HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed


Star Seed

Title : The Hybrid Enigma
Posts : 1463
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3


PostSubject: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 7:52 pm

I see a lot of people talking about this. In America it was aimed for kids, and many many scenes were cut, changed and so many things it's hard to keep up.

Lately, I've seen a number of people say that even the Japanese version was aimed for kids and not young adults. Now, I know most of us know this isn't true.

What are your opinions? Post pictures and video references if you'd like. This way, we'll have a reference link when someone wants to discuss the differences.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 8:05 pm

As my good friend Brit told me: Sailor Moon, even in Japan, was aimed at kids. If you need reassurance of this, consider the commercials for Sailor Moon products that there were. Consider the appearance of said Sailor Moon products.

Sailor Moon was/is how MLP is here: aimed at kids, but picked up an older fan base and snuck in more mature ideas/themes for the older audience. Just like MLP.

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi
Posts : 2247
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 21
Location : Maryland


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 8:10 pm

I agree with Mars saying that Sailor Moon was aimed towards kids, but you also have to look at the differences between Eastern and Western culture when it comes to raising kids and what they are subjected to or "allowed to know"

I don't know the differences because I haven't studied the culture, but I'm pretty sure that there are some differences. If anyone knows any please feel free to step in!

And I'm not sure, but wouldn't this topic maybe belong in the debate section?

___________________________

Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/AlexandraHynson http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 8:13 pm

Ah, good catch Lex. Moving this topic to theories and debates section because this will probably turn into a debate ^^

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
NaoUranus
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official NaoUranus/myuteer
Posts : 3494
Join date : 2013-04-14
Age : 25
Location : Nao Takagi's House? yea yea I know I wish


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 8:22 pm

Yea I have to agree they seem to have a pretty big fanbase that was children but other had picked it up. I do belive at the time of the dub's release parents would have had a problem with the homosexual relationships present in the anime (ZoiciteXKunzite, HarukaXMichiru) so changes were made to those zoicite became female and Haruka and Michiru became cousins Something I totally don't agree with. Seriously though some of the things that happened between Michiru and Haruka in the anime I don't think the cousins excuse really worked out in the end.

___________________________



 Avatar and Sig by Princess Moon. Bumpers by Small Lady Thanks ^^ 
Back to top Go down
http://murabuchou.livejournal.com/
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed


Star Seed

Title : The Hybrid Enigma
Posts : 1463
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 9:06 pm

I know MLP is targeted at younger audiences but I'm 26 and I watch it, however I do believe only the dub was targeted for kids and it was originally meant for young teens+ from the very beginning because in the beginning adult themes are there

Here are some of my reasoning

There are lesbians,
gay guys,
crossdressers,
genderbending,
nudity,
panty shots,
sexual innuendos all throughout the anime.
The anime subdued some of the stronger themes but they were still there.

In the manga all those things are there, but there is much more such as
art pictures of bondage,
sexualized themes,
Violence and death,
Usagi and Mamoru having had sex(wasn't graphic but seeing them both naked in bed hinted at it plenty enough),
Chibiusa frenching her father as Black Lady,
Ail and ann are brother and sister but also involved romantically,
there are other hints at incest,
rotting corpses,
melting flesh and skeletons,
people getting impaled by objects,
Serenity committed suicide a couple times,
Hotaru being naked hooked up to machines having been turned into a human/cyborg hybrid by her own father,
underage drinking,
boat theft, etc.

All of these adult themes were changed to suit a younger audience. If it were originally aimed for children, these changes wouldn't have been necessary.

Here are some reference links.
http://aramatheydidnt.livejournal.com/3993701.html

http://www.smuncensored.com/charts.php

http://www.eternalsailormoon.org/world/nasm/nasm3.html

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=185428

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdwtEBaRBoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j84SygZVXQ

While I don't agree with a lot of the things on this website, but at times it makes a valid point.
http://moonsisters.org/moonsisters/mysterymoon/GrowUpAlreadyPeople.htm

Spoiler:
 

I'm not going to even bother with the nudity scenes and panty shots because there are so many it'd be pointless lol

These are some of the reasons why I don't think it was originally intended for kids. Back when Sailor Moon first came here, ALL anime were pretty much viewed as kids shows. In the producers mind animation=kid show.

