The Galaxy Cauldron
Hello! We are a large forum! So here are some things to keep in mind when visiting!

❤️ Not all forums are visible to guests!

❤️ We offer a Dark and Light theme! You can Change it at the very bottom of the forums, on the left hand side

❤️ You can minimize sections that you don't visit/want to see by using the +/- signs location on Category titles.

HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

The darker aspects of Sailor Moon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nekosenshi
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: The darker aspects of Sailor Moon   28th January 2016, 12:35 pm

I agree with everyone. Sailor Moon isn't as light as it appears to people who aren't familiar with the story. All they see are brightly colored, young characters who have heart symbols on their sailor suits.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: The darker aspects of Sailor Moon   28th January 2016, 3:15 pm

In regards to comparing it to madoka, I'd have to say the manga fits the entire grimdark theme more then the 90s anime. Fast paced, little breathing room, one nightmarish disaster after another-that's what made madoka stand out more. Heck, most lighthearted moments ended after episode 3, leaving the other 3/4ths of the story full of pain, misery and woe. The 90s anime was more cheerful and upbeat, and even the manga had some instances of colorful and light scenes-more then madoka did and more frequently, anyways.

GC's Official Sailor Cosmos
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Princess Sailor Mai
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Galaxy Cauldron's Official Princess Inspirit!
Location : In the middle of nowhere between part-time work and needing a full-time career

PostSubject: Re: The darker aspects of Sailor Moon   28th January 2016, 11:37 pm

I do agree that Sailor Moon, especially the manga, is darker than what most people think of it as.  This is especially true from those who viewed the cut version of the show in the US(like me).  When I was watching it as a child, I didn't think it was all that dark cause there were so many bright, to a certain extent, characters in it.  But now that I'm older and read the manga I can see the darker aspects of it.
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: The darker aspects of Sailor Moon   17th April 2016, 6:44 pm

I recently did a full rewatch the original anime (the VKLL english subs)....and yikes....it is SO much darker than what I remembered as a kid. I guess you see as much darkness as you are ready to see eh? 

The episode with the chess match between Mercury and Berthier got me. That wasn't a chess match at the end, that was a long drawn out execution sequence. Yeeeesh.
Back to top Go down
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Nephrite

PostSubject: Re: The darker aspects of Sailor Moon   18th April 2016, 8:10 am

Honestly I feel like the manga is a lot darker than the 90s anime. It showed creatures getting destroyed and like Jadeite was burned by Rei @.@ That didn't make it into the anime!
Back to top Go down
http://misswildfire.tumblr.com/
Bommiie
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: The darker aspects of Sailor Moon   19th April 2016, 3:12 pm

I've always thought the manga was pretty dark. Even the 90s anime had its dark scenes and moments.
Fun fact: Two years ago they played the 90s anime on portuguese tv again and parents filled complaints because the show was too creepy for kids, they ended up rescheduling it to 11pm. Funny, because that didn't happen in the 90s. I've to add, the portuguese version barely had any cuts compared to other dubs I've heard about.
Also, lets not forget about the PGSM! Back in the day, I was so surprised when Serenity turned out to be a "not-so-sweet" character and it made the show much heavier than, for example, the 90s show.

Back to top Go down
http://piinkcompact.fairy-fountain.net/ http://piinkcompact.tumblr.com/

The darker aspects of Sailor Moon

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: General Sailor Moon Discussion-