HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 the new manga

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

avatar

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.
Posts : 12216
Join date : 2011-09-15
Age : 29
Location : NE Texas


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   13th March 2012, 10:39 pm

Out todaaaaaay!

___________________________

Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Senior Member
Small Lady Emeritus

avatar

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom
Posts : 21410
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 30
Location : Lafayette, LA


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   13th March 2012, 10:40 pm

Yaaaaaay!

___________________________




Current AV by: Moonlight Dreaming
Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
Kara
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Hierophant Princess
Posts : 172
Join date : 2011-11-10
Age : 24
Location : West Virginia, USA


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   14th March 2012, 9:47 am

Gaaah, I have to wait until Friday before I can order mine! The wait will be the death of me.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis
Posts : 1585
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 34
Location : Greensboro, NC


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   15th March 2012, 1:14 pm

So a month ago, I got a surprise gift and it happened to be all of the 3 current Sailor Moon volumes that had come out at that time. This was awesome because, despite the reviews, I was looking forward to re-reading the manga at my leasure.

So here are some of my thoughts ^^

I love the fact that instead of using the establish dub English names, we have the Japanese names for the main characters for once. While I had no issue with some of the English dub names, it was pretty nice to read an official version with the names correct.

As for the background SFX, I actually like it when these are left in the manga and just a small translation is near it tell me what it is. I think it adds a lot of character to the manga and I'm glad they left it in.

Throught the manga, I have noticed some misspellings, inconsistent translations, and some areas where I preferred the Tokyopop translation when comparing it to another official release(i.e.: attack names). There are also some uses of terms that are almost dead/outdated to be used in as a translation for this generation. While I am estatic that Sailor Moon has returned to the United States, I'm a little disappointed in the QA. I can see now where people are saying that the manga seems more like a textbook read at times. It seemed that the translator was under some really strick deadlines, seeing that this did come from a official release.

The issue that got me most was the inconsistency between Mr./Mrs./Miss. and the honorifics. I do not mind either way if a translator would rather use the honorifics than the titles that we use in the English language but it was litterally a mixture of both. XD There were some areas where characters had "-san" and some areas where characters had the "Mr./Mrs./Miss." in the new manga translation editions. I tried really really really really hard to ignore this but it jsut stuck out like a sore thumb and to me made it a hard read sometimes.

Minus my negatives, overall, I'm still pretty please with the manga. While its definitely not the best translation out there when it comes to manga, I think its still enjoyable to read. ^^

___________________________

Back to top Go down
http://paprika-studios.deviantart.com https://paprika-studios.tumblr.com/ http://paprika-studios.deviantart.com http://youtube.com/paprikastudios
KittyCMoon
Pyramidal Crystal

avatar

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Kitty-Chan
Posts : 2348
Join date : 2011-07-21
Age : 26
Location : Laredo


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   4th April 2012, 7:43 pm

@Apple Stardust wrote:
I have it, and I'm almost finished with Sailor Moon, and I've already finished V. There's nothing wrong with it imo! I mean, when they say things like "Prince-sama", it gets silly...but I think people are being way too picky. Hello people, Mixx translations? lol

I couldn't agree more. I personally am in love with these mangas.

___________________________

Siggie by Tsuki_no_Kagayaki and Lust
Back to top Go down
http://kittycmoon.tumblr.com/
Crystal
Pyramidal Crystal

avatar

Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 928
Join date : 2012-04-07
Age : 28
Location : Germany


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   10th April 2012, 4:14 pm

@thewhitemoonfamily wrote:

I agree that EVERYONE should have an opinion about
the manga. But at the same time, it is VERY disheartening that so many
people have been waiting for this moment and all they see is bashing
about "bump-head" or a couple of "samas."

here in germany also some anime-dubs (like Madoka or Vampire Knight) used "Sama" "Chan" "San" "Kun" "Senpai" bla bla. i didnt find that dramatic oO


and about the grammar:
did you all just buy only the Sailor Moon Manga? never heard about the classical "first printing errors" Wink
i saw some printing errors in my Mirai Nikki Mangas too but its nothing special because it's just the first printing ^^

___________________________


Back to top Go down
http://goldenwitchmami.tumblr.com/
LadyAries
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-04-05
Age : 28
Location : 'Murrica


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   10th April 2012, 6:41 pm

@Apple Stardust wrote:
I haven't read all the manga, sadly. Just the
ones I had, my few Mixx translations. I tried reading it online, but
reading online for a long time gets me in a bad mood. xD

I was surprised how fast it was! I never realised so much filler is in the anime! But I still love it.