Another problem is a lot of people think shoujo anime/manga automatically is aimed at kids and it's not it's just meant for a female audience, the targeted age range can still vary^^
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 9:16 pm

Since you have so many images, can you spoiler that please?

Also, as mentioned already before, it was made for kids, but obviously has mature elements. It also differs between Eastern and Western cultures and what they deem appropriate for kids to see. Their culture is drastically different from ours in what they deem appropriate for kids. I was refreshing my memory today on Pokemon Crystal and remembered that "mobile event" that you could do to obtain Celebi. It was translated and planned to come to the US but got scrapped. Why? Because US kids didn't run around with cell phones back then, but in Japan, kids did. It goes to show that what they show kids and even allows kids to do is very different from the US.

Case in point:





Those are young children, not tiny adults.

Getting back to the MLP comparison, remember what I just said: differing cultures and what they allow their children to see/do. Japan allows these things you mentioned in Sailor Moon and even in other anime. Pokemon, totally aimed for kids, but got an older following. Has pantie shots and Brock obsessed with women and whatnot. Differing cultures.

Also, I'll bet you'll be surprised at what you'll see in most kid cartoons anyway these days.

___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed


Star Seed

Title : The Hybrid Enigma
Posts : 1463
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 9:33 pm

I already said in my first comment it was ok to post pictures.


Japanese Girl Group Ad Causes Controversy by NewsLook
This is a candy commercial that's controversial even in japan


Russian Roulette toy for kids, made around the same time as Sailor Moon. Caused a lot of problems. Just because they can make toys doesn't mean it's always the best idea, although I don't see a problem with Sailor Moon toys the way there is for a Russian roulette toy, it was a banned toy.

this just goes to show if they can sell it they will, regardless of aimed target audiences



Back to top Go down
NaoUranus
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official NaoUranus/myuteer
Posts : 3494
Join date : 2013-04-14
Age : 25
Location : Nao Takagi's House? yea yea I know I wish


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 9:35 pm

@nerf-or-nothing wrote:
I know MLP is targeted at younger audiences but I'm 26 and I watch it, however I do believe only the dub was targeted for kids and it was originally meant for young teens+ from the very beginning because in the beginning adult themes are there

Here are some of my reasoning

There are lesbians,
gay guys,
crossdressers,
genderbending,
nudity,
panty shots,
sexual innuendos all throughout the anime.
The anime subdued some of the stronger themes but they were still there.

In the manga all those things are there, but there is much more such as
art pictures of bondage,
sexualized themes,
Violence and death,
Usagi and Mamoru having had sex(wasn't graphic but seeing them both naked in bed hinted at it plenty enough),
Chibiusa frenching her father as Black Lady,
Ail and ann are brother and sister but also involved romantically,
there are other hints at incest,
rotting corpses,
melting flesh and skeletons,
people getting impaled by objects,
Serenity committed suicide a couple times,
Hotaru being naked hooked up to machines having been turned into a human/cyborg hybrid by her own father,
underage drinking,
boat theft, etc.

All of these adult themes were changed to suit a younger audience. If it were originally aimed for children, these changes wouldn't have been necessary.

Here are some reference links.
http://aramatheydidnt.livejournal.com/3993701.html

http://www.smuncensored.com/charts.php

http://www.eternalsailormoon.org/world/nasm/nasm3.html

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=185428

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdwtEBaRBoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j84SygZVXQ

While I don't agree with a lot of the things on this website, but at times it makes a valid point.
http://moonsisters.org/moonsisters/mysterymoon/GrowUpAlreadyPeople.htm


One of many cut episodes, this one from the first season.


A boy pretty much dry humping her, acting weird and then removes his pants so she can look at his little elephant.

