HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 The manga's hits and misses.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of da Norf.
Posts : 3022
Join date : 2014-02-26
Age : 23
Location : Who knows.


PostSubject: The manga's hits and misses.   13th September 2014, 8:09 pm

One thing I've noticed with Crystal so far is that instead of fixing some of the manga's flaws it seems to be highlighting them in my opinion. So basically I wanted to create this thread to point out some of the flaws of the manga while also pointing out what it really did well.

I know a lot people don't enjoy the manga's pace but I don't really have an issue with it. The only time I had a problem with it in Crystal was in Rei's episode. I would say my biggest issue is with the characters - everyone seems to be overshadowed by Usagi. In the manga everyone does have their chance in the spotlight but I feel like it's never enough to have some really great development. I don't think Naoko is at fault for this since she was on a tight schedule but it's still something I just really dislike. Because of this I wished Crystal found a balance between the manga and the anime. It's almost like Rei and Ami aren't that memorable since they have very few lines. Makoto's introduction was amazing because I believe they did good with balancing the plot while still fleshing out Makoto. (Also did anyone read the version of the manga where Makoto tells Nephrite to F*** off for fooling her?)

I think some of the best things about the manga for me is the lore, the art, and Usamamo.

The lore: From the Silver Mil. to the Galaxy Cauldron I just find all this so interesting yet it's ALL SHROUDED IN MYSTERY. I wish Naoko would just write a giant book filled with all her ideas about the senshi across the universe, Queen Serenity, Crystal Tokyo, etc because I would cherish it so much. All her ideas are so creative and I wish they were expanded upon. She could honestly make spinoffs about any one of these ideas and I would read them.

The art: I love her art! It's honestly the reason I started reading the manga which got me into the fandom. I know a lot of people diss her art and she does so sometimes herself but I think it's beautiful.

Usamamo: I've never watched PGSM or all the myus but I still think that the manga will always do their relationship the most justice (and probably Crystal too since it's following the manga so closely). I never was a shipper and probably will never be a real hardcore one but their love in the manga is something no one can deny.

Spoiler:
 

The plot: I decided to add this one on at the last minute. For what it is...I enjoy how the plot moves along in the manga. I think the speed of the manga's plot often works in its favor because I can sit down, grab the first boxset, and read up to the Infinity arc in a short amount of time. The story is engaging and can be emotional depending on the person reading. Of course there are things that I downright hate:

Spoiler:
 
but overall I think it's great.

Anyway, I do think there are some things that are just done better in the manga (Ex. Dream Arc. Don't really like the Arc but I think the ending is great and would love to see it animated) while there are things that the anime did that are leagues better than the manga (Character development). 

So what are some of things you love and hate in the manga? How would you fix the things you dislike? (One of the issues with the manga seems to be time. I think if she had more time to work on things a lot of the issues with the manga could have been easily fixed.)

___________________________

The wolf-sister to Diana. ♥ The Marsmellow: very crispy, much burnt.


Last edited by Yunie on 23rd December 2014, 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://tifa.co.vu/
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

avatar

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™
Posts : 8932
Join date : 2013-07-25
Age : 30
Location : Indonesia


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   13th September 2014, 9:53 pm

My biggest issue with the manga is how things seem to happen willy-nilly without explanation or even a logical manner. Like the whole transformation-pen-out-of-arcade-machine thing that raises so many questions. Or how Mercury could bend space or whatever it was she did that one time in Crown. How the senshi could fly. Or teleport whenever they want to, or send object through time and space, or how there doesn't seem to be a limit to their powers. It seems like every other day the senshi can do something new when it's convenient and that kind of frustrates me? I like clear rules and limitations and explanations. Maybe it's just personal preference though.

That said, I do like the focused plot that the manga has. I definitely like the way they handled the Dream Arc better. And yes, all the mythological aspects and the creative ideas, tying fairy tales and legends and myths into the whole saga... I love all of it.

But that plot also does rushes quickly like most people say. And I get that because it's manga, it's a different medium, and I think it's absolutely the right way to go for it. I wouldn't want a never-ending manga either and I think 18 volumes back in those days was quite a lot? I don't like the anime's formulaic victim/monster of the week system, but it DOES give way to more character development. I definitely feel that I get more character development out of the side stories than the main manga. And while I do wish we get more of them, there ARE a lot of characters. Yeah, they all blur together when they're not Sailor Moon for the most part, and strangely enough I feel like the Outers got more development in the manga than the Inners. Still, it's the format, and I think I just wish Naoko had released more side stories to let us get to know everyone better.

