The Galaxy Cauldron
Hello! We are a large forum! So here are some things to keep in mind when visiting!

❤️ Not all forums are visible to guests!

❤️ We offer a Dark and Light theme! You can Change it at the very bottom of the forums, on the left hand side

❤️ You can minimize sections that you don't visit/want to see by using the +/- signs location on Category titles.

HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Sailor Moon Confession Time!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   24th July 2011, 8:07 am

Quote :
The anime, for me, is full of stupid prejudices and homophobia when it doesn't happen in the manga.

Yeah, but then anime made Zoisite, Kunzite, and Fisheye gay. I never understood why the anime did that. I have nothing against homosexuals, but it kind of annoys me when people change characters sexuality.......That makes me hippocratic doesn't it? Seeing how like the shipping of Usgai and Seiya XD

formally Yamichan16   
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   24th July 2011, 8:10 am

OTOH, must one be straight until proven otherwise? Was it necessarily a change in sexuality and not just a change in emphasis? Sure, I gather there is no relationship to be seen in the manga, but that doesn't mean that the characters can only possibly be straight. (I haven't read this part of the manga, for reference.)
Back to top Go down
http://tofsla.dreamwidth.org
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   24th July 2011, 8:25 am

Quote :
but that doesn't mean that the characters can only possibly be straight.

This is true, but I'm talking about whole anime/manga world not just Sailor Moon. I'm sure there are authors who write their characters to be straight or gay. Then fans go change it around and it bothers me a bit.

formally Yamichan16   
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   24th July 2011, 8:31 am

We'll stop when representation of gay characters and alternative sexualities stops sucking, I guess. Very Happy But for serious, I really don't think there's a problem there; people can interpret canon however they like and there's still enough for everyone, right? It's really not as though representations of straight characters are going to disappear any time soon. But if you're not straight finding characters that can be useful for your own identity-building is a lot tougher. Not that I think any other reasons for interpreting apparently straight characters as bisexual or gay are actually terrible either.

And for a lot of people IRL this stuff actually isn't set in stone, and they may only realise quite late that they can be attracted to different kinds of people. So it's a pretty fun idea to play with in some respects! I think it's absolutely as valid as any other kind of fan interpretation or speculation.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Night
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Nighty

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   24th July 2011, 11:10 am

Yamichan16 wrote:
Yeah, but then anime made Zoisite, Kunzite, and Fisheye gay.

Seeing that Naoko Takeuchi wasn't angry about it (like she was about the Starlights being men when she made them strictly women - for example) I think she was okay with this. Or just didn't care.

As for Zoicite and Kunzite, there is one part in the manga where you can see them very close, Zoicite sitting on the arm of Kunzite's chair. It's only a drawing and nothing else, but it's enough for some to think there's something more between these two.
I'm not a fan of this pairing (see my previous post - I'm a Shitennou/Inner shipper) but their relationship in the anime added a bit depth to their characters.

As for the amazon trio, they didn't have much developpement in the manga ; they mostly were like the "youma of the day".
But just looking at their character design they are screaming "GAY" to me, the three of them. I don't think making one of them gay was a weird choice.

Well, above all remember : this was a show from the early 90's. People were not as open as some are nowadays - though I have to say Sailor Moon was a pretty "open" anime for this time. And this is coming from a 100% lesbian girl.
Back to top Go down
http://ignis-divine.org
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   24th July 2011, 11:53 am

Haha, sure. Although that is also the era of Utena and of Oniisama e getting an anime (Oniisama e is not that progressive in now-terms, but the manga is from the 70s and really interesting in that context). In some respects I don't feel like anime has actually moved forward much in terms of this stuff since then generally, there are just way more really token characters and a lot of the same old bull. At least shows like Sailor Moon and Oniisama e have queer characters who aren't solely played for laughs.

Now I'm getting off topic! Should wind down.