Most of these picture were taken from other websites and the links above, the writing irritates me too but I'm lazy to search for these images in episodes. It's just to make a point, if I can ignore the writing you guys can too^^


Spoiler:
 
I'm not going to even bother with the nudity scenes and panty shots because there are so many it'd be pointless lol

These are some of the reasons why I don't think it was originally intended for kids. Back when Sailor Moon first came here, ALL anime were pretty much viewed as kids shows. In the producers mind animation=kid show.

Another problem is a lot of people think shoujo anime/manga automatically is aimed at kids and it's not it's just meant for a female audience, the targeted age range can still vary^^



Oh honey by the time I was watching Sailor Moon Me and a good portion of the kids I went to school with Had seen far far worse. they could have very easily been targeting a younger audience. I mean I have heard so much about how much of the fan base is children that I believe they might have been targeting the younger audience. And really I don't understand how Lesbian relationships were wrong for children I remember running into same sex couples just about all the time when I was little so really it's a real life thing that children were dealing with on a daily basis that I think it was just the dubbers had a problem with same sex couple so they automatically assumed parents parents would as well when in actuality I think we were starting to accept it a bit more at least that was the case in my area.

Granted I don't think StarS was originally intended for kids mainly because of the final battle but all the rest of the stuff like I said me and most of the kids I went to school with had seen far far worse. Though I still think there was the group of parents that also had a problem with the Homosexual relationships in the anime I don't think that would have geared it towards an older audience. Even than their were still somethings in the English dub that people could argue the dub wasn't aimed at children as well. My mother would never have let me watch it if she had known about the age difference between Momoru and Usagi or the age difference between Zoicite and Kunzite (at least I think they had a pretty big age difference between those two) and I think their were a few others but it's been quit a while since I watched the dub.

As for the manga I knew quit a few people who never actually read the manga and I really don't know what all went on in a good portion of it though the skeleton in the cell yet again i have seen far worse my 13 year old brother was watching worse at age 6.

___________________________



 Avatar and Sig by Princess Moon. Bumpers by Small Lady Thanks ^^ 
Back to top Go down
http://murabuchou.livejournal.com/
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed


Star Seed

Title : The Hybrid Enigma
Posts : 1463
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 9:41 pm

I dunno, a lot of people seem to think, as the links I shared show, that the original target audience was for teens/young adults+

I think what happened here was a reversal of what happened with MLP.

A show that was originally intended for teens young adults ended up reaching a much younger audience.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 9:45 pm

@nerf-or-nothing wrote:
I already said in my first comment it was ok to post pictures.

Cool. I'm not saying "no pictures". I'm saying, as an admin, to please spoiler your pictures because you had a plethora of pictures. Thank you.

@nerf-or-nothing wrote:

Japanese Girl Group Ad Causes Controversy by NewsLook
This is a candy commercial that's controversial even in japan



Russian Roulette toy for kids, made around the same time as Sailor Moon. Caused a lot of problems. Just because they can make toys doesn't mean it's always the best idea, although I don't see a problem with Sailor Moon toys the way there is for a Russian roulette toy, it was a banned toy.

this just goes to show if they can sell it they will, regardless of aimed target audiences

Still differing cultures. You are right, there will be controversies even in Japan. But Sailor Moon wasn't a controversy. And I don't really see your point in this post...

Sailor Moon has toys. MLP has toys. Pokemon has toys. DBZ has toys. Naruto has toys. And I KNOW Naruto and DBZ have nudity, blood, swearing, etc. etc. But, these are for kids. The audience for all these shows I just listed, right now, is kids. ^^ just how it is. You don't have to like it or agree, but that is, indeed, the target audience for these shows/manga.

Honestly, I don't even know why it bothers you that Sailor Moon is for kids. MLP is absolutely whole heartedly for kids but you watch that, just like the rest of us. Are you bothered by that? Obviously not.



___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed


Star Seed

Title : The Hybrid Enigma
Posts : 1463
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 9:55 pm

Quote :
Still differing cultures. You are right, there will be controversies even in Japan. But Sailor Moon wasn't a controversy. And I don't really see your point in this post...