The romance: They definitely portrayed Usagi/Mamoru very well. I love how interdependent (in a good way) they are, and that even though Usagi is far stronger than Mamoru, she always draws strength from him as well. I love how he's constantly there in the final battles with her. The anime sidelines him more I think.

The art: Yes I love it as well. I don't know why people hate it. I find it elegant and beautiful and I just want more colored art ;_;

___________________________

  
Avatar & signature by Diana
 ♥️ ♥️
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of da Norf.
Posts : 3022
Join date : 2014-02-26
Age : 23
Location : Who knows.


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   14th September 2014, 8:59 am

@Sailor Mercury wrote:
My biggest issue with the manga is how things seem to happen willy-nilly without explanation or even a logical manner. Like the whole transformation-pen-out-of-arcade-machine thing that raises so many questions. Or how Mercury could bend space or whatever it was she did that one time in Crown. How the senshi could fly. Or teleport whenever they want to, or send object through time and space, or how there doesn't seem to be a limit to their powers. It seems like every other day the senshi can do something new when it's convenient and that kind of frustrates me? I like clear rules and limitations and explanations. Maybe it's just personal preference though.

That's a great point. I can't even count the times they have just been floating in the air simply just because they "can". That's one of the things I disliked about the climax about the Infinity Arc. They are literally just floating in the air above Tokyo if I'm remembering correctly. This also brings up the issue with how the senshi's powers are handled in the manga and even the anime. They are either too strong or too weak. That's one thing in Crystal I noticed: When Mars did her attack it was so powerful! Like didn't you just become a senshi two days ago? So I don't think Crystal will be finding that balance either. At least the attacks will look cool I guess. There is also the scene where Usagi becomes Princess Serenity and the Silver Crystal appears. Weren't her and Mamoru just floating in the air the entire time? Another weird scene.

Speaking of the Silver Crystal I kinda want to touch on it again because in a way I do see it as a flaw. I find it strange that everyone seems to have heard of the "Legendary Silver Crystal" yet there weren't any attacks prior to Usagi awakening as Sailor Moon. Did her awakening set off some chain where people can "sense" the Crystal's power now? What about the Moon Kingdom? Did Queen Serenity face such problems too? Plus how strong is it? I mean isn't that whole "Don't use the Silver Crystal or you will die Usagi!" an anime thing only? I don't remember that being in the manga. She seemed to use it's power quite frequently. Also why did Usagi get the actual Silver Crystal and not get her own version of it like Chibs did? Uaagggh so many questions.

___________________________

The wolf-sister to Diana. ♥ The Marsmellow: very crispy, much burnt.
Back to top Go down
http://tifa.co.vu/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9844
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 27
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   14th September 2014, 9:26 am

The silver crystal bothers me quite a bit. The whole don't use it or you will die thing. Queen Serenity used it and died, but what about Sailor Moon? What did Luna give her nine lives or something?

The pace bothers me a lot in the manga. I'm not asking for the manga to be super long, but it would have been nice if we had a few chapters here and there that slowed down the plot a little bit. While the side stories are nice I just wish we had actual character development in the main plot.

I liked the first arc and Dream arc the best. I think they're the strongest arcs in the manga. As for the others bleh.

I'm not a big fan of the Black Moon arc. I just don't like the idea of Crystal Tokyo and I want answers about the future. I hate how it's so vaguely explained. I also feel like Chibiusa isn't used to her full potential (this goes for the whole manga storyline and anime storyline.) While I like the idea of a child going to past to visit her parents I just feel like it's a wasted opportunity. I really like the idea that Chibiusa is trapped her mother's shadow, but did she have to same birthday and name as her mother? I just feel like Naoko could have done more with her character. I do like how she shines in the Dream arc both in the manga and anime. 

The Infinity arc. Am I the only fan that doesn't like cyborg Saturn? I just find it random and out of place. I like how in the anime she's human still. Everything else is just bleh to me. I think the Outers are meaner in the manga than in the anime. Yeah the Outers are mean to the Inners in the anime, but in senshi form only. In civilian form they're nice to them until they figure out each other's secrets.   I just find Neptune and Uranus being very rude to Usagi until later in the story. 

THE STARS ARC!!!