But I think that Sailor Moon almost feels like it mostly inherits from an older movement which is centred on the 70s, so I don't actually find for example Michiru and Haruka's relationship surprisingly open so much as a pleasant twist on older patterns in shojo, which used to be one of the big places for exploring ideas about gender and sexuality (to the extent that it had a huge impact on Japan's lesbian community in the 70s!).
Back to top Go down
Sailor Night
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Nighty

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   24th July 2011, 1:34 pm

@Toft wrote:
Haha, sure. Although that is also the era of Utena and of Oniisama e getting an anime

Oh, that's true! (though I didn't see Oniisama e 's anime - I loved the manga too much to try...) But what I meant is that Sailor Moon, as a kid oriented show, was more "open" than many others of that era, having lots of clearly homosexual characters like Zoicite and Fish Eye.
Of course next to more mature anime like Oniisama e or Utena there's nearly nothing to see.
Back to top Go down
http://ignis-divine.org
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   24th July 2011, 2:01 pm

@Sailor Night wrote:
@Toft wrote:
Haha, sure. Although that is also the era of Utena and of Oniisama e getting an anime

Oh, that's true! (though I didn't see Oniisama e 's anime - I loved the manga too much to try...) But what I meant is that Sailor Moon, as a kid oriented show, was more "open" than many others of that era, having lots of clearly homosexual characters like Zoicite and Fish Eye.
Of course next to more mature anime like Oniisama e or Utena there's nearly nothing to see.

Re: Oniisama e, I like the manga way better, although the anime does have some lovely moments. I'm Ikeda Riyoko's eternal fangirl, though; I definitely know other people who thought the anime was brilliant. (Look now I have to try and sound all restrained even though I am super-excited to run into someone who's read that manga. Aaaaaah.)

Now I'm wondering about the relative demographics actually, but that's probably getting too involved in an off-topic thing. Hmm!

But yeah I absolutely do think that Sailor Moon has really great things in this respect. I think the thing is really that the bit that's golden is that it has characters who are gay & lesbian without being a series which is about sexuality/queerness - and I mean I love me some series about sexuality, but a series which has lesbians who are, you know, trying to save the world while just happening to be hooked up? Yes! Also a much-needed thing.
Back to top Go down
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   24th July 2011, 6:45 pm

Try to keep it on topics love!

3 or 4 posts not pertaining to the topic is considered spam, we do have a debate, and theory section, and a general discussion area if you want to talk more <3

- Lady Galaxia

Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Daughter of Apollo

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   25th July 2011, 8:43 pm

Confession: A couple days ago I went hunting through my parent's shed where they have stored my and my sister's old stuffed animals and Barbies. I hunted through a hugggge storage container filled with maybe 50 Barbies and unearthed a lame Sailor Venus doll and an Eternal Sailor Moon Doll.

The Venus doll has huge orange boots instead of the heels. Her eyes look nothing like how they do in the anime. She's missing her tiara, red hairbow, and gloves. Though the last part is without a doubt my fault.

The Eternal Sailor Moon doll actually looks pretty fantastic. Besides that god-awful yellow hair color, I don't have any complaints. Her wings are gone. I don't know if I willed myself to remember something that never happened but I have the feeling I ripped them off at some point...

And sadly, I couldn't find any of the wands/rods.

Kasei ni Kawatte, Oshioki Yo
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AtTwelve34
Sailor Avalon
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : Celestial Guardian

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   26th July 2011, 1:17 pm

Confession: As much as I love the series, I've never truly been part of fandom. I follow no blogs or news sites, nor have I ever done extensive studies into how the merch and such is being distributed. I watch the anime on a variety of sites and have downloaded episodes for a monthly fee on a provider site. I feel pretty lost in some of the discussions here! I've also never read the manga in full, though I did try to read Sailor V once, but the translations were off somehow.
Back to top Go down
http://wynndfae.deviantart.com
SailorBAMF
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Her Royal Badass MF-er

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   27th July 2011, 7:35 am

Confession: I think Sailor Mercury is a pretty useless character passed Season 1 of the anime. I love her in the manga, but in the anime, she has like no personality or usefulness.

Thank you Sailor Mercury!
Back to top Go down
http://phantasmicmuse.tumblr.com
Sailor Cosmos
Founder Emeritus

Founder Emeritus

Title : Soldier of the Cosmos

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   27th July 2011, 9:43 am

@Sailor Avalon wrote:
Confession: As much as I love the series, I've never truly been part of fandom. I follow no blogs or news sites, nor have I ever done extensive studies into how the merch and such is being distributed. I watch the anime on a variety of sites and have downloaded episodes for a monthly fee on a provider site.