Sailor Moon has toys. MLP has toys. Pokemon has toys. DBZ has toys. Naruto has toys. And I KNOW Naruto and DBZ have nudity, blood, swearing, etc. etc. But, these are for kids. The audience for all these shows I just listed, right now, is kids. ^^ just how it is. You don't have to like it or agree, but that is, indeed, the target audience for these shows/manga.

Honestly, I don't even know why it bothers you that Sailor Moon is for kids. MLP is absolutely whole heartedly for kids but you watch that, just like the rest of us. Are you bothered by that? Obviously not.

Where are you getting that I'm bothered from? I'm debating and in no way have I been rude or anything, if you are getting upset because I don't agree with you then you don't have to comment about it if you find it upsetting. All I'm doing it sharing information and showing why my opinion differs, please don't take offense because I am not intentionally doing anything offense. If I am, tell me what I'm doing wrong because I honestly don't get it and I don't get why you think I'm offended.

Tenchi Muyo is an adult anime that wasn't even sent out over the air because of it's sexualized themes but they have kid toys.

Toys sell, it doesn't matter whether the toys are aimed at kids. They have toys for anything you can imagine for kids, even if the toys origins weren't for kids like Star wars, Jason toys and things like that. If people can market something for sale of course they'll do it. It's a money maker, that isn't what I made this post about. It's not ABOUT toys, it's about the series and when it was first publicized.

Kids also use toys that they shouldn't like xbox games kids play it all the time but there's an obvious warning on the label not for kids. They do it anyway. Most do. I am NOT saying anything is wrong with that, I am trying to just say that it was originally meant for kids, that DOES NOT MEAN I am not ok with kids watching it.

I'm also not trying to say anything is wrong with that and where did you get that I was upset MLP was aimed for kids and is being watched by adults? I'm not, please stop trying to make it seem as if I am.

Please don't get upset because my opinion differs, I hate it when people get upset just because my view is different. I'm not trying to argue I'm simply trying to debate.

Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 10:02 pm

Not angry XD I think this whole thing is actually silly. Based on my knowledge and based on knowledge of those that know Japanese culture better than most without being Japanese themselves and having copious amounts of knowledge on Sailor Moon, that Sailor Moon is for kids. That's all.



___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
sailor swifty
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Space Princess
Posts : 3195
Join date : 2012-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Arendelle


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 10:11 pm

I thought Sailor Moon in Japan had the age rating of 6-14 or something like that. and the Manga was a bit older rating.


___________________________

 
Back to top Go down
http://serenitysmoonpalace.com/palace/index.php http://sailor-swifty.tumblr.com/
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?
Posts : 5947
Join date : 2012-04-02
Age : 24
Location : Once Arizona, now Scotland


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 10:12 pm

@sailor swifty wrote:
I thought Sailor Moon in Japan had the age rating of 6-14 or something like that. and the Manga was a bit older rating.


Still a kids rating.

Technically if you want to get technical, I think it became an "all ages" sort of series (with still some heavy nods at kids as well as heavy nods at mature themes).


___________________________

Graphics thanks to NQS, Bubbles, Gemma, Mars, & Diana
Crystal Gem Universe
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 10:17 pm

Quote :


Tenchi Muyo is an adult anime that wasn't even sent out over the air because of it's sexualized themes but they have kid toys.

Toys sell, it doesn't matter whether the toys are aimed at kids. They have toys for anything you can imagine for kids, even if the toys origins weren't for kids like Star wars, Jason toys and things like that. If people can market something for sale of course they'll do it. It's a money maker, that isn't what I made this post about. It's not ABOUT toys, it's about the series and when it was first publicized.

Kids also use toys that they shouldn't like xbox games kids play it all the time but there's an obvious warning on the label not for kids. They do it anyway. Most do. I am NOT saying anything is wrong with that, I am trying to just say that it was originally meant for kids, that DOES NOT MEAN I am not ok with kids watching it.


