The Galaxy Cauldron
Hello! We are a large forum! So here are some things to keep in mind when visiting!

❤️ Not all forums are visible to guests!

❤️ We offer a Dark and Light theme! You can Change it at the very bottom of the forums, on the left hand side

❤️ You can minimize sections that you don't visit/want to see by using the +/- signs location on Category titles.

HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Stahkoul [Fanfiction]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Stahkoul [Fanfiction]   13th October 2018, 5:27 am

Title: Stahkoul
By: chrissifniotis
Rated: PG-13
Fandom: Myst/Uru
Pairing: N/A
Notes: Similar to a short story I posted last year this is a story I'm currently making for the artist community I'm a part of; Project Starcall.
Story Summary: The Starcall team discover the Cleft in the desert and go on an incredible journey over the multiverse and discover the wonders of the D'ni and the Art of Writing.
Comments allowed: Yes

This story is dedicated to Tindomiel Silverthrone, a wonderful and supportive friend. She has always been a friendly face and helpful to anyone and everyone she came across. At the time this story had begun she resigned herself from Project Starcall for personal matters. It is one of my fondest wishes that I visit the United States and see all of the friends I met on the internet in various forms, Sylessae is certainly one of these but Tindomiel is a treasured friend I’d enjoy spending some time with and have a good chat. A parting D’ni prayer for Tindomiel;

Bigto b’shehm Tindomiel. Yahvo ahreeuh meht sehltahn g’tagr shehn bahrtah shorah g’soygih f’rehtahleeo. Votahr Yahvo g’bitgo b’bihv kahmrov mehr r’dovah.

Blessing to you, Tindomiel. Yahvo (the Maker or God), protect this writer and give her peace and stability on the surface. Praise Yahvo and blessings to all who watch the words.
[Interpreted as ‘all who read these words.’]

Roon

I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that I made a monumental leap of faith, for some reason I believed Yeesha when she said the chasm led back to Earth but I thought this was just another trick and the ground would be much closer. I was so wrong.

I tried to speculate how gruesome my death would be but I admit that such conjecture is futile. I fell through that starry expanse at terminal velocity, it was only 200 kilometres an hour but with the sound of the air that rushed past me it felt like the speed of light. There was no doubt I was going to die, thinking about it was pointless. Still, upon whose hands with one day steal my Relto book from my corpse was unsettling to me.

I know that my apprehensions will only be allayed at the very last second, and so I close realizing that the end has already been written.

Except that wasn’t true at all. That was exactly what I thought jumping through the fissure in Relto for the first time. Every explorer I met at the time told me it was such a freeing experience to fall through the great crack and soar towards the Cleft on Earth. It really is, but the first time I did it was awful. There’s a great deal of uncertainty doing it at night, you can’t see the Cleft, the volcano, Zandi’s caravan. There’s a lot of hazardous ground and objects at the Cleft. My first dive was nerve-wracking; the entire time I regretted the decision and falling through the atmosphere I channelled Atrus, wondering about my death. Nowadays I always travel between my Relto and Earth via the fissure. Even with my robes the sensation of flying through the air and seeing the world race towards you is spectacular. Everyone needs to do this once in their life.

The last time I did it was the last day I was in Relto, the day I left the great city and ended my exploration of the D’ni; about three of four years ago now. It was a clear Wednesday morning. I had packed up my things and took only a few ages with me; my favourites, Kadish Tolesa, Eder Kemo, Ahnonay and Kosmosfeer - the very first proper age I wrote myself. I was so proud of Kosmosfeer I simply needed to keep it with me at all times and the age itself had links to all my other ages. It was my magnus opus, my masterpiece. It was the age that reinvented the way Age Writers wrote their descriptive books. It was the linking book that defined the new era of ages, from simple shapes and basic mechanisms on vast water worlds into forests and jungles, detailed architecture and beautifully complex design and puzzles in an ever-growing Tree of Possibilities. Kosmosfeer expanded the rate at which the Art of Writing was evolving to the new Age Writers and new ages to explore. I shared my age with at least eleven of my closest friends in the cavern so taking the original copy didn’t really restrict it. There’s also an official copy of it in the Guild of Writers so that’s fine.

I stood at the edge of the fissure, the hessian robe danced about in the cold, frigid wind. The stack of linking books in hand, or rather tucked under my left arm, I peered over the threshold to see a cloudy blue haze filtering the dusty desert below. Slowly I lifted my head, thinking about all the wonderful memories I had; discovering the many ages available, the splendor of Ae’gura and its monuments and the history of the D’ni. I smiled. The time I spent in the cavern was beyond anything I ever imagined when I arrived. My time was done here, I fulfilled my goals and was ready to move on and return to the surface. Without hesitating I gripped the linking books tightly to my chest, took one step at the very foot of the gap and dropped through. The wind rushed all around me, the robe flapped uncontrollably and the one other linking book in my possession – Relto – also felt the wind, it rose up from my belt on my right side.

