Ranma 1/2 and other classics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flower Hurricane
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : Mako's BFF, Haruka's baby sister, and Hotaru's big sis

PostSubject: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   11th September 2014, 5:44 pm

I just began watching Ranma 1/2 on Hulu, and I have to say that I am hooked. There's just something special about old anime that I can't seem to find in shows today. I love the relatively choppy art, the cheesiness, and the stories that weren't quite as complex because, at the time, they were original enough already.

Genma is probably one of my all-time favorite anime characters now, lol.

I also loved the Magic Knights Rayearth manga when I was a kid, so I've begun watching the anime as well.

Lupin III looks pretty good, too.

Any of you guys grow up with 'classic' shows from the 80's and 90's? (I know Lupin is older, but I'm not familiar with any others from the time.)

.:: less sugar ::: more spice ::.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Marshmallow
Inner Senshi Admin
Administrative Director

Inner Senshi Admin   Administrative Director

Title : Wonder. Power. Courage.

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   11th September 2014, 7:16 pm

I started watching Ranma right after I finished Inuyasha since they always had advertising for the show on the dvds. I need to finish it actually!  :bunnypokerfaceHow far are you into the show btw? I got to season 4 I believe before I stopped watching.

Also if you like Ranma 1/2 you will probably like Urusei Yatsura too if you haven't watched it already. It's made by Rumiko Takahashi too and it's even crazier than Ranma 1/2 tbh.

The wolf-sister to Diana. ♥ The Marsmellow: very crispy, much burnt.
Back to top Go down
http://tifa.co.vu/
Flower Hurricane
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 9:07 am

Yunie wrote:
I started watching Ranma right after I finished Inuyasha since they always had advertising for the show on the dvds. I need to finish it actually!  :bunnypokerfaceHow far are you into the show btw? I got to season 4 I believe before I stopped watching.

Also if you like Ranma 1/2 you will probably like Urusei Yatsura too if you haven't watched it already. It's made by Rumiko Takahashi too and it's even crazier than Ranma 1/2 tbh.

I'm only on episode 7 or so of the first season, haha. I've heard it becomes kind of pointless after the fourth season, but so far it's interesting.

Rumiko Takahashi has such interesting stories. I read InuYasha for a while before I decided I couldn't be bothered to collect all the manga, lol. I will definitely look up that other series, thanks!

Back to top Go down
Sailor Leg Lamp
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Support Director

Inner Senshi Admin Member Support Director

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 9:13 am

Ranma 1/2 is my favorite series of all time, especially when we talk in terms of fan-fiction.

Graphics by Athena, Neo Queen Serenity, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Mercury, Gemma, and Lust
Back to top Go down
Sailor Marshmallow
Inner Senshi Admin
Administrative Director

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 9:26 am

I think I've only read one Ranma fic and technically wasn't one? It was a giant crossover between all of Rumiko's works.

@Flower Hurricane Yes Inuyasha is soooo long. It's good because it's not so fast paced and all the characters get development but it's a pain if you ever forget what chapter you were on last. 

Yeah the reason I stopped watching is because there is one episode with Ryoga that's literally so stupid (at least to me) I had to take a break from watching the show. Besides that episode I really love the show!

Back to top Go down
Flower Hurricane
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 9:33 am

Sailor Venus wrote:
Ranma 1/2 is my favorite series of all time, especially when we talk in terms of fan-fiction.

I can just imagine all the things fans could come up with, ha. I wish I had grown up with this series like Sailor Moon, especially since the characters seem like ones I would have liked when I was younger.

Yunie wrote:
I think I've only read one Ranma fic and technically wasn't one? It was a giant crossover between all of Rumiko's works.

@Flower Hurricane Yes Inuyasha is soooo long. It's good because it's not so fast paced and all the characters get development but it's a pain if you ever forget what chapter you were on last. 

Yeah the reason I stopped watching is because there is one episode with Ryoga that's literally so stupid (at least to me) I had to take a break from watching the show. Besides that episode I really love the show!