Omg I think this is a big miss for the manga. Everything happens way too fast and the senshi from other galaxies are wasted here. I know Naoko had little time, but she can barely handle writing 10 senshi so why did she think she could add more in? I really like the Starlights, but they're just there. I like how the anime they play a bigger role (well it would been nice if it was tone down a bit, but still!) to the storyline and go to the final battle. The ending is good. I'll give it that.

I like Naoko's art as well. It's very pretty, but I will admit there are some pieces I don't like. For example I hate the new manga covers. I just find them ugly. Razz

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

avatar

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™
Posts : 8932
Join date : 2013-07-25
Age : 30
Location : Indonesia


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   14th September 2014, 9:31 am

Yeah, most of their battles happen mid-air. IDGI.

I think prior to Usagi manifesting the Crystal no one knew it existed (except for Beryl/Metalia who knew about it from SilMil). The Black Moon clan came from the future which explained how they knew, but Pharaoh 90 only detected its power upon entering earth if I recall correctly. Then Nehelenia knew it from Queen Serenity too and... Galaxia was just collecting all sailor crystals basically.

The whole dying thing is only an anime problem if I recall. In PGSM if she doesn't control it, it can destroy the entire world so yeah...

I enjoyed the S arc immensely myself, I actually liked Uranus and Neptune's introduction and the confusion of them being another senshi and Tux (Haruka what are you doing with that cape xD).

___________________________

  
Avatar & signature by Diana
 ♥️ ♥️
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9844
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 27
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   14th September 2014, 9:41 am

Wait I thought Queen Serenity died from using the crystal in the manga.

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

avatar

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™
Posts : 8932
Join date : 2013-07-25
Age : 30
Location : Indonesia


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   14th September 2014, 9:44 am

Oh yeah maybe (it was never explicitly stated? She might have also been weakened from all the epic battle I think?) but Usagi never had that threat as far as I can remember.

___________________________

  
Avatar & signature by Diana
 ♥️ ♥️
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Sailor CJ
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Galaxia
Posts : 859
Join date : 2014-07-27
Age : 26
Location : The Engine of the SMC S1/S2 Hate Train


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   14th September 2014, 4:16 pm

Having just watched the end of S, there was one particular scene I think the manga did phenomenally better over the anime. I'm talking about Sailor Saturn's awakening.

In the anime, she kind of shows up, jumps into Pharaoh 90 and we don't see a lick of her power or what she's capable of. In the manga, she actually goes and ahead and does what she's supposed to do. She outright destroys the planet and we get to see it in action.



I mean, look at that art. It's incredible.

As far as the people who complain about things happening for no reason, I'm actually with you guys on this one. What I fear for Crystal though is that it doesn't seem to realize that the Sailor Moon manga is paced on emotions. There usually isn't a logical task or puzzle for Sailor Moon to fulfill to defeat her enemy. Her actions are dictated by the emotions and mood of the scene, which can understandably frustrate a lot of readers. I personally like it though.

___________________________



Back to top Go down
http://ourinkedobsession.com
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of da Norf.
Posts : 3022
Join date : 2014-02-26
Age : 23
Location : Who knows.


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   14th September 2014, 8:30 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
THE STARS ARC!!!

Omg I think this is a big miss for the manga. Everything happens way too fast and the senshi from other galaxies are wasted here. I know Naoko had little time, but she can barely handle writing 10 senshi so why did she think she could add more in? I really like the Starlights, but they're just there. I like how the anime they play a bigger role (well it would been nice if it was tone down a bit, but still!) to the storyline and go to the final battle. The ending is good. I'll give it that.

Stars is probably my favorite arc more because of how epic it is. You also see how far she is come; that she is willing to not destroy the cauldron and live with chaos. This is the same girl who killed herself (I hate that scene so much) in the first arc. I find it amazing. However, I do agree with you. There are a lot of things I don't quite get and one of them is Sailor Cosmos. The fact that she says that "even she doesn't know who Cosmos is" just sounds stupid and it seems like bad writing in my opinion. I honestly will never believe Cosmos is Usagi - although I respect anyone who does.

@Sailor Mercury wrote:
Oh yeah maybe (it was never explicitly stated? She might have also been weakened from all the epic battle I think?) but Usagi never had that threat as far as I can remember.

Yeah I always assumed she was already dying based on the scene in the anime and that she was just using the last of her power.

@Sailor CJ wrote:
Having just watched the end of S, there was one particular scene I think the manga did phenomenally better over the anime. I'm talking about Sailor Saturn's awakening.