I think you've forgotten that the kids those toys are targeted for are for the nerds who do major collecting. Kids grow up and want to have memories of their childhood. Or even just to have something to collect and sell later on ebay. (I didn't even read the rest of the thread, the whole star wars toys thing reminded me of my dad.)

I don't think it's a big deal if kids watch this stuff. You just have to gauge their maturity and be willing to discuss the things on the show. It's all about the kind of parent you are. KWIM?

edited to add: And by kids, I mean the adults are the big kids that this is targeted for. I can't begin to describe how much pokemon, sailor moon, inuyasha, and everything else stuff he collected as I was growing up. I wasn't even allowed to play with "my" Sailor Moon dolls.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Senior Member
Small Lady Emeritus


Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom
Posts : 20310
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 29
Location : Lafayette, LA


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 11:32 pm

Natasha, i think i'm going to end up being like that with my kids. D:

___________________________


Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Guest
Guest




PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   13th May 2013, 11:44 pm

Haha! Well, I hope you let your kids enjoy their things. Psychologically I couldn't even open up any of my sailor moon things. You know what I did to them?

Instead of making myself feel like I was upsetting my father by opening up my stuff when I turned 18 myself, I just took all those toys, rulers, rings, dolls, keychains, etc etc over to my neighbor's house who had two little girls and loved Sailor Moon.

I watched as they tore everything open with a smile on my face. I didn't get to enjoy that stuff as a kid, but the $400.00 my dad spent on all that is still being enjoyed by them now...

Back to top Go down
Sailor Cocoa
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director


Inner Senshi AdminMedia Director

Title : AKA Haine~ the official hardcore UsaxMamo fan
Posts : 3242
Join date : 2012-09-24
Age : 29
Location : The Echanted forest looking for my unicorn pet


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 10:15 am

Guys, did you forget that SM is a MAHOU SHOUJO? any mahou shoujo series is categorized as "child audience", even if it has that kind of content, because, to be honest, all mahou shoujo has that something, that you ask yourself "WHY IS THIS A KIDS SHOW!!?"

I've watched, A LOT of mahou shoujo over the years, and i noticed something, when you're a kid, YOU DON'T SEE THE "WTF, WHY THERE ARE 2 GUYS ALMOST KISSING?" why? because we're kids, we don't noticed that kind of stuffs until we're getting older and then we realized "omg!!! IS THIS WHAT I WAS WATCHING?" it happens even with songs we listen (true story).

I mean, SM is full of pretty colors when they henshin, i personally was like " look at those pretty colors!!! i wanna transform like that and have all those pretty colors as background! ", so you kind of ignore "this girl is naked" you're too focused on the pretty colors and "how cool it would be to something magical as this could happen to me", don't deny it, you all thought of that

All i'm saying, people discuss this because, they're OLD, and by the time they watched this, they were kids, and as i pointed out, we don't see all those stuffs, and that's when we ask ourselves the big question.

After Sakura CC, i think most mahou shoujo are less "sexual", but still have the "ok, this is wrong" thing, precure is a good example, it has less sexual, but there're some "wait, what? o_O".

I strongly believe, the manga is another story, i do think it was aimed to a more adult audience, but, every manga that turns popular and becomes an anime (specially mahou shoujo) they try to make it "suitable for kids" because that way they can sell more merchandise.



___________________________


 
Back to top Go down
http://queenmaruhi.tumblr.com/ http://eternalwitch.deviantart.com/
Solipsi Rai
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Title : (GC's Official) Makoto/Jupiter - primadonna's husband
Posts : 1527
Join date : 2013-02-21
Age : 36
Location : Palm Springs area Cal USA


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 10:48 am

For one thing, the idea of what's age appropriate in Japanese and American or western cultures for a "children's" cartoon differs widely. It's amazing any animation distributor like DIC in the 90s accepted Sailor Moon, but bowing down to our social sensibilities and parent media watchdog groups keeping an eye out of anything on children's entertainment they deemed age-inappopriate, some adjustments were made for Sailor Moon to been cut in large portions of many episodes (I heard a few never aired in the US, but it's obviously somewhere on the internet, if you know where to look).

