Share | 

The Hook In Sailor Moon...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   18th February 2012, 6:58 pm

Now... Sailor Moon, I'll admit is NOT the easiest thing to get into. There are numerous holes in it... but there's some point, different for everyone where it stops mattering and you realise that its PROBABLY the best thing to be invented ever in the history of everything. o_o Now let's here what was your exact turning point:

ANIME:

This was the first version I saw...I would like to say from the first moment I was hooked, but in all honesty, I just found it /good/ not amazing. But then there was Zoisite's arc which REALLY started picking up the series for me, it got better and better and then *BAM* episode 34 "The Sparkling Ginzuishou! The Moon Princess Appears!" it was just so amazing to me @_@ I don't know maybe it was the song "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" but since then I haven't looked back. I watched the episodes again and I loved them better the second time!!

MANGA:

This was the easiest version to get into for me. I mean right from the get-go I was hooked for this version... I think it was opening it that did it for me :3

PGSM:

The third version I got into... hm, this one took a while, I was quite apprehensive about the special effects... But when Makoto came into the series, it took a whole other road from the manga and anime and the storytelling and emotions of the actresses was just so great, they were just really belieable. So what if it was cheesy. and of course "Kirari* Sailor Dream" and "C'est La Vie" always help Very Happy

MUSICALS:

This was /definitely/ the hardest for me. I was extremely weary about the costumes and the special effects. I watched the first musical, Gaiden Dark Kingdom Fukkatsu Hen... it was okay. It wasn't bad, the acting was okay. The songs "Natsu wo Shimashou Vacation" "Namikimichi no Koi" "Onnanoko no Shinsou" "Sailor War" "Saikyou no Couple Gundan" and of course "La Soldier" I liked alot, I also loved the portrayal of Haruna... but still it wasn't QUITE enough. I watched the second "Usagi Ai no Senshi e no Michi" and there was the song "Talisman wo Sagase" well this is not one of my favourite songs, and goes into the bottom 30... but i was SO impressed with Keiko Hanayama's portrayal of Kaolinite, I mean I didn't like Kaolinite much in any version but I LOVED this Kaolinite. And as odd as it sounds, this was definitely how I got in. She was crazy, evil, mischievous, frightening, mountains, witty, funny, good and singing and lovable all at the same time XD and since then I've come to really appreciate the first musical, particularly for Nana Suzuki's heartfelt performance! and I've loved every myu since... I was worried that Sailor Stars started to decline the quality. But Eien Densetsu was even more amazing than I could have imagined!

ANOTHER STORY:

Video games are EXTREMELY difficult for me, so I had to cheat. I really enjoyed the storytelling in this game... but it was just really hard. What really sold me was the Guardian Senshi solo parts of the game. A Swiss man falling for Ami who has to push him away for her mission (and Ryo apparently)... Rei getting confused at people who look like Jadeite... Makoto having to deal with a strange Romeo & Juliet-esque family fued in a Canadian Woods and of course, Minako running away from a mob of Turkish Men XD

Back to top Go down
JoJiaMystie
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Galaxia Sama

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   18th February 2012, 7:24 pm

Anime was the very first version I got into! I must admit even today, I have a hard time getting more interested in any other versions thought manga is almost equal to me.

First reason being the useless extended moment in useless anime moments that got me attached to every character which I thought were sometimes too short in manga version.

Of course, romance between Mamoru and Usagi was much more appreciable in manga version. I hate the way they sorta destroyed it in the anime version and it got me frustrated so many times.

Enigma's Twin  
Back to top Go down
http://SunBaby17.wixsite.com/jiaartistetatoueur http://jojiamystie.deviantart.com
Sashminda
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Aunt

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   18th February 2012, 8:02 pm

for me the musicals were incredibly easy to get into but the manga was the hardest. I think it's because I don't like how in my head the characters speak the English translation and so can't help but try to translate it back into Japanese which doesn't work because it's too hard O_O

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   18th February 2012, 8:30 pm

anime:I saw the anime first and I was hooked like that! As a kid I loved watching superheros and other cartoons so it was it was easy for me to get into.

manga: As for the manga it took we awhile to get into. I got a copy of a volume before S came to America and it had Uranus and Neptune in it so I was confuse to who they were. I think got vol 7 of the mixx release? That was my first manga so I didn't know you were suppose to start at number one XD I then bought some more volumes and I was still confuse because the story was different from anime and it had fast pace. I didn't like it. When I got older I found translations online I read it and I liked it. I still like the anime better though.

PGSM: It took me a few episodes to get into. I really watched the series just for laughs because of the transformations and fight scenes remind of power rangers. As I got further into the series I liked they relationships between the characters. There were a few plot points that bothered me like Minako having that illness.