In the anime, she kind of shows up, jumps into Pharaoh 90 and we don't see a lick of her power or what she's capable of. In the manga, she actually goes and ahead and does what she's supposed to do. She outright destroys the planet and we get to see it in action.

As far as the people who complain about things happening for no reason, I'm actually with you guys on this one. What I fear for Crystal though is that it doesn't seem to realize that the Sailor Moon manga is paced on emotions. There usually isn't a logical task or puzzle for Sailor Moon to fulfill to defeat her enemy. Her actions are dictated by the emotions and mood of the scene, which can understandably frustrate a lot of readers. I personally like it though.

Yeah I think Pluto and Saturn were shafted in the anime. I haven't watched R and S yet (yes I'm actually watching through the anime for the first time) but I'm aware of and dislike how they took very important scenes away from them. (Black Lady turning back into Chibs after seeing Pluto die and Saturn's transformation and what happens after.)

Also I like your point about the battles being based on emotion because that's pretty much what happens in episode 5. Jupiter's anger (and Usagi's speech) is what pushes her on to fight.

___________________________

The wolf-sister to Diana. ♥ The Marsmellow: very crispy, much burnt.


Last edited by Yunie on 23rd December 2014, 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://tifa.co.vu/
Sailor CJ
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Galaxia
Posts : 859
Join date : 2014-07-27
Age : 26
Location : The Engine of the SMC S1/S2 Hate Train


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   15th September 2014, 5:48 am

Yunie wrote:
Yamichan16 wrote:
THE STARS ARC!!!

Omg I think this is a big miss for the manga. Everything happens way too fast and the senshi from other galaxies are wasted here. I know Naoko had little time, but she can barely handle writing 10 senshi so why did she think she could add more in? I really like the Starlights, but they're just there. I like how the anime they play a bigger role (well it would been nice if it was tone down a bit, but still!) to the storyline and go to the final battle. The ending is good. I'll give it that.

Stars is probably my favorite arc more because of how epic it is. You also see how far she is come; that she is willing to not destroy the cauldron and live with chaos. This is the same girl who killed herself (I hate that scene so much) in the first arc. I find t amazing. However, I do agree with you. There are a lot of things I don't quite is Sailor Cosmos. The fact that she says that "even she doesn't know who Cosmos is" just sounds stupid and it seems like bad writing in my opinion. I honestly will never believe Cosmos is Usagi - although I respect anyone who does.

I'm with you on this one. I agree with Yamichan that Stars could have been paced more effectively with maybe another 5 chapters of content. Scouts like Heavy Metal Papillion simply doesn't get enough screen time. But hell, I love Stars and think it's the best critical thing in Sailor Moon to date.

As Yumie was saying though, Sailor Moon's character development over the series simply shines. My favorite line is when she admits to Galaxia that she was never fighting for justice, but for a world she and her friends could share together. Although I agree that the Starlights had better luck in the anime, it's amazing how Kakuya shines in the manga. Speaking of character development, it's awesome to see Sailor Chibi Moon take on a leadership role and actually assist Sailor Moon with her own team. That was baller!

There's a lot of stupid stuff surrounding the Sailor Cosmos thing. I've always liked the mystery about her until Takeuchi up and admitted in a later interview that she was supposed to be Sailor Moon. Way to kill the drama, haha!

To me, she's one of two things. The first is that she's Sailor Moon from a long distant future fighting Chaos again as a result of her actions here. Being so far removed from that time she had failed to understand her past self's decisions. The second is that she's a Sailor Moon or the equivalent from another universe (after all, how come Neo Queen Serenity can't meet her past self but Cosmos can?). She goes to help her succeed where she failed as a means of coping with her loss.

___________________________



Back to top Go down
http://ourinkedobsession.com
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

avatar

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™
Posts : 8932
Join date : 2013-07-25
Age : 30
Location : Indonesia


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   15th September 2014, 5:53 am

Did she ever say that? I only know that Naoko said she's not sure herself who Cosmos is. That's why everyone speculates. I've never heard of her saying she's Sailor Moon directly. o.o

To me, she's probably a future Sailor Moon, just like Chibiusa might eventually become Sailor Moon instead of Sailor Chibi Moon. She's like a descendant really far into the future.

___________________________

  
Avatar & signature by Diana
 ♥️ ♥️
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Sailor CJ
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Galaxia
Posts : 859
Join date : 2014-07-27
Age : 26
Location : The Engine of the SMC S1/S2 Hate Train


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   15th September 2014, 5:58 am

@Sailor Mercury wrote:
Did she ever say that? I only know that Naoko said she's not sure herself who Cosmos is. That's why everyone speculates. I've never heard of her saying she's Sailor Moon directly. o.o.

