Share | 

Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Adelaide
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Unashamed Sailor Moon Crystal lover // Formerly Saturn Skyy - until I found out that it was the name of a car

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   14th September 2014, 7:26 am

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm actually thrilled with the fact that Crystal is basically  a carbon copy of the manga.  For years I wished that the original anime followed the manga storyline so Crystal has been a dream come true!

Don't get me wrong, at times I an disappointed by the wonky animation but I have been so happy with the content that I can look past it. My biggest pet peeve so far is just the fact that they are clearly doing senshi/shittenou which I have neverbeen a big fan of

Siggies by: Lust, Mi Mako Chan, Brandi, NQS, Uranus, Sailor Candy, Mary, SailorKittyEleon and me! (Hopefully I didn't forget one!)
GC's Official Setsuna 
Back to top Go down
http://dianathemoonfairy.tumblr.com
Sailor Jinglebell
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Relations Director

Inner Senshi Admin  Member Relations Director

Title : *~Jupes | Jupi~*

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   14th September 2014, 2:06 pm

I agree with you on the anime content following the manga storyline. I'm really interested to see where this goes and how strictly it conforms.

I'm actually really excited about the senshi & shittenou! It was never explored at all in the original so I can't wait to see more in the remake!

Back to top Go down
SayakaSakura
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Puella Magi|Alicorn Princess (also Demande's official fangirl <3)

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   14th September 2014, 3:36 pm

@Sailor Comet wrote:
Everyone has pretty much summed up how I feel about the upcoming news of the Black Moon arc

I have a feeling Demande is gonna make me melt into a puddle in Crystal's style uhhhggg Mamo is proof enough of that. Only the power of the Moon can save my computer screen from my face rubbing against it when that episode premiers. / =w= \

My two cents. <3

Same here.

Signatures made by Artemis,mangaka-chan,Radicaledward124,Marianne, Lust,,Plex-ly and other GC Members
                                                                             Formerly SailorKittyElyon
Back to top Go down
http://caramelstarstriker.tumblr.com/ http://sailorcerise.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_llIfTH6pgwTxd68vKRzPw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   14th September 2014, 4:45 pm

I hope that Crystal will expand on the Ayakashi Sisters' roles like they've been doing with the Shittenou.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Stardancer
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Magic of the Stars

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   21st September 2014, 5:50 pm

Does anyone else notice that Rei seems really nice to Usagi in this series? It just seems weird that they haven't had an argument since the show started.

Any ava's/sigs/bumpers used are made by: PallasMercury, Sailor Mercury, NQS, Lust, Mystery, HikariDemand, Brandi, Small Lady,
Mystery, Haine, Batgirl, Artemis, Sailor Saturn, NaoUranus, Aztnara, Starchild, Yukine, Celest, Sailor Venus.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Lily
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   21st September 2014, 6:51 pm

@Sailor Stardancer wrote:
Does anyone else notice that Rei seems really nice to Usagi in this series? It just seems weird that they haven't had an argument since the show started.
I remember that when

Spoiler:

I do remember a little bit of tension when Rei said that Usagi's intelligence level dissapears with her transformation.

Bumbers made by Neo Queen Serenity, Avi and Siggy by Sailor Mercury
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   21st September 2014, 7:06 pm

Rei's and Usagi's fighting was only in the old anime.

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Ninjin-chan
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : Carro-chan

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   22nd September 2014, 8:58 am

I mostly agree with everyone here, Sailor moon crystal is a disappointment.

the fast paced manga does not translate well into an anime if they are gonna go frame by frame. we have almost zero character development, and if they continue like this all the characters are just gonna end up real flat =/
I'm interested by the senshi/shittenou idea. But if they keep them just so the senshi can have boyfriends how are that gonna work after the arc is over? I think them being in there "stone-form" helping mamoru is really wonderful and intresting. I dont want them to cut that out =P

As far as the animation goes it's awful in some parts. when i heard that a new sailor moon was coming i got so exited because i sooooo wanted to see what they could do with such a visually intresting and beautiful concept as sailor moon with todays far superior animation. but so far it just looks like they diden't even bother..
The CGI looks rather out of place with it's different image update, and it all just looks rather plastic to me =/
I know Toei uses CGI in many other shows. but in the end it just made me dislike the tranformations thus far =/
Also the girls are so immobile compared to the previous anime. they often dont even change their facial expression that much and there's an overall a lack of movement. I want more body language!

about the fact that they will shove both dark kingdom and blackmoon into one season, that honestly just made me SAD. because i had hopes for more fleshing out the characters (maybe some side-stories) and lots more silver millenium! but obviously Toei chose to go with bare minimum.