Yes! Before I joined Tumblr about three months ago, I had ZERO interaction with the fandom. Also, I have never looked on eBay and the like looking for merch. I DID visit a couple of SM news sites and blogs now and then, but nothing major.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Mileyangel321
SailorBAMF
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   27th July 2011, 9:47 am

@Sailor Cosmos wrote:
@Sailor Avalon wrote:
Confession: As much as I love the series, I've never truly been part of fandom. I follow no blogs or news sites, nor have I ever done extensive studies into how the merch and such is being distributed. I watch the anime on a variety of sites and have downloaded episodes for a monthly fee on a provider site.

Yes! Before I joined Tumblr about three months ago, I had ZERO interaction with the fandom. Also, I have never looked on eBay and the like looking for merch. I DID visit a couple of SM news sites and blogs now and then, but nothing major.

Same! Thank you Tumblr for being the gateway, haha. I like to look at SM sites for new perspectives on the manga and anime, it's always nice to know... Or to indulge in a ship or two, ahahaha.

Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   27th July 2011, 7:05 pm

@Sailor Cosmos wrote:

GAH! I am soooooo hooked on Tumblr right now! I don't even have an account but I check a few blogs daily. Every time I found a new one I liked (such as SailorFailures, DumplingHeadcanon, FuckYeahPGSMGirls) I ODed on the posts and spent hours clicking the "next page" button!

^I guess that ended up being a confession!

Another confession: I think the musical outfits are the most gaudy/tacky costumes I've ever seen... Like, way beyond Gaga caliber.

Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   27th July 2011, 8:17 pm

Confession: Though I may receive some heat for this, I don't very much care for PGSM. Each time I sit down to watch it, or when I happen to come across various clips from the show, I cannot take it seriously. I really cannot. I suppose I should say that I can't suspend my disbelief like I can with the anime and manga. Personally speaking, PGSM strikes me as awkward and silly; and when it tries to be dramatic, I find it to be melodramatic. From the stuffed cats to the stilted choreography of the fight scenes, there are too many distractions for me to enjoy the progression of the plot or characters. I'll also admit that I'm not enthralled with the notion of Dark Sailor Mercury and Minako Aino gradually dying from an incurable disease. If tropes like these are utilized, I hope they're done correctly, but instead PGSM tends to offend my sensibilities on this front. Overall, I don't think the atmosphere of Sailor Moon transfers over well to a live action format.

Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   27th July 2011, 11:50 pm

@Thereisnospoon303 wrote:
Confession: Though I may receive some heat for this, I don't very much care for PGSM. Each time I sit down to watch it, or when I happen to come across various clips from the show, I cannot take it seriously. I really cannot. I suppose I should say that I can't suspend my disbelief like I can with the anime and manga. Personally speaking, PGSM strikes me as awkward and silly; and when it tries to be dramatic, I find it to be melodramatic. From the stuffed cats to the stilted choreography of the fight scenes, there are too many distractions for me to enjoy the progression of the plot or characters. I'll also admit that I'm not enthralled with the notion of Dark Sailor Mercury and Minako Aino gradually dying from an incurable disease. If tropes like these are utilized, I hope they're done correctly, but instead PGSM tends to offend my sensibilities on this front. Overall, I don't think the atmosphere of Sailor Moon transfers over well to a live action format.

I hope my response is not one you will qualify as "heat" but I'm a decent supporter of PGSM.

Don't get me wrong, some parts of the series were just plain awful. I'll admit from the terrible effects to the tokusatsu format that this show can be a huge turn off to anyone who's not 5. Since stories can be conveyed through any media it's fair to say that the reason you would watch a television show is very much related to aesthetics. It's silly to have to disregard such a huge part of the television show to like it, but you might be surprised how much you can like the show if you do so.