Musicals: I watched the first one and I was like meh. I thought it was cheesy and then I tried watching the second and I couldn't finish it. I just thought it was so cheesy so I stopped watching the musicals. Maybe I'll give it another try?

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   18th February 2012, 8:34 pm

I guess the musicals aren't for everyone X3 some of them are alot darker. The Dracul Series for example are a little too dark and its actually a little bit frightening =\ and the Kaguya Island musicals are a nice balance between cheesy and serious. I feel that the whole concept of sailor moon is cheesy to begin with some I've never been able to understand what the difference is. I actually find more problems with the anime than the other three versions but i guess its just me. For me it goes Musicals > Manga > PGSM > Anime
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   18th February 2012, 8:41 pm

For me it's anime>manga>PGSM. I didn't put the musicals in because I don't think that's fair because only watched the first one and the part of the second one.

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   18th February 2012, 10:57 pm

ANIME

Oh well since the anime is my first exposure, then that is was got me hooked. I remember catching one episode when i was really little (maybe 7 or 8?) before it aired on Cartoon Network here in the US. Then i never saw it again, until one of my Jr high friends (which makes me about 11/12) was like "COME OVER AND WATCH THESE CARTOONS WITH ME". And I did. And I just got so INSANELY hooked on it. It was my first exposure to Toonami too and I got into a variety of other shows, but Sailor Moon was THE show for me. I don't even remember what episode it was that we watched. It was just so awesome for me. Girl superheros...that I could relate too...AMAZING TRANSFORMATIONS. HOT GUYS. WHAT. Yeeeeah. Then I would always get on the computers in the library at school in the mornings and do searches on Yahoo for Sailor Moon fansites. ^^ Ah the memories. I read about how censored it was in the US and read up on the Japanese version, maybe being able to find a clip of the show here or there (there was no such thing as torrents or youtube back then!). Then my mom got me the movies!! And then the R movie uncut with subtitles!! MOON REVENGE BECAME THE MOST AMAZING SONG EVER. Srsly. Then when I was like 15 or 16 (whenever ADV released the uncute 1st and 2nd seasons boxset), I got the first season boxset and I marathoned the crap out of it. Finally being able to watch it all, uncute, subtitled, and seeing the final episodes of the first season. Aw man, it was just a beautiful thing to behold. XD

MANGA

And on to the manga, well I was just getting into manga then. I also really like Pokemon, so my mom had been buying me the thin comics for me. I then noticed that Barnes & Noble carried manga and thats when I saw it...the first volume of Sailor Moon. I think I nearly lost my mind.... I was like "THERE IS A COMIC VERSION OF THIS WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN". I'm not even joking. from there the manga engaged me so much with its beautiful art and I became very inspired to draw and make art and draw Sailor Moon ALL THE TIME. I read those books so much. The ones that didn't fall apart because of hte crappy glue quality got messed up from me reading them bunches. XD I even read them in the bath tub! And I collected them as often as I could afford them or my mom was willing to buy them... I had to finish reading them by borrowing from friends because they eventually went out of print. I was very sad. Sad

PGSM

So for PGSM, it was coming out when I was still in high school. I had started downloading it and really enjoyed it, despite its corniness and cheesyness...because come on...you are a hypocrite if you say PGSM is cheesy but the anime is not. -_- It took me a while to watch all of PGSM, but I eventually did and rather enjoyed it. Not as memorable as the anime and manga were for me, but I still really liked it. I've been meaning to rewatch it lately, but just haven't had the chance to. Though when I do, I will do so through Miss Dream's fansubs of it!

MYUs

So for Myu, I had been only exposed to some readings on the internet and a few pictures of it. I was always slight interested in what it was all about, but never knew much about it or where to start. So one day, about a year ago, I just youtubed it. And man, its so awesome! I love the songs and the dancing the alternate telling of the well known SM storylines... I'm still fairly new to the musicals, but so far they haven't disappointed me! I even rather enjoyed the first musical even though its meh in costumes and wigs compared to the later ones. XD

And thats all for my long ranty time.

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   19th February 2012, 12:15 am

If you focus on Nana Suzuki / Sailor Venus's story and acting on the first musical. Its actually shockingly heartrending. I was crying the other day because of it.