I'm watching the subbed right now along with reading the Manga. SO MUCH FILLER!

Also, Sailor Moon Kodansha prints, are my first mangas.
Back to top Go down
http://blog.ganold.net
Crystal
Pyramidal Crystal

avatar

Pyramidal Crystal

Posts : 928
Join date : 2012-04-07
Age : 28
Location : Germany


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   10th April 2012, 7:09 pm

@LadyAries wrote:
SO MUCH FILLER!

75% of the whole anime are filler, just sayin Very Happy

___________________________


Back to top Go down
http://goldenwitchmami.tumblr.com/
LadyAries
Star Seed


Star Seed

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-04-05
Age : 28
Location : 'Murrica


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   10th April 2012, 8:48 pm

Minene Uryuu wrote:
@LadyAries wrote:
SO MUCH FILLER!

75% of the whole anime are filler, just sayin Very Happy

Thanks for the warning! Cool
Back to top Go down
http://blog.ganold.net
Brit-chan
Senior Member
Small Lady Emeritus

avatar

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom
Posts : 21410
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 30
Location : Lafayette, LA


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   11th April 2012, 5:54 pm

Minene Uryuu wrote:
and about the grammar:
did you all just buy only the Sailor Moon Manga? never heard about the classical "first printing errors" Wink
i saw some printing errors in my Mirai Nikki Mangas too but its nothing special because it's just the first printing ^^

I own a majority of the original Mixx/Tokyopop manga releases and while there are some not so great thigns about it, there weren't grammatical errors like there are here with Kodansha's release. A lot of the things in Kodansha's release are things that could have and should have easily been caught by an editor. its small things that I notice while reading and go "wow i would have lost a whole 2 points on an essay in school if i had left that in my paper" and this is a professional publication. -_-;


But I still like them a lot. As i've probably stated so many times before, its nice to have manga volumes that AREN'T falling apart and I can read them without worrying about accidentally breaking my manga. xD

___________________________




Current AV by: Moonlight Dreaming
Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net http://britchan.tumblr.com/ http://brit-chan.deviantart.com
brrrandiZZLe
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Brandi, the official Usagi of the forums ^.^
Posts : 2757
Join date : 2012-06-18
Age : 24
Location : Texas


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   18th June 2012, 7:45 pm

Small Lady wrote:
A lot of the things in Kodansha's release are things that could have and should have easily been caught by an editor. its small things that I notice while reading and go "wow i would have lost a whole 2 points on an essay in school if i had left that in my paper" and this is a professional publication. -_-;

I KNOW! I'm absolutely in love with the new translations but there are plenty of mistakes, there's a part where one is missing an apostrophe, and the translation notes are very unprofessional as well. But it doesn't take away from my reading Smile
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoon-love.tumblr.com http://www.sailormoon-love.tumblr.com
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi
Posts : 2247
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 22
Location : Maryland


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   18th June 2012, 8:01 pm

@brrrandiZZLe wrote:
Small Lady wrote:
A lot of the things in Kodansha's release are things that could have and should have easily been caught by an editor. its small things that I notice while reading and go "wow i would have lost a whole 2 points on an essay in school if i had left that in my paper" and this is a professional publication. -_-;

I KNOW! I'm absolutely in love with the new translations but there are plenty of mistakes, there's a part where one is missing an apostrophe, and the translation notes are very unprofessional as well. But it doesn't take away from my reading Smile


Yeah I don't remember which volume it was but one of the translation notes was talking about science or something and it basically
said..I don't know what it is and I'm not looking it up...so yeah whatever. I mean I understand not wanting to sit there and explain the science behind(I think it was the names of enemies or something) but, I think the way they handled it was kind of unprofessional.

___________________________

Back to top Go down
http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
brrrandiZZLe
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Brandi, the official Usagi of the forums ^.^
Posts : 2757
Join date : 2012-06-18
Age : 24
Location : Texas


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   18th June 2012, 8:42 pm

Lovely Lexi wrote:
@brrrandiZZLe wrote:
Small Lady wrote:
A lot of the things in Kodansha's release are things that could have and should have easily been caught by an editor. its small things that I notice while reading and go "wow i would have lost a whole 2 points on an essay in school if i had left that in my paper" and this is a professional publication. -_-;

I KNOW! I'm absolutely in love with the new translations but there are plenty of mistakes, there's a part where one is missing an apostrophe, and the translation notes are very unprofessional as well. But it doesn't take away from my reading Smile