On the upside, the voice cast is better than I expected so far, the music is good and they used to controlroom! (even though it looks more like an alternate dimension room then a room beneath the arcade)

I wanted to LOVE crystal but they wont let me :C

Back to top Go down
http://purinsesuusagi.tumblr.com http://asveca.deviantart.com
Sailor Leona
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   22nd September 2014, 12:29 pm

@Sailor Comet wrote:
Everyone has pretty much summed up how I feel about the upcoming news of the Black Moon arc

I have a feeling Demande is gonna make me melt into a puddle in Crystal's style uhhhggg Mamo is proof enough of that. Only the power of the Moon can save my computer screen from my face rubbing against it when that episode premiers. / =w= \

My two cents. <3
I kind of feel like this about  .  She's my absolute fave in the series and I am going to squee like an idiot if/when she appears in Crystal.
Back to top Go down
RainbowHurricane
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Sailor of all that is RAINBOW!

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   22nd September 2014, 12:43 pm

I was definitely a hater when Crystal first came out but I'm really liking where the storyline is going. I also like how the powers are being shown. The senshi actually seem to be a real threat when they are fighting, as opposed to the original anime, when the attacks looked a lot more posed and pretty. Yes the animation is a bit wonky at times but it seems they are trying to improve things with each episode. They do need to work on the facial expressions but it is trying to be faithful to the manga, which was a bit more serious in tone. I'm still forward to the rest of the season so yay!
Back to top Go down
Fire
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Teo. The official GC Haruka >:)

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   25th September 2014, 11:03 am

Crystal is clearly not what I expected, but I'm not sure "disappointed" is the word I'd use. The thing is, when I first heard we're getting 26 episodes I was sure those would only be for the Dark Kingdom arc. Even when the fan theories started coming out, I still believed they were crazy and looking too much into things. That eyecatch I'm still not sure is meant to be Neo-Queen Serenity instead of Princess Serenity (she has the Moon Kingdom in the background and no crown); and the Blu-Ray bonus trinkets are just that: trinkets. So far we've been getting merchandise for all seasons except Stars (and even Stars I think will be getting clear files or notebooks with the Starlights, if I remember correctly). Anyway, point is, I didn't think the 2-arc people really had that strong a case. So I was unpleasantly surprised when it became clear, through the mook translations, that season 1 will be containing two arcs. I wanted things to be extended on, not animated panel by panel. And I wasn't worried about the manga being followed arc by arc because I was sure Toei was just waiting for most of the cast to show up on-screen before extending the story. So I assumed that Crystal would break away from the manga somewhere after acts 7-8. 

But oh well... At least we're getting SOMETHING.

The anime itself is very nice, and the tone is much closer to what I wish the '90s anime had been. The "Monster of the Day" format is not as obvious, and so the show itself seems less formulaic and cliche. I also really appreciate that Usagi, while still being silly, is not a parody of herself any more. I did like the "humor" in the old anime, don't get me wrong, but I wanted Crystal to be a bit more serious / realistic in tone. And it is... The music also really fits my tastes: choirs and rock-ish backgrounds? Oh yes, PLEASE! Perfect!

I love the colors, I love the music, I love the backgrounds... And I've even gotten used to the character designs. The only thing annoying about the character designs is that even the animators are having a hard time drawing that way. In fact I have to wonder what's in those people's heads when they misplace eyes on the characters' faces and draw hands the length of one's whole arm. I know they're correcting them for the DVDs but nobody can deny that some of the studios working on the anime are doing a very rushed job. Episode 3 animators, I'm looking at you! And then you have the other extreme: episodes like 4 and 5, which are almost flawless in my opinion. I know some find fault with the Masquerade episode, but I think there are some wonderful frames in that episode - and not only that, but if I was having a fangirl moment on this side of the screen, something tells me Usagi herself would've died watching it.

I'm not a big fan of the 3D, especially Usagi's transformation. Mercury and Mars have cool transformations but Usagi's is just... bleh. Oh and I really like the "live" attacks. They look both menacing (Mars) and beautiful (Jupiter). I guess that, when your cast will use these attacks so few times in the course of one arc, you're more inclined to give up on the stock footage. And a big yay to that!

As far as writing goes, I don't have much of a problem. I like what they're doing to the Shitennou, I like that Usagi seems to be starting to change and acknowledge her responsibilities early on (her dialogue in the latest episode)... and I gotta love the fact that Rei is not horrible to Usagi like she was in the 90s (and also yay to keeping her manga mistrust in men intact!). But then there are "huh" moments every now and then. Like what happened in episode 6: TK had previously come to Usagi's window to drag her to Jupiter, then a few days later he spoke about his lack of powers to Usagi, and even she said she doesn't have elemental powers like the other girls... and then the very next moment she thinks she can't transform in front of TK. It was a small blurb but I hope there won't be any such mistakes in later episodes. 