I'm sure every PGSM fan feels the same as me. Though, I think it's worth mentioning to you that I'm am one of the most close-minded people you'll ever meet. I remember watching SM videos on youtube and seeing PGSM vids pop up in suggested. Every now and then I'd click on a link on a whim and immediately close out the video ("WTF this is HORRIBLE, WHY, JAPAN? WHY?"). I thought it was the crappiest thing ever and a downright insult to the series I loved.

And just a sidenote, I'm a huge Mars fan--that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Imagine my indignity when I googled "PGSM Mars" and came across this:

^It really was quite unfortunate. Keiko Kitagawa looked so YOUNG when she began filming. Even though she's older than me, when I saw the image I thought "how can this little girl properly portray Mars in her bad-ass-ness? blasphemy!" Physically, she matured a lot within the series. I just hate how misleading that one image (as well as her transformation sequence which was filmed early on) was.

Back to the point. PGSM has it's faults. Most TV shows do. Also, Japan isn't well-known for their live-action films. You get static cinematography, flashbacks out the whazoo, and producers tend to accept production flaws that other studios would never tolerate. Regardless, PGSM is still a show worth watching for the storylines. The character development is absolutely wonderful with most of the characters being much more similar to their manga counterparts. I promise the first five eps will be the hardest to watch but once you stop cringing and learn to ignore the fight sequences, you can appreciate the characters for who they are.

And being honest... I skip over a lot of fight sequences in the anime anyway so it's not a huge deal.

This post is long enough but I will direct you over to my topic in the Musicals and Live Action Forum, "The Concept of a Live Action Sailor Moon," which defends the potential for a future live action SM adaptation.

Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   28th July 2011, 12:40 am

Confession: I'm obsessed with Sailor Moon. SAY WHAT.

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   28th July 2011, 8:28 pm

Confession :

I want a black female cat so I can name her Luna... my parents have a black female cat, and I actually scolded my mother for not naming her luna >_<

Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   28th July 2011, 9:39 pm

Lady Galaxia wrote:
Confession :

I want a black female cat so I can name her Luna... my parents have a black female cat, and I actually scolded my mother for not naming her luna >_<

I kick myself for not naming my white cat Artemis, but now its hard not to see him as a Linx.

Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
thewhitemoonfamily
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lady Claudia of Crystal Tokyo

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   31st July 2011, 12:13 am

@Brit-chan wrote:
Confession: I'm obsessed with Sailor Moon. SAY WHAT.

GURL YOU ARE SO CLEVER. hahah I love you! Very Happy THAT'S MY CONFESSION TOO.

Back to top Go down
http://thewhitemoonfamily.tumblr.com http://thewhitemoonfamily.tumblr.com http://claujowrites.deviantart.com https://www.youtube.com/user/monkeejr?feature=mhee
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   7th August 2011, 4:22 pm

Okay I got a more legit one to add this time:

I still get goosebumps whenever I watch Sailor Moon transform. Especially her Moon Prism Power and Crystal Power ones.

Back to top Go down
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : GC's Official Loof Merrow

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   7th August 2011, 5:36 pm

Aquarii2011 wrote:
CONFESSION #1: I absolutely hate what DiC has done to Ami's name. Their idea to change it from "Mizuno" to "Anderson" was an EPIC FAIL. I don't know why they even changed it?!

Even though Cloverway kept her name, I won't let them off the hook just yet.

CONFESSION #2: Dear Cloverway, why would you replace Karen Bernstein with Liza Balkan to play Ami Mizuno?! It's not that her voice sounded bad, she made her sound too....too high-pitched and quiet. I'd rather be listening to Aya Hishikawa speak than hear "Mercury Aqua Rhapsody" being screamed so high and awkward.

Here here! My thoughts exactly. Very Happy I'm not a fan of dubbed, Americanized Ami at all.

Back to top Go down
http://www.lioddities.com
SailorStarWind
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : DEAD ACCOUNT left anime fandom to study

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   7th August 2011, 7:32 pm

@Brit-chan wrote:
Lady Galaxia wrote:
Confession :

I kick myself for not naming my white cat Artemis, but now its hard not to see him as a Linx.

