you described though.

USAGI-SAN's VOICE WINS. It is so gorgeous and deep and smexy and he has such a lovely way of talking softly. It has this soft wet tongue sound to it. I know that probably sounds incredibly pervy and no sense whatsoever, but it is the only way that I can describe it. Personally, I am torn between his voice and Takano's, which has this raspy undertone to it. Gyah. Who is your all time favorite?

And I am so excited that you have started reading! Tell me what you think. ^^

[Isshou-ni.net]
Back to top Go down
insertsenshiname
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   4th September 2011, 5:18 am

So, about Nee, Sensei?... I finished it the first day you sent me the links XD I stayed up and read it all. Anytime I get into something, I never stop reading Sad I'm finding it to be a very bad habit, especially since it keeps me from sleeping Now back to the manga, I really enjoyed it, although Isa did upset me a couple of times. At some moments I wished Homura would just stop apologizing for his actions, I felt he had a right to be upset with him, but that's just me Neutral
Quote :
this soft wet tongue sound.... that probably sounds incredibly pervy and no sense whatsoever...
Haha! It doesn't sound pervy, but it is kind of hard to imagine how it sounds soft and wet.
On another note, my all time favorite would have to be Usagi I don't know what it is about him... Possibly his looks, I mean... I've always been attracted to men with his type of style, but then again, it might be his deep "wet tongue" voice Wink I'm going to say it's both. I love his deep voice, especially when he speaks softly towards Misaki, but then I really love his style as well.

Another thing... I realized I use a lot of emoticons when I write to people Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   4th September 2011, 4:43 pm

Oh my gosh, I am an emoticon addict! I actually end up deleting a lot of them before I hit SEND because I am afraid that it looks too outrageous. EMOTICON AWAY, MY FRIEND!

Quote :
Haha! It doesn't sound pervy, but it is kind of hard to imagine how it sounds soft and wet.
Gyah, I know, I know! But it's like, goodness, so hard to describe. It's the manner in which his tongue presses up against the back of his teeth and pulls away slowly. I know this sounds utterly insane. I do not know if it is because I love words and pronunciation or because as a figure drawer I imagine these actions as behind-the-scenes to the physical appearance ... I should stop.

Anyway, yes, I feel the same, Usagi is my favorite, although if he and Takano were both in the same anime I would have a VERY hard time choosing. But there is something about Usagi's "helpless" nature about common things that I find to be so endearing. Hee. And his looks. I love when he hair is unkempt in in front of his eyes. GYAH.

YAY you read Nee, Sensei? !! Very Happy I am so glad. Yah, there is a bit of ... apologizing, but I find it very sweet. I love the expressions that Sakuragi Yaya draws. SO MUCH. They are probably a required taste ... but I love it. ^^

And crap, crap, crap my bandwidth has over exceeded and I have NO IDEA how to get those images to a new account. What to do?????

[Isshou-ni.net]
Back to top Go down
insertsenshiname
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   4th September 2011, 9:24 pm

Overall, I really enjoyed Nee, Sensei? I've keep reading your description on "Hey, Class President! It looks pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on the manga online, like explaining it, but I don't mind giving it a try... once I find an online manga-thingy. Haha XD

I've been trying to find an image of Miyagi in his terrible disguise, but nothing showed up. BUT! I was able to find a video with JUST the clip of Miyagi and Shinobu with the foreigner Very Happy Unfortunately you don't see a lot of Miyagi's disguise, but you see enough... if that makes any sense > >;;

Anyways! The wonderful video.

Back to top Go down
Plum
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   6th September 2011, 9:23 pm

I thought I would like yaoi 'cause I'm totally into manmanlove, but I haven't liked much of what I've read. I really did enjoy Kaori Monchi though! If you like that one, I'll have to give these other ones you recommend a shot.

