View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Cardcaptor Sakura   27th September 2011, 7:59 pm

One my favorite magical girl series is Cardcaptor Sakura. The reason why I love it so much because it's not your typical magical girl series. Sure the main character has magical powers and has to collect bunch of cards to prevent the world from going to into complete chaos, but there's more to the series. I love how the show focuses on the relationship of the characters.

Be warn spoilers:
CLAMP put many different types of love in the series:
1) Sakura's crush on her bother's best friend, Yukito. I love reading comments on youtube where people freak out about that because he's so much older than Sakura. I don't see what's the big deal because it's common for a brother's little sister to have a crush on their best friend vice versa for the little brother having a crush on his big sister's best friend.
2) Age differences/ student in love with their teacher
3) cousins
4) Hetro and Homo relationships
5) friendship

I love how well CLAMP developed all the pairings in this series. The anime did as well, but they're were more developed in the manga. Usually you don't get that in magical girl series because most of the time only the main character gets to fall in love and ends up with the boy.

I also love how Sakura isn't your typical magical girl main character. For example she's athletic in most magical series the main character is really clumsy. Though she does has her moments XD. Also she may be dense, but she's not ditzy.

Another reason why like this show is the clothes! I love the clothes in this series. I'm rewatching the anime right now and I want Sakura's clothes! Her dresses are so cute! I also love how she has different outfits for capturing/changing cards.

One more thing. I love ClAMP's artwork. It's so beautiful!

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Previously: Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 8:24 am

Blegh. Internet ate my post in an attack of stupid. T_T

But I will say that I love this series. I first saw it in dub (why did they have to remove my fluffies~? T_T), but I do plan on seeing it in the original sub soon. Sometimes I have to question Tomoyo's sense of "age appropriate" for Sakura with some of those outfits, though. ^_^"

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to see an unusual expansion in the magical girl genre, though.

Signature by Sailor Mercury, AKA Sailor Celestial/Rory. *Huggles* <3
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 9:23 am

Quote :
Sometimes I have to question Tomoyo's sense of "age appropriate" for Sakura with some of those outfits, though

This is true. Sometimes I think she's a little too obsessed with Sakura.

Quote :
But I will say that I love this series. I first saw it in dub (why did
they have to remove my fluffies~? T_T), but I do plan on seeing it in
the original sub soon

You need to watch it! My friend and I loved Cardcaptors and when she bought the uncut DVD (my first sub anime) we were amazed about how much better it was in Japanese ten English.

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 9:25 am

Yeah. CLAMP loves tones of incest, it seems.

I plan to! I've only seen to episode ten in english sub, but I'm going to start over again since that was months ago.

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 9:35 am

Luckily there are many people who uploaded it on youtube. I guess the series is so old that it doesn't matter anymore.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 9:37 am

Yeah, unless someone decides to re-release it again, XD. But it is so old that the copyright expired.

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 9:40 am

I know recently it was remastered for blu-ray. I guy uploaded it last year and I watch the whole series in blu-ray. The only difference is that all their eyes are brighter especially Sakura's.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 9:44 am

Guess it wouldn't be worth the money to buy it, XD. (Not that I have blu-ray, but I've heard the quality was supposed to be better.)

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 9:55 am

Yes and No. It depends on the flim that was use. Cardcaptor Sakura was made before blu-ray and HD was around so the flim that was use won't make a difference. Now, there some things that can be remaster to blu-ray and you'll see a difference. Like I said it depends on the flim that was use.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Nina
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 10:57 am

I love Cardcaptor Sakura! I love the characters, the music, the outfits (Sailor Moon needed that fashion sense), the relationships and the story overall. It's close to the manga and I don't really mind what's different (e.g. Meilin, etc). Actually, I'm glad the realationship between the teacher and the 10 year old student got cut. That was a bit too creepy for my taste. CCS makes me feel good. I don't know why but it has something that makes you feel happy when you watch it. The two movies are also very good.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 12:41 pm