This is according to the Sailor Moon Wiki:

Quote :
Naoko Takeuchi had been stated in an interview that Sailor Cosmos is Sailor Moon's future form in 1998 during the San Diego Comic Con and for the now-defunct Smile Magazine.

Honestly though, I still think your theory is just as valid. Just because an author said something about a work years later, doesn't mean the work itself is altered. In the context of the story, your theory is still sound.

___________________________



Back to top Go down
http://ourinkedobsession.com
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

avatar

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™
Posts : 8932
Join date : 2013-07-25
Age : 30
Location : Indonesia


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   15th September 2014, 6:04 am

Ahh, interesting. I wonder why that isn't a more widely known fact. I suppose it is still rather ambiguous in a way.

But what you said reminded me of the whole JKR thinking Harry Potter should have married Hermione, lol.

___________________________

  
Avatar & signature by Diana
 ♥️ ♥️
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of da Norf.
Posts : 3022
Join date : 2014-02-26
Age : 23
Location : Who knows.


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   15th September 2014, 9:53 am

@Sailor Mercury wrote:
To me, she's probably a future Sailor Moon, just like Chibiusa might eventually become Sailor Moon instead of Sailor Chibi Moon. She's like a descendant really far into the future.

Yeah I agree.

@Sailor CJ wrote:
@Sailor Mercury wrote:
Did she ever say that? I only know that Naoko said she's not sure herself who Cosmos is. That's why everyone speculates. I've never heard of her saying she's Sailor Moon directly. o.o.

This is according to the Sailor Moon Wiki:

Quote :
Naoko Takeuchi had been stated in an interview that Sailor Cosmos is Sailor Moon's future form in 1998 during the San Diego Comic Con and for the now-defunct Smile Magazine.

Honestly though, I still think your theory is just as valid. Just because an author said something about a work years later, doesn't mean the work itself is altered. In the context of the story, your theory is still sound.

@Sailor Mercury wrote:
Ahh, interesting. I wonder why that isn't a more widely known fact. I suppose it is still rather ambiguous in a way.

But what you said reminded me of the whole JKR thinking Harry Potter should have married Hermione, lol.

I don't remember the exact problem with that quote but I believe one of the reasons people don't like to use it as evidence because I think the magazine/article that it comes from has translation errors or something.

___________________________

The wolf-sister to Diana. ♥ The Marsmellow: very crispy, much burnt.
Back to top Go down
http://tifa.co.vu/
Adelaide
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Unashamed Sailor Moon Crystal lover // Formerly Saturn Skyy - until I found out that it was the name of a car
Posts : 1044
Join date : 2013-03-07
Age : 26
Location : Arendele


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   20th September 2014, 10:53 am

Yunie wrote:
@Sailor Mercury wrote:
To me, she's probably a future Sailor Moon, just like Chibiusa might eventually become Sailor Moon instead of Sailor Chibi Moon. She's like a descendant really far into the future.

Yeah I agree.

@Sailor CJ wrote:
@Sailor Mercury wrote:
Did she ever say that? I only know that Naoko said she's not sure herself who Cosmos is. That's why everyone speculates. I've never heard of her saying she's Sailor Moon directly. o.o.

This is according to the Sailor Moon Wiki:

Quote :
Naoko Takeuchi had been stated in an interview that Sailor Cosmos is Sailor Moon's future form in 1998 during the San Diego Comic Con and for the now-defunct Smile Magazine.

Honestly though, I still think your theory is just as valid. Just because an author said something about a work years later, doesn't mean the work itself is altered. In the context of the story, your theory is still sound.

@Sailor Mercury wrote:
Ahh, interesting. I wonder why that isn't a more widely known fact. I suppose it is still rather ambiguous in a way.

But what you said reminded me of the whole JKR thinking Harry Potter should have married Hermione, lol.

I don't remember the exact problem with that quote but I believe one of the reasons people don't like to use it as evidence because I think the magazine/article that it comes from has translation errors or something.

Personally, I always felt like the quote where Naoko said even she didn't know was sort of a cop out.  I like knowing she apparently had a plan in mind.  At the same time though, we dont have to agree with Cosmos being Usagi, since its not canon. 