Ahahaha, well, hopefully Ranma doesn't devolve so badly that I can't continue. I'm sort of curious about InuYasha again, but.. I went further with Bleach and didn't finish that, either, so if I'm going to go back to a long show, it should probably be that one.

Back to top Go down
Sailor Leg Lamp
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Support Director

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 9:43 am

A good thing to remember about the Ranma 1/2 series is that the majority of the series isn't driven by a centralized plot like some of her later works. The vast majority of the series is driven by comedic hi-jinks that introduce either supporting or minor characters. (Urusei Yatsura is the same way.)

The reason I love the realm of Ranma 1/2 fanfiction is because many of the fan works dive very deeply into character development and exploration of series elements (such as ki and magic). Of the anime/manga series I have read, I think Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon have the longest fan works. I adore long, long works of fan-fiction.

Graphics by Athena, Neo Queen Serenity, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Mercury, Gemma, and Lust
Back to top Go down
Flower Hurricane
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 9:49 am

Sailor Venus wrote:
A good thing to remember about the Ranma 1/2 series is that the majority of the series isn't driven by a centralized plot like some of her later works. The vast majority of the series is driven by comedic hi-jinks that introduce either supporting or minor characters. (Urusei Yatsura is the same way.)

The reason I love the realm of Ranma 1/2 fanfiction is because many of the fan works dive very deeply into character development and exploration of series elements (such as ki and magic). Of the anime/manga series I have read, I think Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon have the longest fan works. I adore long, long works of fan-fiction.

Sounds awesome. Yeah, I've noticed a lot of random characters popping into the show. I guess it's more of a sitcom, then. That can make for good character development, though. Thanks for the heads up.

And I agree, Sailor Moon has some great fan work. I love that people are still so passionate about it today, so that a story that's over 20 years old is still being built upon and reworked all the time. The Sailor Moon universe is huuuuuuge, and there is so much you can do with it. Perfect fodder for fan work.

Back to top Go down
Sailor Marshmallow
Inner Senshi Admin
Administrative Director

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 9:51 am

I don't think it should. The reason why I think the episode is dumb is more because of a running joke throughout the series is the focus of the episode and it makes one of the characters look really dumb. It's hard to explain because I don't want to spoil you. But you should definitely keep watching! I also agree with Venus wholeheartedly. Ranma is like the opposite of Inuyasha. It's mostly just random stories and then there might be a two or three part episode focusing on a specific plot like Ranma learning a fighting move or something.

I've never watched Bleach. I only would watch the opening because it can on right after Inuyasha on Adult Swim. Smile But I heard it's good so maybe I'll start one day. Isn't it super long though?

Back to top Go down
Sailor Leg Lamp
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Support Director

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 9:52 am

Which episode, out of curiosity?

Back to top Go down
Flower Hurricane
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 9:58 am

Yunie wrote:
I don't think it should. The reason why I think the episode is dumb is more because of a running joke throughout the series is the focus of the episode and it makes one of the characters look really dumb. It's hard to explain because I don't want to spoil you. But you should definitely keep watching! I also agree with Venus wholeheartedly. Ranma is like the opposite of Inuyasha. It's mostly just random stories and then there might be a two or three part episode focusing on a specific plot like Ranma learning a fighting move or something.

I've never watched Bleach. I only would watch the opening because it can on right after Inuyasha on Adult Swim. Smile But I heard it's good so maybe I'll start one day. Isn't it super long though?

I'll keep watching and see where the series goes. I've liked shows without any real underlying plot, so this probably will be fine.

I was addicted to the first two seasons of Bleach, but then there was this weird filler arc that, as far as I know, had nothing to do with the manga, and one of the key characters from the previous seasons was completely ignored and put on the backburner, even though their story was not dealt with at the end of the second season. So I had to stop there, since the random arc lost my interest. I may return to it, though, since it looks like everything's up crunchyroll.