Quote :
It's close to the manga and I don't really mind what's different (e.g.
Meilin, etc). Actually, I'm glad the realationship between the teacher
and the 10 year old student got cut. That was a bit too creepy for my
taste

Yeah, I love both the manga and the anime equally. I love deep the relationships are in the manga while in the anime there are more cards and there's Meilin! In the manga Li lived by himself which I thought that was odd seeing how he was 10 years old. As for the teacher thing yeah, it is kind of creepy. Seeing how he was probably in his mid 20s.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Nina
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 4:24 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
In the manga Li lived by himself which I thought that was odd seeing how he was 10 years old.
Yes and in the anime we have Wei, the old man. He's a cool character.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   28th September 2011, 6:28 pm

I like Wei! I wish he was in the manga. The same goes for Meilin!

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Nina
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   29th September 2011, 2:53 am

Yamichan16 wrote:
I like Wei! I wish he was in the manga. The same goes for Meilin!
Yes, poor Li needed some family.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   29th September 2011, 9:00 am

I know, right? That's why I love the first movie because you get to meet his mother and 4 sisters. I love how they go crazy over Yukito and Touya.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   29th September 2011, 1:23 pm

I love this series! I unfortunately got stuck watching the dub version originally and have never finished watched the sub much less getting all the manga either! I pretty much know what happens in the story, so I'm not too worried about spoilers, but gosh darnit I need to watch/read it all eventually! ><

But I LOVE LOVE LOVE CLAMP. Srsly. I think they are one of the best shoujo manga-kas out there next to Naoko. I love all of their clothing designs, especially in CCS. I love how sweet CCS is even with all of the great variety of relationships going on. Its just such an awesome mahou shoujo series. <3

Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
SailorStarWind
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : DEAD ACCOUNT left anime fandom to study

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   29th September 2011, 6:37 pm

I consider CCS to be fluff for paedophiles. Sorry, but I do. The thing with the teacher is especially creepy... If I found out that my 3rd-grade daughter's teacher was in a relationship with her, I wouldn't bother with calling the police: I'd kill him.

I only liked the series before I was old enough to realize how royally *ed up it was...

DEAD ACCOUNT. Left anime fandom to study. It was fun, guys. Smile Hope things go well for you.
Back to top Go down
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   29th September 2011, 6:44 pm

I will admit that I'm very leery of that pairing with Ruka and the teacher, but I do like the relationship fundamentals of the rest of the characters. Sure, it's CLAMP, things are bound to be a little wacky. With them, you have to take some weirdness in stride.

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   29th September 2011, 6:59 pm

You just have to look past that relationship. It's only hinted in the anime aka she had a crush on him.I remember watching a full house episode and Stephenie had a crush on her 5th grade teacher. In the manga it goes a little bit further, but it's not like it's the main pairing.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
SailorStarWind
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : DEAD ACCOUNT left anime fandom to study

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   29th September 2011, 7:07 pm

I've read the manga version, though. HE PROPOSED TO HER. With a *ING RING. After accepting a teddy bear as a gift... Eeeh, it's so screwed up... >_> And there's no way I can look past it- I've known way too many victims. CAN'T LOOK PAST IT. Sorry...

DEAD ACCOUNT. Left anime fandom to study. It was fun, guys. Smile Hope things go well for you.
Back to top Go down
PrincessOtaku
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   15th October 2011, 8:56 pm

I love CCS. I've only seen a few episodes of the sub, read pieces of the manga, and seen my sister mess around with some stuff regarding it, but all that was more than enough to get me hooked <3 The relationships was definitely one thing I adored about it (from what I got), they were well developed! I look forward to completing the series myself, so I can contribute better to this Smile
Back to top Go down
http://haysheh.tumblr.com
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Illustrator of Chibiness

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   17th October 2011, 1:38 pm

I was first introduced to Cardcaptor Sakura by my good friends who I dubbed "The TWins" because they were. They knew I had a love for Sailor Moon (as they were borrowing my sub VHS tapes that I bought from VKLL) so in exchange they let me borrowed their fansubbed tapes of Cardcaptor Sakura before it was ever released to the States.