On a different note, one of the things that I enjoy about the manga and SMC so far is that the focus is on the main story rather than daily high school things.  In the original anime, I get really bored of hearing Usagi complain about homework, the other senshi wanting to meet cute guys, and watching the enemy attack normal school functions. I'm just really not that into the high school drama kinda stuf and love how the girls can have their teenage moments without the focus being there all the time
Back to top Go down
http://dianathemoonfairy.tumblr.com
SayakaSakura
Pyramidal Crystal

avatar

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Puella Magi|Alicorn Princess (also Demande's official fangirl <3)
Posts : 3156
Join date : 2014-09-12
Age : 16
Location : Labyrinth of Oktavia von Seckendorff


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   21st September 2014, 9:00 pm

i just wanted to point out a flaw in the manga that i hope Crystal will fix:
King Endymion and Sailor Pluto state that the Silver Crystal of the future can only work in the future,and the Silver Crystal of the past can only work in the past.
If thats so,then:
How come Chibiusa can transform outside of the 30th Century?
How come Sailor Moon was able to transform after Sailor Pluto died?

___________________________

 
                           Signatures made by Artemis,mangaka-chan,Radicaledward124,Marianne, Lust,,Plex-ly and other GC Members
                                                                             Formerly SailorKittyElyon


Last edited by SailorKittyElyon on 22nd September 2014, 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://caramelstarstriker.tumblr.com/ http://sailorcerise.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_llIfTH6pgwTxd68vKRzPw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Helios/Chibi Usa shipper
Posts : 679
Join date : 2013-04-09
Location : Sunny California


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   21st September 2014, 11:59 pm

SailorKittyElyon wrote:
i just anted to point out a flaw in the manga that i hope Crystal will fix:
King Endymion and Sailor Pluto state that the Silver Crystal of the future can only work in the future,and the Silver Crystal of the past can only work in the past.
If thats so,then:
How come Chibiusa can transform outside of the 30th Century?
How come Sailor Moon was able to transform after Sailor Pluto died?

Yeah, the continuity in the manga is very confusing sometimes. Regarding Chibi Usa's crystal in the 20th century, IIRC, Venus and Usagi were respectively holding onto the future and past Silver Crystals when Pluto died. The crystal that formed from Black Lady's tear was Chibi Usa's very own silver crystal, and presumably Neo Queen Serenity's silver crystal was returned to her by Venus when the queen awakened. 

That explains why Chibi Usa was able to use a silver crystal in the 20th century. It was confirmed during the climax of the Death Buster arc that Mistress 9 had obtained Chibi Moon's silver crystal.  Then at the end of the Dream arc we are introduced to the Pink Moon Crystal. So it seems Chibi Usa obtained her own silver crystal when she awakened as a sailor senshi, and her silver crystal later evolved into the pink moon crystal. That would explain why she can transform using the silver crystal: because she wasn't using her mother's silver crystal, but was using her own crystal all along. That's my current theory at least. :p

___________________________

Signature by NQS, Sailor Mercury, Serenyve, and myself
Back to top Go down
http://mangakachan.tumblr.com/ http://mangaka-chan.deviantart.com/
GreenPea501
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Offical kpop-veggie
Posts : 1156
Join date : 2014-03-15
Age : 32
Location : jung taekwoon's apartment


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   26th September 2014, 9:47 am

i never really read the manga ive only seen the anime but i wanted to add on to the chibiusa and her crystal convo... OK..... using the last myu as a starting point, we see chibiusa being "teased" [for a lack of a better word] for not being able to use the silver crystal. i look at like this, it was never hers to start with. because IF she had been a child of the moon [meaning serenity didn't marry endy at all and had chibi like all the other moon queens had their child [how ever that may be.] she would have been passed the silver crystal, BUT since she is the child of the earth AND moon she a special case and ends up with her own crystal in the end that is in a sense a combation of the golden cystal and the silver crystal. it is said that she just stopped growing right? maybe the fact that she is both the princess of the earth and princess of the moon had something to do with it? -shrugs, just my 2 cents-

___________________________

Credit for the avatar to Neo Queen Serenity and sig to diana
Back to top Go down
https://starlightumma.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/BSBangel
Adelaide
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Unashamed Sailor Moon Crystal lover // Formerly Saturn Skyy - until I found out that it was the name of a car
Posts : 1044
Join date : 2013-03-07
Age : 26
Location : Arendele


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   26th September 2014, 6:13 pm

I've always wondered  if queen serenity having the same crystal as  her daughter was normal for the moon royalty. Of course we never saw more of their people.