I wanted to name our black cat "Luna" SO BADLY, but he turned out to be a boy. ^^;

DEAD ACCOUNT. Left anime fandom to study. It was fun, guys. Smile Hope things go well for you.
Back to top Go down
SailorBAMF
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   7th August 2011, 8:39 pm

@SailorStarWind wrote:
@Brit-chan wrote:
Lady Galaxia wrote:
Confession :

I wanted to name our black cat "Luna" SO BADLY, but he turned out to be a boy. ^^;

DOESN'T MATTER!

Back to top Go down
electricBonBon
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   7th August 2011, 9:07 pm

My confession is that Mamoru was my absolutely first love - I was about .. 6 years old back then, I think XD

(Oh my god, SailorBAMF - I'm happy that here's someone who likes posting GIFs as much as I do! XD)
Back to top Go down
SailorStarWind
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : DEAD ACCOUNT left anime fandom to study

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   7th August 2011, 9:15 pm

@SailorBAMF wrote:
@SailorStarWind wrote:
@Brit-chan wrote:
Lady Galaxia wrote:
Confession :

DOESN'T MATTER!

Well... It *kind of* did, because Mom decided on another name... >_> Also, if I called him Luna, it would have been REALLY weird with his personality, anyway, so it's just as well... My old cat DID have a Luna-like personality, but the black kitty is more like a hyper, super-macho version of Minako...

EDIT ADD: I would like to thank you guys for the chicken disco gif, though. Any thread containing this image is a win. I can't believe I've lived so long without viewing this chicken...

DEAD ACCOUNT. Left anime fandom to study. It was fun, guys. Smile Hope things go well for you.
Back to top Go down
Niveouslily
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : All the wrong shades, on the right page

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   8th August 2011, 5:17 am

Sailor stars is more nostalgic to me than the first op. :X
Back to top Go down
http://pinksugarheart.tumblr.com
Rachael
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   9th August 2011, 1:19 am

CONFESSION: Okay. I've really, really tried to like it, and not be biased when someone says they're into it, but...I do not like the SeiyaxUsagi pairing. At all. Well, at least, not anime SeiyaxUsagi. Manga SeiyaxUsagi would be okay.

Part of it's that if Usagi wound up with Seiya, Chibiusa would cease to exist. Part of it is Seiya's behavior in the anime. But can pair up Usagi with just about anybody else--Minako, Rei, Haruka, Demand, Al, Naru, Umino, or even Yaten or Taiki.

It's certain parts of the fandom (nobody here, AFAIK). I get so sick of the Mamoru- and Chibiusa-bashing and the insistence that Seiya is male--not because Seiya identifies as male, but because she's hotter that way or because if she were with Usagi then they would be LESBIANS and EWW LESBIANS.

And I don't mean that someone can't dislike Mamoru or Chibiusa. It's when they start saying things that aren't true ("Mamoru is a cruel, cold-hearted jerk who's abusive to Usagi!" or "Chibiusa wants to have sex with her dad! EWWW!") that I get ticked off. I mean, I don't like Seiya that much in the anime, but I don't think she's a horrible person or that Usagi hates her or anything.

So, yeah. Don't like that pairing.

Ahhh, that felt so good to say!
Back to top Go down
electricBonBon
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Confession Time!   9th August 2011, 7:40 am

I like Seiya & Usagi, especially in the anime, but I dislike people who are bashing Mamoru all the time, too. Yes, he's not my favourite, but he's just .. well, just Mamoru. He's the ONE. And though I really love Seiya & Usagi I think it's good that Usagi didn't leave Mamoru for him in the anime - there were no signs that Usagi would even THINK of something like that, anyway.
I mean - for Seiya & Usagi there are enough people who writes fanfictions or draw dojinshi etc.
And that's good! In some people's fantasy they're in love with each other and I think that's a good thing and doesn't harm anyone.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who likes BOTH sides. When I tell people who are in love with Seiya & Usagi that I think it's good that Usagi and Mamoru stayed together until the end, they just are like ".. WHAT", and the same thing happens when I tell fans of Mamoru & Usagi that I like the pairing Seiya & Usagi, too. >_>

Well, anyways. I'm talking too much. XD

"You can spend the rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the rest of mine with you. I have to live on. Alone. That's the curse of the Time Lords."
Back to top Go down

Sailor Moon Confession Time!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: General Sailor Moon Discussion-