I'm really excited to see the Silver Millennium episode(s) and how they're gonna handle the finale. I hope it doesn't come off as anti-climactic in the anime, because the manga really has the groundwork laid out properly for Toei to do a good job.

So... yeah. Basically I am aware that Crystal is not flawless and there is indeed some stuff that I wish it hadn't done (two arcs in one season) but all in all I am really enjoying it and I think it does a good job at capturing the atmosphere of the manga. Do I wish we had time for more character development and development on the Silver Millennium story? Of course I do. But I also think Crystal is at least good at capturing the ESSENCE of Sailor Moon - after you watch this you can go and watch the 90s anime and PGSM and the musicals if you wanna really squeeze all the plot and character details out of the franchise Smile
Back to top Go down
http://society6.com/teohoble http://teo-hoble.tumblr.com/ http://teo-hoble.deviantart.com/
Reito Herena
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : ╣Writer, Veterinarian, Graphics Designer, Starbucks lover; Jurietto Herena!

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   29th September 2014, 11:03 pm

Saturn Skyy wrote:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm actually thrilled with the fact that Crystal is basically  a carbon copy of the manga.  For years I wished that the original anime followed the manga storyline so Crystal has been a dream come true!

Don't get me wrong, at times I an disappointed by the wonky animation but I have been so happy with the content that I can look past it. My biggest pet peeve so far is just the fact that they are clearly doing senshi/shittenou which I have neverbeen a big fan of

I'm with you minus the last part about the Shittenou. They (along with the Witches 5 in the Infinity Arc) are my other favourite villain ensemble. Though yeah, some of the animation is a little off but I'm enjoying Crystal. I have to be in one of the other minority that will enjoy SM in any way, shape or form. I was only a pint when the 90's anime came around, and as a matter of fact it was the FIRST cartoon show I've ever caught in North America after my shift abroad seas. =D 

If they do stay even seventy-five percent close to the manga, then I couldn't be anymore elated. 

This ol' Moonie is not disappointed. Long live SM! =3

╣Avi & Signature both done by me, Mentee Bumper Sticker provided by my mentor, Miss Moon Rose ♥
Previously: Eidolon :3
Back to top Go down
http://sevenwonders-of-harriethayes.tumblr.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX4Tv0Jtj_Qv_M8c9-zPuiw
Adelaide
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Unashamed Sailor Moon Crystal lover // Formerly Saturn Skyy - until I found out that it was the name of a car

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   30th September 2014, 10:42 am

I like the shitenou, and I'm happy that they are gonna have a bigger role, I juat think pairing each of them with the senshi is a bit too convenient to me. But I know it's a very popular pairing and if it's done well then maybe I will change my mind

Siggies by: Lust, Mi Mako Chan, Brandi, NQS, Uranus, Sailor Candy, Mary, SailorKittyEleon and me! (Hopefully I didn't forget one!)
GC's Official Setsuna 

Last edited by Saturn Skyy on 6th October 2014, 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sailor Leona
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   4th October 2014, 3:29 am

WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT TWO WEEKS FOR THE NEXT EPISODE!  *flops on the floor and pouts*

With life-long pal, the Friendly Yeti.
Back to top Go down
SayakaSakura
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Puella Magi|Alicorn Princess (also Demande's official fangirl <3)

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   4th October 2014, 5:19 am

It was a pretty good episode,for a Tuxedo Mask ep.AND SAILOR VENUS.YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signatures made by Artemis,mangaka-chan,Radicaledward124,Marianne, Lust,,Plex-ly and other GC Members
                                                                             Formerly SailorKittyElyon
Back to top Go down
http://caramelstarstriker.tumblr.com/ http://sailorcerise.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_llIfTH6pgwTxd68vKRzPw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sailor Marshmallow
Inner Senshi Admin
Administrative Director

Inner Senshi Admin   Administrative Director

Title : Wonder. Power. Courage.

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 10:47 am

I know some people wanted examples of ONA that has decent animation compared to Crystal so I suggest you read this post. Overall it's a good read.

The wolf-sister to Diana. ♥ The Marsmellow: very crispy, much burnt.
Back to top Go down
http://tifa.co.vu/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 11:40 am

Very good read indeed! Makes prefect sense to me. Besides budget shouldn't make a difference in the quality. There are animated movies made with low budgets that look beautiful and there are animated movies that look terrible with a big budget.