Most of the original Sailor Moon episodes had fights, mild violence, physical contact, men hitting women, and scenes of character deaths. Now the main audience has grown up today, we could "handle" the subject matter and some scenes we couldn't watch in our younger ages. I thought some adults might not want to see that, then again the Sailor Moon fan base prefers episodes shown in its entirety without anything cut to have us miss something cool.

I'm also a fan of adult-themed animation shows: The Simpsons and Family Guy on prime-time, and South Park on cable with different ethical standards than network TV allows or permits. The cartoons are directed to adults, therefore will definitely exhibit scenes and dialogue not meant to be viewed or heard by a younger audience. Also they ended up in controversy sometimes, but remember in the US we have freedoms of speech and artistic expression with few limits, but TV networks by FCC guidelines self-regulate to not go "over the line" in devicing comedy material for their shows.

This isn't the case for Sailor Moon, as well for anime aimed at preteens or teenagers like DragonBall Z and Naruto which have aired before in the afternoons or Saturday mornings, when you know for sure children under the age of maturity will be watching. So what if these anime showed some PG-material, while Sailor Moon was repackaged to be "G-rated" in the 1990s (North) American airwaves, to be approved by parents of that culture.
Back to top Go down
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit
Posts : 2801
Join date : 2012-08-19
Age : 20
Location : In Mugen Academy


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 11:31 am

Watch the raws of Nakayoshi at Miss Dream.
See all the adds for toys and stuff.
It's obvious Sailor Moon's audience back then is now the one that are now the audience of Precure
As a grown up male, I have no shame to admit it: Sailor Moon, though it do have themes that appeals to a more mature audience, is more directed toward young girls: 8/12 years old.

___________________________



Siggie by Lust
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9845
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 26
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 11:55 am

Haine wrote:
Guys, did you forget that SM is a MAHOU SHOUJO? any mahou shoujo series is categorized as "child audience", even if it has that kind of content, because, to be honest, all mahou shoujo has that something, that you ask yourself "WHY IS THIS A KIDS SHOW!!?"

I've watched, A LOT of mahou shoujo over the years, and i noticed something, when you're a kid, YOU DON'T SEE THE "WTF, WHY THERE ARE 2 GUYS ALMOST KISSING?" why? because we're kids, we don't noticed that kind of stuffs until we're getting older and then we realized "omg!!! IS THIS WHAT I WAS WATCHING?" it happens even with songs we listen (true story).

I mean, SM is full of pretty colors when they henshin, i personally was like " look at those pretty colors!!! i wanna transform like that and have all those pretty colors as background! ", so you kind of ignore "this girl is naked" you're too focused on the pretty colors and "how cool it would be to something magical as this could happen to me", don't deny it, you all thought of that

All i'm saying, people discuss this because, they're OLD, and by the time they watched this, they were kids, and as i pointed out, we don't see all those stuffs, and that's when we ask ourselves the big question.

After Sakura CC, i think most mahou shoujo are less "sexual", but still have the "ok, this is wrong" thing, precure is a good example, it has less sexual, but there're some "wait, what? o_O".

I strongly believe, the manga is another story, i do think it was aimed to a more adult audience, but, every manga that turns popular and becomes an anime (specially mahou shoujo) they try to make it "suitable for kids" because that way they can sell more merchandise.



LOL Haine!!

American cartoons are like that too! Most 90s cartoons had hidden innuendos like the Animaicas, Red and Stempy, Rocko's Modern Life, and Spongebob Squarepants (back in its hey day). That's just to name a few. As kids we just laugh at them for no reason and now that we're older and we watch those shows we're like!! Oh, I see what you did there!

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Boromonokli
Pyramidal Crystal


Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Fallen Paladin
Posts : 546
Join date : 2013-02-05
Age : 23
Location : Wandering in the Falwen foothills.


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 12:03 pm

, we're at each other's throats again? Wink

Sailor Moon anime? 8-16. Just hope that they don't take it too seriously. The manga? 16+. No quarters given. It's got pretty gruesome deaths (I don't remember if it was Jadeite or Nephrite with a cute "melt" emote written to accompany his melting face...) and enough horrors to cause nightmares in some. Maybe CNSV 14+ if we are generous.