Voluntarily Deactivated Account!
Back to top Go down
Princess Luna
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Luna. Previously Sailor Selene

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   29th February 2012, 2:26 pm

When I was little and the show first came out I thought it was the best thing EVER! My mom didn't like me watching it though, so I didn't get to watch it too much. When I got to high school I went on a nastalgia kick and rewatched Sailor Moon. That is when I got extremely hooked and an uber fan! Smile

Proud mentor of Zoey900
Back to top Go down
http://meganalburger.weebly.com http://sailormegansings.tumblr.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/PrettySailorSaturn
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   10th July 2015, 10:58 am

When I discovered Sailor Moon, looked it up on Wikipedia, and was like, Wow. This sounds really interesting. Then, I started reading the mnaga last February and was like, THIS IS SO GOOD.

Sig is MIA until I get the time to sit down and mess around with stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
silverskywind
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   10th July 2015, 11:02 am

For me it was anime, then the manga. I can't remember what actually hooked me to it though. I just remember watching it on Cartoon Network(when they still had Toonami) and it was on right before dinner-I was 8th grade when it first started showing and I would do my latchhook "homework" while watching it. I also like PGSM-but I wish I had DVDs that actually worked on a DVD player instead of just the CD's that only in the PC computer. I haven't been as hooked on the Myu's.
Back to top Go down
nekosenshi
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   13th July 2015, 12:21 pm

I am only into the anime. I think it was just the basic format: girls who use magic to fight villains, romance, astrology, reincarnation, talking cats.
Astrologically, all their powers make sense except Mercury's. I'm confused about that because Virgo is not a water sign and the planet has nothing to do with water either.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   13th July 2015, 12:25 pm

In Japanese, Mercury is called "suisei" which literally means "water star". That's where the water comes from ^_^

♥️ ♥️
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   13th July 2015, 5:25 pm

nekosenshi wrote:
I am only into the anime. I think it was just the basic format: girls who use magic to fight villains, romance, astrology, reincarnation, talking cats.
Astrologically, all their powers make sense except Mercury's. I'm confused about that because Virgo is not a water sign and the planet has nothing to do with water either.
You should check out the other versions, especially the manga. You won't regret it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
sammywhatammy
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : pink is so punk

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   14th July 2015, 5:59 pm

I really don't remember!!! I just remember being obsessed and not being able to get enough. once a day on toonami wasn't enough, then i stumbled upon the manga at barnes and noble........

FOR AS BIG A DIEHARD AS I AM, I'M TERRIBLE AT REMEMBERING WHAT STARTED IT HAHAHAHAHA

Back to top Go down
http://ask-chibiusa.tumblr.com http://sammywhatammy.tumblr.com
sailor-books
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : The Guardian of Books (and cake)

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   21st July 2015, 2:41 am

I was actually poking around on Crunchyroll when I came across SMC. Then i started reading the manga and watching the original, but when i really started getting into SMC i was like "WOAH THIS IS THE BEST"

Back to top Go down
http://pastel-starlight.tumblr.com
PrincesseNee
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Spread the love, people! ~Lover of Inner Senshi~
Location : Where Peace, Love, and Gumdrops are! AKA My Imagination. :3

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   21st July 2015, 6:03 am

I got hooked on the Anime first because of Mars' transformation. When I saw it, my mind was blown! Literally what went in my head was, "THIS GIRL IS ON FIREEEE! ITS SO KEWL!" After finishing the anime, I went straight for the Manga for the sole reason of seeing Naoko's beautiful art style! So, I guess the art is what got me into Sailor Moon, since I like to be a visual sort of person. Very Happy

~Siggies by Mercury, Mars, Neo-King Helios, and Pluto. Avi by Zoey900~

#TEAMPINKDONKEY
Back to top Go down
Eternal Knight
Roleplaying Moderator

Roleplaying Moderator

Title : GC's Official Prince Diamond

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   21st July 2015, 5:51 pm

Sailor Moon was the easiest thing ever to get into. Which can seem surprising perhaps considering the plot holes, the crappy effects, some crappy choice when it comes to the dubs (I won't get into that here) and others, but really it was one of the only anime / etc that I know that uses easily everything interesting in light stories.

I don't have big reasons to watch everything actually, but here mine anyway:

Anime:
I got hooked... very slowly mostly because getting into the action took too many episodes (what in heaven seemed like a good idea in stretching the senshi encounters to 30-40 episodes? it was way too long for me). But Zoisite and Kunzite teamwork was interesting and I soon accepted all the weird stuff happening. Everyone was psychologically interesting (including the senshi) and there were many psychological conflicts. That and I love that type of silly humor.

PGSM:
Zoisite got me hooked. Fortunately, he arrived at the end of the sixth episode and I was happy to continue throughout the whole thing. What I love of PGSM also is that their hair ARE DIFFERENT from their senshi appearances which made it harder for others to recognize them (which is also more logical).