I just find it odd that they share a crystal considering that it is also their star seed.
Back to top Go down
http://dianathemoonfairy.tumblr.com
Cosmos-Hime
Moderator

avatar

Moderator

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆
Posts : 11005
Join date : 2014-11-14
Age : 25
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow...


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   16th November 2014, 8:48 pm

The lack of character development for the other main characters. In terms of round characters, we've got Usagi, Chibiusa and Mamoru. That's it. The rest of them seem more or less background characters easy to dispose of. (Death, capture, brainwash, repeat.) Sailor Venus was a round character until the super arc; then she just kinda fell in line with the rest of them.

___________________________


 GC's Official Sailor Cosmos
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
SayakaSakura
Pyramidal Crystal

avatar

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Puella Magi|Alicorn Princess (also Demande's official fangirl <3)
Posts : 3156
Join date : 2014-09-12
Age : 16
Location : Labyrinth of Oktavia von Seckendorff


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   28th June 2015, 4:50 am

Just before i start, i want to clarify something: I don't like the manga. I'll try not to rant too much on here, since it would make me look like an angry SJW. If you DO want to see me rant, you can find the RoR i did on DeviantArt about the Sailor Moon manga.

1.The manga's pace bugs me a lot. It's way too fast which means character development is scarce and a lot of characters with great potential get shafted pretty quickly (i'm looking at you Animamates). I've heard a similar argument with the anime and how it has too much "boring" filler. Well this "boring' filler was not only fun to watch, it fleshed the characters out and gave them personalities, while in the manga many were just given brief once-overs of who they are.

2.Something that really bugs me about the manga is how all of the villains died. Even if they were being brainwashed and used (Dork Kingdom, Black Moon Clan, Souichi Tomoe) Sailor Moon just kills them off without a second thought. That doesn't sit right with me (yes, i am a great sympathizer with the villains.Can;t help it-some are just too awesome)

The only villains that were saved were the Amazoness Quartet and that's only because they were really Sailor Senshi. Prof Tomoes case infuriates me the most: he's Hotaru's father who has looked after her all her life and is the only family she had. Minute he gets possessed by Germatoid - "Oh god he's so evil instead of cleansing him which we totally have the power to do we will just blast him with a Sailor Planet Power and everything will be fine Hotaru won't care THAT HER FATHER IS DEAD"

3.Only Usagi, Mamoru and Chibiusa are important. I get that the stories supposed to revolve around this love story but your other characters need to be interesting too! They could be written out of the story completely and nothing would happen to the main storyline.

It may seem like i'm trying to butter up the original anime but these are my honest to god opinions. These three points are my main 3 problems, the rest are really small nitpicks (like Sailor Cosmos and the Senshi randomly floating during battles)

Since my rant is over, i shall mention the few things i like about the manga:

1. Outer Senshi in SuperS/Dream

2.Can't think of any more off the top of my head: if i remember i'll edit this post

___________________________

 
                           Signatures made by Artemis,mangaka-chan,Radicaledward124,Marianne, Lust,,Plex-ly and other GC Members
                                                                             Formerly SailorKittyElyon
Back to top Go down
http://caramelstarstriker.tumblr.com/ http://sailorcerise.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_llIfTH6pgwTxd68vKRzPw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami
Posts : 9844
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 27
Location : La La Land


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   28th June 2015, 11:58 am

Dream arc is the best arc in the manga in my opinion. Because it focuses on the other characters as well. The writing was balanced better.

___________________________

Magical Girl Cafe  
   formally Yamichan16    Ed's forum wife     Graphics by Mercury,Ed,Mi, and Marianne 
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity
Posts : 1974
Join date : 2015-07-09
Age : 15
Location : Land of 1,000 Dances


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   25th July 2015, 4:26 pm

Sometimes things would just happen and I'd be like, wait, hoe does that work? And read through the last few pages to try to understand what happened. One of those things was the end of Stars. It took me a while to figure out how it all worked. But I agree with all the "hits" so to speak, that have been stated here.

___________________________

Sig is MIA until I get the time to sit down and mess around with stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
Cosmos-Hime
Moderator

avatar

Moderator

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆
Posts : 11005
Join date : 2014-11-14
Age : 25
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow...


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   25th July 2015, 5:13 pm

To add to the discussion, I would have liked the background characters to appear on a bit more of a regular basis. (the Tsukino family, Umino, Naru, Motoki ect.) They were really prominent in the first two arcs, but just fall off the face of the planet once Neptune and Uranus make the scene.