And since the horses were mentioned: 22+ male audience.

___________________________

Back to top Go down
http://monokli.oszto
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sailor Cocoa
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director


Inner Senshi AdminMedia Director

Title : AKA Haine~ the official hardcore UsaxMamo fan
Posts : 3242
Join date : 2012-09-24
Age : 29
Location : The Echanted forest looking for my unicorn pet


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 12:11 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
LOL Haine!!

American cartoons are like that too! Most 90s cartoons had hidden innuendos like the Animaicas, Red and Stempy, Rocko's Modern Life, and Spongebob Squarepants (back in its hey day). That's just to name a few. As kids we just laugh at them for no reason and now that we're older and we watch those shows we're like!! Oh, I see what you did there!

Ikr!! xD
the question here is, why do cartoonist do such things?, i mean, they know what are they doing, and eventually, we're gonna notice


___________________________


 
Back to top Go down
http://queenmaruhi.tumblr.com/ http://eternalwitch.deviantart.com/
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit
Posts : 2801
Join date : 2012-08-19
Age : 20
Location : In Mugen Academy


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 1:36 pm

@Boromonokli wrote:
, we're at each other's throats again? Wink

Sailor Moon anime? 8-16. Just hope that they don't take it too seriously. The manga? 16+. No quarters given. It's got pretty gruesome deaths (I don't remember if it was Jadeite or Nephrite with a cute "melt" emote written to accompany his melting face...) and enough horrors to cause nightmares in some. Maybe CNSV 14+ if we are generous.

And since the horses were mentioned: 22+ male audience.
You're being a bit extreme there xD" Japan has way higher standart than us for kids shows. That result in them being seen as more mature by western viewers.

But, hey, the deaths are like 3% of a chapter, so it's fine.
Though you're right on the gruesome deaths parts... Mistress 9 bursting out of Hotaru's body made me put the book down.

___________________________



Siggie by Lust
Back to top Go down
xx.elysium
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 60
Join date : 2013-04-07
Age : 25
Location : United States


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 2:32 pm

This is a pretty common debate and highly subjective, please forgive me for overlooking any one who has made any relevant comments to my post. I thought I'd share an essay I wrote about on this, although it doesn't attack and explain every single detail of what needs to be brought up, it's a very generalized argument. I read a lot of other written articles on this and I think the works I cited in my essay would give more insight to the idea of how cartoons in general often try to lure adults by sexual appeal, and the difference between cultures also plays a major role (I wish I had written more about this, but I didn't, sorry!). Here's the PDF file link (no need to download anything, it's hosted and shared online with Google Docs): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_m_KLFqe67wWlRXRWVXRWdWM1U/edit?usp=sharing

Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87167599@N03/sets/72157632042249796
mercury_viola_rhapsody
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Posts : 2124
Join date : 2013-05-11
Age : 16

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 2:37 pm

@xx.elysium wrote:
This is a pretty common debate and highly subjective, please forgive me for overlooking any one who has made any relevant comments to my post. I thought I'd share an essay I wrote about on this, although it doesn't attack and explain every single detail of what needs to be brought up, it's a very generalized argument. I read a lot of other written articles on this and I think the works I cited in my essay would give more insight to the idea of how cartoons in general often try to lure adults by sexual appeal, and the difference between cultures also plays a major role (I wish I had written more about this, but I didn't, sorry!). Here's the PDF file link (no need to download anything, it's hosted and shared online with Google Docs): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_m_KLFqe67wWlRXRWVXRWdWM1U/edit?usp=sharing


I can't read it...