One reason I like Bleach is that it has so many characters, kind of like Sailor Moon. I can't remember many specifics, as this was years ago, but I do remember being interested in the overall story and all the adventures Ichigo and co. would have on the way to do.. whatever they were doing, lol. Sorry I can't be much of a help when it comes to Bleach. I'd recommend starting it, though, just to see what the hype is about.

I also know it's really long, but since I ended it relatively early, I have no idea how far it goes. I think the manga is still coming out, too...

Back to top Go down
Sailor Marshmallow
Inner Senshi Admin
Administrative Director

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 10:18 am

Haha I was actually going to ask you if you knew what episode I was talking about Venus.

Spoiler:

This episode just...really bothered me.  

@Flower Hurricane Oh I see. Thanks for the information. I'm just going to have to add it to the things I need to watch.

Back to top Go down
JupiterThunderCrash
Roleplaying Moderator

Roleplaying Moderator

Title : Scorpio Starsign

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 10:24 am

I think that was just Akane not wanting to make the connection between Ryoga and P-chan, so she subconsciously dissociates the two. And because it's comical that everyone except her gets it. Really, this show is rarely serious (except for some plotlines).

Back to top Go down
http://scorpio-rat.tumblr.com/
Sailor Marshmallow
Inner Senshi Admin
Administrative Director

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 10:54 am

Idk I personally just thought it...wasn't it funny I guess. Maybe it's because I always felt like she should know since the Akane/P-chan thing was already weird to me anyway. Overall the episode was just really weak to me because of the plot and what I've mentioned before.

Back to top Go down
Flower Hurricane
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 11:09 am

I haven't even met P-chan yet. Looking forward to more characters already. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sailor Marshmallow
Inner Senshi Admin
Administrative Director

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   13th September 2014, 8:14 pm

Oh I'm sure you will love P-chan. uwu.

Back to top Go down
Starchild
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official JunJun/Sailor Juno

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   30th September 2014, 4:34 pm

Mod note: moved to other anime and Manga since it is more suited there Very Happy

Avatar by Sailor Mercury | Sig by Me
The Starry Quinn to Mistah Ek ~ Addy's Waifu ~ The Maki to Nico's Nico ~ Eternal Eternity's Mentor

Back to top Go down
http://infeliouszalez.tumblr.com http://sailor-juno.deviantart.com http://youtube.com/infeliouszalez http://curedirge.livejournal.com
Sailor Leg Lamp
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Support Director

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   14th December 2014, 6:48 am

Another classic for me is Gundam Wing. (: I haven't watched it or read any fanfiction in ages, but, oh boy, was I obsessed with it as a child.

Back to top Go down
Solipsi Rai
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : (GC's Official) Makoto/Jupiter - primadonna's husband

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   23rd February 2015, 9:49 am

Since the thread title mentioned classic (1980s and earlier) anime, I want to mention Voltron, Noozles, the Flying House and Mysterious Cities of Gold. There were movies Unico the Last Unicorn and the Little Mermaid (this version didn't have a happy ending).

SAILOR JUPITER is my fave Senshi!     

If there is will, there is a way, there is want to make the world a better place.

The triumph of intelligence over ignorance - The Phil Hendrie radio comedy show
Back to top Go down
Sailor CJ
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Galaxia

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   23rd February 2015, 10:03 am

Came here to spread the worship of Ranma 1/2. Genma is great but Soun is 10/10 best character. The scene where he blocks Happosai's energy blast heroically is hilarious. I love how brave they thought he was until he revealed that he just couldn't move in time with the suit of armor on.

I'm loving the new editions Viz is putting out. Just a warning though, they're 1-2 and 3-4 actually cover the first 3 volumes of their original release. So keep in mind that these new editions are actually one volume off of the originally incorrect western release.

Back to top Go down
http://ourinkedobsession.com
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Ranma 1/2 and other classics   24th February 2015, 12:23 am

I don't know if Flower Hurricane still posts at these forums but for anyone who likes Bleach and also likes classic anime, they should totally drop everything and go watch Yu Yu Hakusho if they haven't already.
Back to top Go down

Ranma 1/2 and other classics

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Other Anime and Manga-