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 3:25 pm

I suspect the main reason for Crystal's flaws is because the animation is being done overseas.   When the animation staff is imported, the quality is always worse than if the animation was done in-house.  You see this all the time when anime series hires Korean studios to work on their shows and even when American studios hires foreign studios to work on their titles.  This is why there is so much concern about Ghibli possibly deciding to start importing their animation staff because some people are worried about a lower drop in animation quality if they stop doing their work in-house.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 3:38 pm

Avatar the Last Airbender and Korra had foreign studios made their shows and the quality is great. Yes they shows aren't by a weekly base, but they still could have turned out to look like crap.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 4:20 pm

But there are other titles that are done outsourced that do look lower in quality.  A lot of those direct to video Disney movies were animated by Korean studios and there's an obvious drop in quality in their animation from the movies done in house by Disney.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 4:37 pm

Yes I am aware of that. I'm just pointing out there are good out source works.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Adelaide
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 7:49 pm

Because I'm not paying to watch it, I'm not terribly upset about quality issues. But I agree with the post Yuni linked. People are watching regardless so they are going to do the minimum that they have to.

GC's Official Setsuna 
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 8:22 pm

Yeah even though I've been mostly disappointed, Ive still been watching because its Sailor Moon. Though, I wonder how long they will be able to ride on the nostalgia/"its sailor moon" train. I think they are aiming at a hard to grasp demographic (20-30 year olds). Though apparently the views (not counting international views, just japanese), has had a increasing drop since the first episode. I think if it had grasped the audience better in those first few eps, it would have more views, but even if it starts to get better, i don't think they can get back those lost viewers.

Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 8:29 pm

At the end of the day it comes down to the storytelling. You can look past the quality (at least most people can), but if the storytelling isn't up to par then you will lose viewers. In the beginning of Crystal they were really just doing panel by panel. That probably didn't sit well with most people. I mean Naoko said this was her chance to flesh out her story, but she really hasn't. At least in my eyes. Then again I really don't know how involved she is with this project. 

I'm just watching this to see my boys and V.

Magical Girl Cafe  
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 8:41 pm

Has anyone else seen the first episode of Toei's new anime series, World Trigger?  It's actually a televised weekly anime series based on a popular manga and it's airing weekly in Japan and it already has the same kinds of animation problems Sailor Moon Crystal has.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 8:43 pm

I seriously doubt Naoko has any input in this. Not as much as many fans seem to think she does.  I don't remember ever seeing her say anything about it. I just remember the director in interviews saying it would be truer to the manga and original story.

And Neon Genesis, can't say that I have! (I don't actually watch a lot of anime xD)

Avie by Marsiepan|| Eternal Knight's Myufu <3

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Sailor Crystal Winter
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 9:04 pm

Well I know that she helped pick out the name (Sailor Moon Crystal) and/or approved it as well as the seiyuu (I think?) but I don't know whether she's just involved in the initial decisions or continually consult for the rest of the series. She is at least more involved with this than the old anime I guess.

♥
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/whitemoonlady http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com http://aftersix.livejournal.com
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   5th October 2014, 9:10 pm

Small Lady wrote:
I seriously doubt Naoko has any input in this. Not as much as many fans seem to think she does.  I don't remember ever seeing her say anything about it. I just remember the director in interviews saying it would be truer to the manga and original story.

And Neon Genesis, can't say that I have! (I don't actually watch a lot of anime xD)
World Trigger has the weekly televised release schedule Sailor Moon fans wanted for Crystal and World Trigger is a currently popular manga in Japan but it has all the same animation errors Crystal has, like awkward facial designs, static backgrounds etc.  If anything, World Trigger looks worse since at least Crystal seems to have some actual movement going on in the backgrounds.
Back to top Go down
Bunny Doll
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : うさぎ✩°。⋆⸜(ू˙꒳ ˙ )

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   6th October 2014, 8:33 am

I really love Crystal so far and I continued to be impressed by it! All installments of Sailor Moon are their own thing and are hard to stack up against each other for me, but Crystal follows the manga so loyally while still having its own charm. (o* *o) I also love how tough and strong the senshi are in Crystal. And Usagi and Mamo's romance is being played really well so far. ah basically I just really enjoy it!

Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/bunydoll http://bunydoll.tumblr.com http://bunydoll.blogspot.com
Crystal
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)   13th October 2014, 3:14 am

Toei fightscene 2014  

Ufotable fightscene 2014

nuff said

Back to top Go down
http://goldenwitchmami.tumblr.com/

Crystal So Far (Spoiler Warning)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Sailor Moon Crystal (2014)-