___________________________

  
Back to top Go down
http://randomnessandfantasy.tumblr.com/
xx.elysium
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 60
Join date : 2013-04-07
Age : 25
Location : United States


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 3:04 pm

@mercury_viola_rhapsody wrote:
@xx.elysium wrote:
This is a pretty common debate and highly subjective, please forgive me for overlooking any one who has made any relevant comments to my post. I thought I'd share an essay I wrote about on this, although it doesn't attack and explain every single detail of what needs to be brought up, it's a very generalized argument. I read a lot of other written articles on this and I think the works I cited in my essay would give more insight to the idea of how cartoons in general often try to lure adults by sexual appeal, and the difference between cultures also plays a major role (I wish I had written more about this, but I didn't, sorry!). Here's the PDF file link (no need to download anything, it's hosted and shared online with Google Docs): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_m_KLFqe67wWlRXRWVXRWdWM1U/edit?usp=sharing


I can't read it...

AH! Sorry I forgot to change the privacy sending when I uploaded it. Does it work now? xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87167599@N03/sets/72157632042249796
NaoUranus
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official NaoUranus/myuteer
Posts : 3494
Join date : 2013-04-14
Age : 25
Location : Nao Takagi's House? yea yea I know I wish


PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 3:22 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:


LOL Haine!!

American cartoons are like that too! Most 90s cartoons had hidden innuendos like the Animaicas, Red and Stempy, Rocko's Modern Life, and Spongebob Squarepants (back in its hey day). That's just to name a few. As kids we just laugh at them for no reason and now that we're older and we watch those shows we're like!! Oh, I see what you did there!

Yami it's Ren and Stimpy. any and anyway She has a point here so many of the shows she's mentioned and more that were aimed at kids had so much worse than Sailor Moon ever could and yet they were aimed at kids. Than you have like Naruto and Dragon ball z and all of those that were originally on a children's network and came on hours before the actual adult block on the station. Cartoon Network until just recently showed Naruto in the Childrens block and it's just been recently that they brought Naruto onto the Adult swim block. Naruto had some aspects that were as far from being child appropriate as possible in the states like perhaps Naruto's Sexy Jutsu even with the clouds in from of anything my mother had a fit and my brother was not allowed to watch the show. Yu Yu Hakusho if I remember right was shown on adult swim but after a while was brought to the kids block and aired every Saturday night when Kids were watching TV. it was on pretty early. Sailor Moon was one of those shows that was on a 6 in the morning when the kids were all getting up and getting ready for school At least that's how it was when I was watching it and than we got it on cartoon network that after noon (even if cartoon network was a bit behind the other station I watched it on in the morning.

Than like everyone else has said There is a big difference between what is kid appropriate in Japan is not considered to Kid appropriate here in the states. so really it all depends on where your at on whats Appropriate and whats aimed at kids. and if you look at the musicals they can be quit a bit worse in some aspects and yet there are a ton of kids watching those as well.

___________________________



 Avatar and Sig by Princess Moon. Bumpers by Small Lady Thanks ^^ 
Back to top Go down
http://murabuchou.livejournal.com/
mercury_viola_rhapsody
Lotus Crystal


Lotus Crystal

Posts : 2124
Join date : 2013-05-11
Age : 16

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience   14th May 2013, 4:42 pm

@xx.elysium wrote:
@mercury_viola_rhapsody wrote:
@xx.elysium wrote:
This is a pretty common debate and highly subjective, please forgive me for overlooking any one who has made any relevant comments to my post. I thought I'd share an essay I wrote about on this, although it doesn't attack and explain every single detail of what needs to be brought up, it's a very generalized argument. I read a lot of other written articles on this and I think the works I cited in my essay would give more insight to the idea of how cartoons in general often try to lure adults by sexual appeal, and the difference between cultures also plays a major role (I wish I had written more about this, but I didn't, sorry!). Here's the PDF file link (no need to download anything, it's hosted and shared online with Google Docs): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_m_KLFqe67wWlRXRWVXRWdWM1U/edit?usp=sharing


I can't read it...

AH! Sorry I forgot to change the privacy sending when I uploaded it. Does it work now? xD

Yes Very Happy

___________________________

  
Back to top Go down
http://randomnessandfantasy.tumblr.com/
 

Debate: Sailor Moon target age audience

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Theories, Debates and Headcanons-