Yeah I don't remember which volume it was but one of the translation notes was talking about science or something and it basically
said..I don't know what it is and I'm not looking it up...so yeah whatever. I mean I understand not wanting to sit there and explain the science behind(I think it was the names of enemies or something) but, I think the way they handled it was kind of unprofessional.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT! I think it was in volume 3 or 4, the manga referenced some chemical and made a joke about it and the translator said like I don't know go look it up hahaha
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoon-love.tumblr.com http://www.sailormoon-love.tumblr.com
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi
Posts : 2247
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 22
Location : Maryland


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   18th June 2012, 10:13 pm

@brrrandiZZLe wrote:
Lovely Lexi wrote:
@brrrandiZZLe wrote:
Small Lady wrote:
A lot of the things in Kodansha's release are things that could have and should have easily been caught by an editor. its small things that I notice while reading and go "wow i would have lost a whole 2 points on an essay in school if i had left that in my paper" and this is a professional publication. -_-;

I KNOW! I'm absolutely in love with the new translations but there are plenty of mistakes, there's a part where one is missing an apostrophe, and the translation notes are very unprofessional as well. But it doesn't take away from my reading Smile


Yeah I don't remember which volume it was but one of the translation notes was talking about science or something and it basically
said..I don't know what it is and I'm not looking it up...so yeah whatever. I mean I understand not wanting to sit there and explain the science behind(I think it was the names of enemies or something) but, I think the way they handled it was kind of unprofessional.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT! I think it was in volume 3 or 4, the manga referenced some chemical and made a joke about it and the translator said like I don't know go look it up hahaha


yeah I think it was vol.4, I read that and I was like thanks...for doing your job...NOT -__-, they could have at least summed it up or something. They wouldn't have needed to go to far into detail. They could have been like it's a chemical..its found here..and its usually this color..the end. BUT NO lol

___________________________

Back to top Go down
http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
brrrandiZZLe
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Brandi, the official Usagi of the forums ^.^
Posts : 2757
Join date : 2012-06-18
Age : 24
Location : Texas


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   18th June 2012, 10:23 pm

Lovely Lexi wrote:

yeah I think it was vol.4, I read that and I was like thanks...for doing your job...NOT -__-, they could have at least summed it up or something. They wouldn't have needed to go to far into detail. They could have been like it's a chemical..its found here..and its usually this color..the end. BUT NO lol

Hahah or they could have at least like written something really vague and tried to make it sound like they knew what they were talking about... or they could have made something up for all we care :p
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoon-love.tumblr.com http://www.sailormoon-love.tumblr.com
Elly
Webmistress Emeritus

avatar

Webmistress Emeritus

Posts : 520
Join date : 2011-07-03
Age : 30
Location : New York


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   19th June 2012, 6:14 am

Or they could have done a basic google search and provided the information, like any competent translator would have done.

I work as a professional Japanese->English translator and the new Kodansha volumes make me PISSED. I can understand why Tokyopop sucked - in the 1990s anime and manga was only beginning to be published in America and the companies didn't really know what they were doing. Twenty years later, publishers of manga should have a clue about what they are doing. It's really ridiculous. =\

___________________________

Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis
Posts : 1585
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 34
Location : Greensboro, NC


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   19th June 2012, 7:26 am

@Sailor Mars wrote:
Or they could have done a basic google search and provided the information, like any competent translator would have done.

I work as a professional Japanese->English translator and the new Kodansha volumes make me PISSED. I can understand why Tokyopop sucked - in the 1990s anime and manga was only beginning to be published in America and the companies didn't really know what they were doing. Twenty years later, publishers of manga should have a clue about what they are doing. It's really ridiculous. =\

Thank you!! I absolutely agree!!! ^^

___________________________

Back to top Go down
http://paprika-studios.deviantart.com https://paprika-studios.tumblr.com/ http://paprika-studios.deviantart.com http://youtube.com/paprikastudios
brrrandiZZLe
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Brandi, the official Usagi of the forums ^.^
Posts : 2757
Join date : 2012-06-18
Age : 24
Location : Texas


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   19th June 2012, 7:51 am

Still worth reading, though Smile
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoon-love.tumblr.com http://www.sailormoon-love.tumblr.com
Elly
Webmistress Emeritus

avatar

Webmistress Emeritus

Posts : 520
Join date : 2011-07-03
Age : 30
Location : New York


PostSubject: Re: the new manga   19th June 2012, 7:55 am

I'm still buying them for my collection but the translation still bothers me. To each their own! Smile

___________________________

Back to top Go down
 

the new manga

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Manga-