I hate to bring up an old thread, but I found the definite version of Mother 1. It's the Mother 1 - 25th anniversary edition hack, which was recently released this month. It's for the NES version of Mother 1.
* All the grinding and insanely steep difficulty increases (looking at you, Yuca Desert and Holy Lolly Mountains)? Gone. It's still a difficult game, especially early on. Ninten can still get knocked out by early game enemies. Thankfully, it's nowhere near as unforgiving as it was previously. (To be fair, the designers were short on time and couldn't test Holy Lolly Mountains properly)
* The graphics were dramatically improved, and the enemies now resemble their clay models as faithfully as possible, barring 8-bit limitations.
* A new translation from the original NES prototype that ties into the other two games. The town names go back to being named after holidays, after the original translator didn't like the names.
* NPCs are more helpful on where to go next.
* Most enemies have different music assigned, barring bosses, which still keep "Battle with a Dangerous Foe" as their leitmotif.
There's a lot more changes than what I listed. Those are some of the changes in this amazing modification.