Interestingly the trip between the two worlds is quite short; at ten meters per second squared the human body reaches terminal velocity very quickly, it’s only 58 meters per second. Relto fissures only appear at night and they seem very distant, they actually look like stars twinkling in the night sky, but in fact my fissure is just above the cloud line, I can’t be certain but I think it’s only a couple of kilometres above the Cleft. I fell through a passing cloud and the haze lifted to reveal the vast desert of the American Midwest. Really, it’s the only part of the US I actually know intimately; New Mexico, Carlsbad Caverns and all that. I am one of the very few distinguished people that knows about the volcano in the Midwest. The sound of the air whooshing past me was just white noise, I’m so used to it by now. I can always see the Cleft and the volcano from this height, they are just a couple of small dots in the desert but I was rushing towards the Earth as fast as gravity could pull me. Seconds passed and I already fell more than halfway down. More and more detail started to come into view; the volcano was dormant and the mouth filled in by a large mound of sand and dirt. For its thin features the Cleft was much clearer, I could see all the way to the wet patch at its bottom. The shining glint of rusted bronze was from the telescope from Riven, another age connected to Earth in the same way Relto is. Zandi’s caravan was still parked in the same old spot, I figured he was still sitting on his deck chair listening to Peter Gabriel. The ground continued to fly towards me, I had only a few seconds before I landed. The features stretched further and further, pulled apart from each other more and more the closer I reached the Earth. All of a sudden, my speed decreased. It felt like I fell into water, instant resistance pushed me. As soon as I was centimetres from the ground I stopped, I floated. For a few seconds I was suspended in the air, my books still under my arm. The force then gently placed me on firm ground, I was home. I looked up to try to see the fissure but it was too small. Try to imagine seeing a crack about ten meters long and maybe three or four meters wide from more than two kilometres away. I sighed and looked back at the desert, the secrets this place holds. With a slight smirk I began to walk away from it and leave the Cleft forever, I knew that I experienced all that I could in this world and would move on to new things.

As it turned out ‘forever’ was completely incorrect, but you all know that by now. This story is not about me, nor my place in Project Starcall. This story is how Project Starcall became more than a community, it became physical, tangible. This is an ode to Stahkoul, the age where the community resides and how in all the Tree of Possibilities it became what it is today; an institution of creativity within the mostly reclusive and secret world of Ae’gura, the D’ni city, a single leaf in this awe inspiring and unique multiverse.

- Guildmaster Chris, Head of the Age Writer’s Guild in Stahkoul.

I'm working on this story via Online Word in fact but by request I've decided to reproduce and post it here on Galaxy Cauldron. This is the second time I've created a story for Project Starcall, last year I produced a short story for Starcall and posted it here as well. The chapters are numbered in D'ni numerals and the titles for each chapter are the D'ni terms for each number, Roon is the term for the concept of zero. I do still keep in touch with Tindomiel and she loves the story so far, she's as much a fan of Myst and Uru as I am and she loves how she acts in the story. The D'ni in the dedication is correct but I'm not sure about the structure, the words and prefixes might not be in the right order. This is the introduction to the story, about my final experiences playing the MMO Myst Online: Uru Live and my own ideas for Ages. It's a good starting point for the story to come. I hope you enjoy something a bit different. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
Diagnosed

PostSubject: Re: Stahkoul [Fanfiction]   16th October 2018, 1:46 pm

Oooo nice start!! I sort of chuckled a bit at the self-explanatory part but I suppose that's sort of the point with Uru online, isn't it? Thanks for posting this! Your description is great and I love that you include the figures for speed and distance, since the technical parts of the written materials in game are quite prominent, so I always expect them to be in the minds of the Age Writers.

Very cool indeed!

Avatar: Brit-chan (manga coloring) & Serenyve (design/editing) | Cherry Blossom: Starchild

Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Re: Stahkoul [Fanfiction]   18th October 2018, 11:22 pm

It's kinda more along the lines of I shouldn't expect people to really know about Myst or Uru since I know it's so niche and obscure even nowadays. But that's also the point, to expose the greatness of the multiverse and the wonder it holds. So that really gets played a lot in the story. Anyway I'll keep posted the more chapters I write into it.

Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
Diagnosed

PostSubject: Re: Stahkoul [Fanfiction]   19th October 2018, 5:04 am

Cripes!! I just realized my phone autocorrected self-insert to self-explanatory OTL. So I chuckled at the self-INSERT lol. Again though, it sorta fits.

And YES I think you totally did a great job of describing the world thus far for people who've never played the game!

Avatar: Brit-chan (manga coloring) & Serenyve (design/editing) | Cherry Blossom: Starchild

Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos

Stahkoul [Fanfiction]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: Creativity Corner :: Writers-