Blog | Tumblr | Flickr Twitter | G+ | Etsy
Back to top Go down
http://thegrownupsarelying.blogspot.com
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   8th September 2011, 8:25 am

@Plum wrote:
I thought I would like yaoi 'cause I'm totally into manmanlove, but I haven't liked much of what I've read. I really did enjoy Kaori Monchi though! If you like that one, I'll have to give these other ones you recommend a shot.
Ohmygosh, a fellow yaoi lover. You must tell me what you like as well! This is just a place to get things going! You can totally post your favorites as well. I don't mind at all. Smile

I do encourage you to give my recs a try! Class President is in my top three favorite yaoi. As I had said, it may seem like fluffy smut at first, the the character development of their affection towards one another is so strong. I was very surprised.

You must try Doukyuusei by Nakamura Asumiko. To me, there is not a single manga like it. Anata is on the comedic side, so if you like President, I think you will enjoy the atmosphere of that one as well. And of course the others too! ^^

[Isshou-ni.net]
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   8th September 2011, 8:27 am

@insertsenshiname wrote:
Overall, I really enjoyed Nee, Sensei? I've keep reading your description on "Hey, Class President! It looks pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on the manga online, like explaining it, but I don't mind giving it a try... once I find an online manga-thingy. Haha XD

I've been trying to find an image of Miyagi in his terrible disguise, but nothing showed up. BUT! I was able to find a video with JUST the clip of Miyagi and Shinobu with the foreigner Very Happy Unfortunately you don't see a lot of Miyagi's disguise, but you see enough... if that makes any sense > >;;

Anyways! The wonderful video.
WHY DO THEY SOUND DUTCH WHEN THEY TRY TO SPEAK ENGLISH? XD Oh gosh, thank you so much for the hilarity of that clip. I still cannot remember Miyagi's disguise! lol. Which episode is it from? I'll go watch it. ^^

President is hard to find because it is licensed in America. I have a few of the volumes though, which I can send you via PM if you would like. I have to go searching for them. But I would love for you to read it so I do not mind! Very Happy

[Isshou-ni.net]
Back to top Go down
Halfpixieman
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sarah

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   22nd January 2012, 7:12 pm

I found your message Rebecca, on tumblr. I couldn't see it for a while but I randomly caught sight of my #halfpixieman tag and was like, ooh!

This is an amazing review I just don't know where to start! Maybe from the list up? Like you, I'm drawn to beautiful artworks first and foremost and then storyline. Thanks so much for getting back to me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   25th January 2012, 8:20 pm

Yay, I'm so glad that you finally got to it! Smile

I would encourage you to start with Nakamura Asumiko. The woman is just brilliant and has written every genre possible. You must please read Doukyuusei! I would recommend that one first before anything else!

And then Mujihi na Anata by Sakuraga Mei which is just delicious beyond all reason. But I also really like the characters too. She draws her males so beautifully with these sleek alluring eyes. Gyah.

But definitely Nakamura. Incredible art and unbelievably, just as wonderful story lines.

[Isshou-ni.net]
Back to top Go down
Halfpixieman
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sarah

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews   25th January 2012, 9:02 pm

Well... I ended up reading the complete Warui series by Sakuraga Mei - mainly because the characters were so, so beautiful. I just thought Mikado and Shinonome were the most amazing creations I have ever seen!

I'm so hooked!

I find Nakamura Asumiko's art to be so extremely different. I'm um-ing and ah-ing about whether to read her work but why not? I'll have a look see. I'll probably love it so much and wonder why I ever doubted it in the first place! That's usually what happens...

I would love to also check out Nakamura Shungiku's work - I noticed there's a few Romantica enthusiasts so that sounds good, as well as Touko Kawai because her characters look so gorgeous. I'm really into the way the eyes, lips and jawlines are drawn - that always captivates me.

Yes I'm a tad obsessed. Razz If I check my to-read list I'm being instructed to also read Hana Wa Suku Ka as well. I think I saw a manga cap on your tumblr and was like, that looks wonderful *adds to to-read list* - haha.

I'll be going now... *Ahem* Wink
Back to top Go down

Sailor Jupiter's Enthusiastic List of Manga Recs & Reviews

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Other Anime and Manga-