I absolutely loved the anime as I adored how well Mad House transitioned CLAMP's style into the anime from the regular style to the chibi style. It was litterally a perfect bond between the manga style and the anime style. Once again, a animation company managed to translate a mangaka's style to anime extremely well.

When I started to read the manga, I adored it just like the anime. I will probably always adore the older CLAMP style verses their newer style (although I still read their newer manga releases). And as I have said before, I am a sucker for design XD When I learned that Mokona Apappa created all the designs for Sakura's outfits for both the manga and the anime, I was thrilled as I really do look up to Mokona Apappa as one of my favorite artists.

It was just sad though that when this was officially released to the States, I could not collect it all as Genenon took over (I refuse to buy anything with Genenon's name on it although I was close with the CCS boxsets) and then of course, Genenon folded and no one else took up the license for CCS.

This is one anime that I hope soon someone would bring back to America and hopefully on Blu-ray. So I shall keep my fingers crossed.

Deviantart * Facebook* Siggy made by Neo Queen Serenity
Back to top Go down
http://paprika-studios.deviantart.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   17th October 2011, 11:27 pm

It would be nice! I forget who took up the manga, but i saw new omnibus releases of the CCS manga...i've been tempted to buy them.

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   18th October 2011, 6:01 am

Tokyo Pop did. I have all the vols for the Sakura cards arch. I never read all the volumes for the Clow arch. I found a scanlation for the Clow arch, butt I don't like the translation. Who ever translated didn't do a good job.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   18th October 2011, 6:02 am

@Brit-chan wrote:
It would be nice! I forget who took up the manga, but i saw new omnibus releases of the CCS manga...i've been tempted to buy them.

CCS was taken up by Tokyopop - I own all the manga and just recently my husband got hooked to it as he discovered I owned the manga. Since Tokyopop is no longer existant in the States, I'm actually beginning to wonder if Tokyopop still has the license to CCS in America.

For CCS though, Tokyopop's translation was okay but maybe not completely accurate at times (if I am recalling correctly). The conversation is a very easy read and not at all difficult to follow.

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   18th October 2011, 8:07 am

I didn't mind Tokypop's translation. The scanlations I found the conversations are sometime hard to follow.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   18th October 2011, 8:12 am

Yamichan16 wrote:
I didn't mind Tokypop's translation. The scanlations I found the conversations are sometime hard to follow.

I remember those days - hehe ^^; I LOVED it though when Tokyopop reissued(that might not be the right word) the manga to where it was "flipped" with new coverart. That honestly made my day but made my wallet very unhappy.

Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   18th October 2011, 12:40 pm

Are you sure? Because now Tokyopop is essentially dead I could have sworn someone else got the rights and is releasing it. But i can't remember what i saw in the bookstore and it seems you know better than me anyway. XD

Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   18th October 2011, 12:46 pm

@Brit-chan wrote:
Are you sure? Because now Tokyopop is essentially dead I could have sworn someone else got the rights and is releasing it. But i can't remember what i saw in the bookstore and it seems you know better than me anyway. XD

I decided to check up on it because I am curious myself since like you said, Tokyopop is essential dead. Found out that Dark Horse Manga picked up the rights to Cardcaptor Sakura back in 2010. So that's probably the one you saw in the store ^^

Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Cardcaptor Sakura   18th October 2011, 12:48 pm

Aaah ok. XD I was wondering. Tokyopop i think still has their online site, but they pretty much are letting all of their licenses expire and aren't doing much anymore. Its sad to see them go. It makes me think of another good topic for discussion.

*cough* Anyway. CCS. Its cute. I love it. Yes. I need to read all the manga and finish watching the series. I actually watched the movies before I even finished the series. XD

Back to top Go down

Cardcaptor Sakura

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Other Anime and Manga-