Sera Myu:
I debuted with La Reconquista and fortunately immediately liked it (I'm already a fan of musicals in general so yeah). After watching Petite Étrangère, I went on and watched every older Sera Myu. As for those, I'm not sorry to say that Hikari Ono got me to watch the entire thing as well as the first stage Tuxedo Kamen and MC Fly/Tiger's Eye/Gille de Rais/etc. It's bad apparently to watch things for actors, but that's what makes me discover stuff so I don't care. It's all a talented bunch of crazies and though I have trouble with the last musicals of the fourth western stage, I have no regrets about watching them all.

Crystal:
The Shitennou made me stay and the fact they were a team. They weren't kill off immediately or separately so it made me appreciate that. And it wasn't as long as the 90s anime, so there was no exhaustion from watching 200 inside a month.

Manga:
I'm still not sure if I'll be hooked. I'll read it all only because it's Sailor Moon, but I need to read it from Arc 1 instead of randomly picking a book... So for now that's all.

Avatar by Sailor Mercury. Graphics by GC's members. GK's mentor.
The Mistah EK to Starry Quinn~ Addelyn husbando. Small Lady Myubando. <3 The Uranus to GK's Neptune

Back to top Go down
SailorAries
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : Lovely Angel Fisheye

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   7th July 2017, 5:31 pm

First episode of the 90s one. Not even kidding. And this was further enforced with the episode about the smooth jazz guy getting attacked by a vampire monster. I said to myself "yes, this is a good show."

(gifs by ainosenshi.net, sig by myself :p)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUSm_SqnGvh9lhgp58q3Fxw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Ecliptic
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   20th September 2017, 10:08 pm

Sailor Moon hooked me when I really young, because of it's colors and it's magical aspect. Though, what kept me, and what keeps pulling me back is the drama, and the depth of it's characters. My family always told me that Sailor Moon was for children, and was stupid, but I've always stuck by the fact that it has very inspirational and deep characters that keep it going.

The original anime reeled me in, and the manga and musicals held me. Some years ago I was hooked on the songs Fire and La Soldier, and some others. Good stuff, those musicals.

Nowadays, Crystal is my main draw, and it pulled me back in some time ago. I love so many aspects of this series.

- avatar is from Eidolune's pre-mades.  
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Novice Senshi

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   21st September 2017, 1:08 am

There really wasn't a turning point as such. I saw the very first episode of the English dub at around 1995 or so and I was instantly in love with the anime. The characters and the story were very entertaining and unique for me.
As unusual as it might sound the anime alone was enough to keep my interest in Sailor Moon the whole time. Ten years ago a work friend of my sister's once lent us her full collection of Sailor Moon DVDs and we binged watched the whole thing over a couple of weeks. I made her a thank you fanart of Sailor Jupiter, her favorite guardian. Nowadays thanks to Crystal I'm watching both Viz animes and I'm loving both canons.

An upcoming Sailor Moon/Melody's Escape crossover - Usagi's Escape
the Power of Music the Power of Rhythm the Power of Volume the Power of Technique the Power of the Soloist
Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
magic713
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: The Hook In Sailor Moon...   21st September 2017, 6:41 am

I think this is the only franchise that I've ever dug into in such detail.

Anime
When I first saw it, the hook was really the unique hero team with different colored outfits and different types of attacks. Not to mentioned being named after planets, which appealed to my love of astronomy and made me curious about other planet Senshi (I was only up to R, and at the time, no Outer Senshi, except Pluto, who I forgot about frequently). Then I fell for the plot and characters and stuck by it.

Manga
Years after the last Cloverway dub episode, I discovered the manga and I was curious about it and how it could differ from the anime. I fell in love with the in-depth plot, and I gained a huge respect for Usagi in the manga (while making me see anime Usagi as a little shallow in compare), plus I really enjoyed how involve Tuxedo Mask was in both the fights and in Usagi's life. While the villains aren't as developed in manga, I did feel like i learned more of the Senshi themselves, even if it was limited to one chap, per arc.

PGSM
I am currently trying to get through it. It is good after getting through the first few episodes, I'm just really occupied, so I'm moving slowly. But I do feel a slight hybrid of manga and anime in it which I enjoy, but it is still its own incarnation.

Crystal
More accurate animated version of the manga is what hooked me. Some parts I liked, others I thought they could do better. But I stuck around for Infinity, which impressed me with the new animation, not to mention that one episode displayed scenes almost exactly as I pictured in manga, so kudos.

Sera Myu
Not seen yet. Planning on seeing after PGSM, if only to gain more knowledge of the franchise in its entirety.

Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/

The Hook In Sailor Moon...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: General SM Discussion-