View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sailor Crystal Winter
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Glass Mask / Garasu No Kamen   13th October 2013, 11:12 pm

I don't know if this series was ever translated into English (if not, it's a HUGE shame because so many people are missing out) but I saw this title popped up in Naoko Takeuchi's most recent interview and it reminded me of how amazing this series is. Admittedly, I'd only just read it for the first time a couple years ago because I missed it during my actual childhood, but this series has been going on for like twenty years and still isn't finished. And everyone is dying to find out how it ends. For a few years Suzue Miuchi stopped writing it, but it seems it has been continued again and now hopefully we're going to see a proper ending.

From Wikipedia:

Quote :
Glass Mask is a saga depicting the devotion of Maya Kitajima to the performing arts as a professional stage actress, and her competition with her skilled rival, Ayumi Himekawa. They are both pursuing the degree of acting proficiency and career success required to play the lead role of the legendary stage play "The Crimson Goddess" ("Kurenai Tennyo"). Maya is not particularly beautiful or smart in school, but her passion for acting is all-consuming, to the point where she literally puts her own life on the line several times for the sake of a role. Always told by her mother that she was good for nothing, Maya wants to prove to the world and to herself that she has worth. On the other hand, everyone expects the gifted and multi-talented Ayumi to succeed, so she is determined to reach the top on her own without the help of her prestigious parents.
Anyway, if you love the world of theater, this series is a must-read. It's addictive and just... I fell in love with it so completely I marathoned the entire 40+ volumes in a couple of days and spent another week being miserable at not being able to continue.

I think there are some English scanlations online, and there was a short anime as well which I haven't seen. But if you can, read the books. They are amazing. I mean, I'm even rooting for the heroine AND her rival equally, that's how great the character development is.

♥
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/whitemoonlady http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com http://aftersix.livejournal.com
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit

PostSubject: Re: Glass Mask / Garasu No Kamen   14th October 2013, 3:29 am

I picked this serie as our read in the Shojo club a tiny while ago ^^ I remember Tsuki loved it so much she read all 29 translated volumes.
So did I. Even though romance shoujo are something I'm not much into, this serie really hooked me.

To be honest, I first heard of it in a parody review by a french podcaster. he was talking about the horrible french dub of the already horrible anime adaptation. I decided to watch the 2004 anime and read the original manga and discovered I really really really loved the art style of old school shoujo series.

(Also the scanlation ends on a cliffhanger URGH)

My favourite characters are Rei and Yuu. And Maya of course. She's really a great female character. Her rivalry with Ayumi is really realist (though a bit too dramatized? After all, it IS a manga.)
I used to sorta dislike Miss Tsukikage but the more we get to know her the more I sympathize with her. I wish she gave Maya her damn role quickly though. SHE IS ALREADY TALENTED ENOUGH.
(I couldn't care less about Yuu's crush on Maya though...)

Though I'm not that fond of Mister Purple Rose Dude From Undine.

Siggie by Lust
Back to top Go down
Sailor Crystal Winter
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: Glass Mask / Garasu No Kamen   14th October 2013, 4:03 am

Oops. I probably should've checked there before I started this thread xD

Aww, I've already read further than the last one translated and now I'm paranoid I'm going to start dropping spoilers ._.

I didn't start out liking Ayumi, but after seeing just how hard she works, and how Maya sometimes beats her so effortlessly out of pure raw talent, I'm starting to sympathize with her. I want her to win the final role as much as Maya, which I expect is Miuchi's problem and might be why the ending keeps being postponed. I figured the most obvious option would be just to double cast the role, but then that may also feel like cheating the readers out of this whole epic setup.

I think this provides for an interesting debate, though. Who should be on top? People who have talent or people who work hard for it? I suppose you could argue Maya has talent AND works hard for it, but we can't blame Ayumi for not being born as talented if we believe talent is something innate and can't be learned. Some people's just got it, aka simply luckier than others.

I really feel bad for Sakurakoji. I am ashamed to say I am a Maya/Masumi shipper :bunnykonataeye

♥
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/whitemoonlady http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com http://aftersix.livejournal.com
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit

PostSubject: Re: Glass Mask / Garasu No Kamen   14th October 2013, 11:18 am

Eheh, even though I don't quite like Yuu when he crushes on Maya, I admit I ship him with Maya more than with Masumi.
I wonder how the serie is going to end... I think Chigusa is going to pass away and her testament will declare Maya as the only one allowed to ever perform the Crimson Goddess. Maya will finally get to read the entire story herself and will decide she won't play it. Maybe she spent her whole life working for a role she know she won't enjoy performing? (I know this would be completely out of character for Maya but I kind of like this scenario) She'll most likely give the rights to Ayumi before making the play a public part of theatre culture.

.... aaaand this won't happen because Maya respect Tsukikage too much to simplu do that.

Siggie by Lust
Back to top Go down
Satsuki
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Glass Mask / Garasu No Kamen   15th October 2013, 6:52 pm

My most favorite shoujo manga. I find it more shame though when they do not appreciate it enough and newer readers prefer to pick Skip Beat over this. (When it is also a long series but still)

It deserves more attention but people are put off due to the old-school artwork.
Back to top Go down

Glass Mask / Garasu No Kamen

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Other Anime and Manga-