___________________________


 GC's Official Sailor Cosmos
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Princess Sailor Mai
Pyramidal Crystal

avatar

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Galaxy Cauldron's Official Princess Inspirit!
Posts : 402
Join date : 2015-11-17
Age : 27
Location : In the middle of nowhere between part-time work and needing a full-time career


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   6th December 2015, 10:48 pm

The only problem was the pacing of the series especially During and after the Dark Moon Arc.  But it really isn't her fault as Toei was rushing her because the Anime was so popular.  That is the main reason why there were so many fillers in the 90s anime(which fleshed each character so much).  Besides that, I liked everything.
Back to top Go down
Princess Sailor Mai
Pyramidal Crystal

avatar

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Galaxy Cauldron's Official Princess Inspirit!
Posts : 402
Join date : 2015-11-17
Age : 27
Location : In the middle of nowhere between part-time work and needing a full-time career


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   6th March 2016, 5:27 pm

I think this was covered in Codename: Sailor V.  They did start attacking but in a different way.  That was the reason why Artemis went to "wake" Minako up.
Back to top Go down
CosmosWonderfulMystery
Star Seed

avatar

Star Seed

Posts : 4
Join date : 2016-10-19
Location : UK


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   21st October 2016, 10:17 am

I think the things that drew me to the manga were its beautiful and emotional aspects. The manga has tons of flaws, with things like pacing, self-contradicting its own rules and canon, and having way to many characters and villains to keep track of and to give equal care, personality and interest. It strikes me Naoko was incredibly ambitious with this sereis, and either down to time-constraints or her iffyness as a writer, was very hit and miss with her results.

What saves the manga in my opinion are things like Usagi's bumbling flaws and how loving she is, the moments when we do get interesting character interactions like with Hotaru and Chibiusa in the Infinity Arc, or Pluto and Chibiusa, Usagi and Mamouru or the Inner Seshi being silly at school. The manga has beautiful ethereal artwork, reflecting moments when the story takes almost philosophical routes in its lore, mentioning death and sorrow, hope and rebirth. The ways, culture and powers of the Seshi inspired often by mythology are very interesting and leave room for you to add things in your own imagination. Usagi and Mam's love is a bit idealised in places, but you do genuinely feel they love each other, and Usagi does wind Mamouru up or let him down a bit sometimes.

I can see why people might dislike the manga or feel disappointed, and the anime does a lot that's just as powerful and in some ways better... I was very annoyed when the Starlites along with Luna and co vanished for no reason at the end, along with other things, haha. But for me the manga preference is deeply personal because the art and beauty of its story helps me remember the good and beauty in our world, the things it does right with characters and story inspires me with my own works in progress. I feel that story consistency and emotional aspects are both crucial in a tale, but if you only go with one, IN MY OPINION it should be soul, which I feel the manga and many aspects of the anime does have.
Back to top Go down
http://butdogsarebetter.tumblr.com/
magic713
Lotus Crystal

avatar

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki
Posts : 402
Join date : 2013-05-22
Age : 28
Location : Bald Mountain


PostSubject: Re: The manga's hits and misses.   15th December 2016, 5:13 pm

I'll start with misses

The biggest miss for me would be Stars arc (I know, I'm playing my usual tune). Dream ended on such a powerful note that Stars seemed highly unnecessary. Then seeing the Senshi we got to know for four arcs (not to mention Mamoru) get killed off so easily. We are introduced to Starlights, Sailor Kakyuu, meet Cosmos and learn about Sailor Senshi and the galaxy but then it ends without much expansion on this new information. The first read, it's intriguing, but after that, it's depressing and leaves for wanting. The manga does have some continuity errors (it seems to be a trapping when the stories involves time travel) and it moves pretty quickly, though I don't let this bother me.

The manga is a great story. While it most focuses on the title character, most of the arcs have one Act that gives one of the other Senshi some attention. It borrows some elements from mythology, classic stories, and even some real astronomy; while at the same time the story is very unique. And I love the relationship between Usagi and Mamoru. He is an important part of Usagi's life and has supported her through some difficult battles. The development of the relationship with the Outers was well plotted and the way they evolved throughout the story. And I love how Usagi can be such a klutzy, childish teen, then go through such hardships fighting to protect Earth, but never lets the darkness consume her as she fights on.

___________________________

Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
 

The manga's hits and misses.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Manga-